Honoring the Lost

Covid Memorial Recital

Photos by Dwight Andrews/Office of Communications

McGovern Medical Students Timothy George, Grace Kuang, and Jeff Jin as well as Ryan Huebinger, MD, play music from Chopin, Chaminade, and Rachmaninoff as part of the COVID Memorial Recital, Feb. 10 in the Fifth Floor Gallery. Organized by George, the recital honored the lives and sacrifices made, as well as the ongoing challenges surrounding COVID-19.

“I am grateful for all of the performers, especially Timothy George, for his conceiving of this meaningful event, and also to Dr. Anson Koshy, for his continued work in cultivating the arts here at McGovern Medical School,” Nathan Carlin, PhD, director of the McGovern Center for Humanities and Ethics, said.

“It’s hart to know what to say about a pandemic that has gone on now for nearly two years, as we approach a million lives lost in the United States,” Carlin continued. “I am a Presbyterian minister by training, and so I’m supposed to have something to say about death, but theses days I find that I am at a loss for words. Maybe in the face of such great tragedy words would be cheap anyway, and the better path is indeed art and music.”