Student bests bodybuilding competition

bodybuilders on stage

Joel Thomas, third from left, wins top place in bodybuilding competition.

They say hard work pays off, and for one McGovern Medical School student, dedication in the gym produced a top prize in bodybuilding.

Joel Thomas, as fourth-year Medical School student, recently was named the Overall Winner, Men’s Physique Class D, at the 2022 NPC Phil Heath Classic held in Bryan, Texas. The annual competition is named for Phil Heath, a seven-time Mr. Olympia. Thomas is now a Class of 2022 graduate.

Thomas trained at the UTHealth Houston Auxiliary Enterprises Recreation Center to stay in award-winning shape.

“Although I typically train by myself at the Recreation Center, I’ve formed a community of peers. There is always a mix of medical and dental students, residents, attendings, and I have been able to build friendships along my years of medical school,” he said.

And even though he is an award-winning athlete, as a medical student, studying comes first.

“Some advice I was given when I started medical school was to have one other thing to spend time on outside of school. Having a set schedule dedicated to studying is important, like 8 am to 4 pm or 8 am to 3 pm,” he said. “I learned to stay focused for however many hours I set for myself. After that, though, it’s your time for personal growth and to focus on yourself.”

A native of Dallas, Thomas first came to Houston for his undergraduate studies at the University of Houston. He is a member of the McGovern Medical School Student Senate and also helps out at The Children’s Assessment Center, providing mentorship to abused children. These interactions also have motivated Thomas.

“Whenever I’m struggling, I think back to when I was a care provider for this one little girl. She had a difficult life, and it motivates me through school to think of her when school becomes stressful,” he said.

His passion for nutrition and fitness will undoubtedly influence his medical career.

“I’m a big advocate for mental and physical health,” he said. “In my career as a future physician, I’d like to talk to patients about nutrition, exercise, and lifestyle behaviors and their impact on health. These components have played a huge role in my life, and I hope to share my experience and grow a community of people who can view medicine with a broader perspective.”