Dean F. Sittig, PhD, is a Professor at the School of Biomedical Informatics in The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston and a member of the UT Houston-Memorial Hermann Center for Healthcare Quality and Safety. Dr. Sittig's research interests center on the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of all aspects of clinical information systems. In addition to Dr. Sittig's work on measuring the impact of clinical information systems on a large scale, he is working to improve our understanding of both the factors that lead to success, as well as, the unintended consequences associated with computer-based clinical decision support and provider order entry systems.
Pubmed Search | Google Scholar Citations
- Sittig DF, Singh H, Longhurst CA. Rights and responsibilities of electronic health records (EHR) users caring for children. Arch Argent Pediatr. 2013 Dec;111(6). pubmed
- Smith M, Murphy D, Laxmisan A, Sittig D, Reis B, Esquivel A, Singh H. Developing Software to "Track and Catch" Missed Follow-up of Abnormal Test Results in a Complex Sociotechnical Environment. Appl Clin Inform. 2013 Jul 31;4(3):359-75. pubmed
- Davis Giardina T, Menon S, Parrish DE, Sittig DF, Singh H. Patient access to medical records and healthcare outcomes: a systematic review. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013 Oct 23. [Epub ahead of print]. pubmed
- Sittig DF, Singh H. A red-flag-based approach to risk management of EHR-related safety concerns. J Healthc Risk Manag. 2013;33(2):21-6. pubmed
- Meeks DW, Takian A, Sittig DF, Singh H, Barber N. Exploring the sociotechnical intersection of patient safety and electronic health record implementation. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013 Sep 19. [Epub ahead of print]. pubmed
- Sittig DF, Kahol K, Singh H. Sociotechnical evaluation of the safety and effectiveness of point-of-care mobile computing devices: a case study conducted in India. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013;192:515-9. pubmed
- Klann JG, McCoy AB, Wright A, Wattanasin N, Sittig DF, Murphy SN.Health care transformation through collaboration on open-source informatics projects: integrating a medical applications platform, research data repository, and patient summarization. Interact J Med Res. 2013 May 30;2(1):e11. pubmed
- Lanham HJ, Sittig DF, Leykum LK, Parchman ML, Pugh JA, McDaniel RR. Understanding differences in electronic health record (EHR) use: linking individual physicians' perceptions of uncertainty and EHR use patterns in ambulatory care. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013 May 22. [Epub ahead of print]. pubmed
- Singh H, Ash JS, Sittig DF. Safety Assurance Factors for Electronic Health Record Resilience (SAFER): study protocol. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2013 Apr 12;13:46. pubmed
- Sittig DF, Joe JC. Toward a statewide health information technology center. South Med J. 2010 Nov;103(11):1111-4. pubmed PDF
- Myers RB, Jones SL, Sittig DF. Review of Reported Clinical Information System Adverse Events in US Food and Drug Administration Databases. Applied Clinical Informatics 2011;2(1):63-74.
- Wright A, Sittig DF, Ash JS, Sharma S, Pang JE, Middleton B. Clinical decision support capabilities of commercially-available clinical information systems. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2009 Jun 30. pubmed
- Sittig DF, Teich JM, Osheroff JA, Singh H. Improving clinical quality indicators through electronic health records: it takes more than just a reminder. Pediatrics. 2009 Jul;124(1):375-7. pubmed PDF
- Campbell EM, Guappone KP, Sittig DF, Dykstra RH, Ash JS. Computerized provider order entry adoption: implications for clinical workflow. J Gen Intern Med. 2009 Jan;24(1):21-6.
- Ash J, Sittig DF, McMullen CK, Guappone K, Dykstra R, Carpenter J. A rapid assessment process for clinical informatics interventions. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2008 Nov 6:26-30.
- Guappone K, Ash J, Sittig DF. Field evaluation of commercial computerized provider order entry systems in community hospitals. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2008 Nov 6:263-7.
- Ash JS, Sittig DF, Dykstra R, Campbell E, Guappone K. The unintended consequences of computerized provider order entry: Findings from a mixed methods exploration. Int J Med Inform. 2008 Sep 10.
- Sittig DF. A Socio-technical Model of Health Information Technology-related e-Iatrogenesis. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2008 Nov 6:1209-10.
- Wright A, Bates DW, Middleton B, Hongsermeier T, Kashyap V, Thomas SM, Sittig DF. Creating and sharing clinical decision support content with Web 2.0: Issues and examples. J Biomed Inform. 2008 Oct 8.
- Sittig DF, Wright A, Osheroff JA, Middleton B, Teich JM, Ash JS, Campbell E, Bates DW. Grand challenges in clinical decision support. J Biomed Inform. 2007 Sep 21.
- Wright A, Sittig DF. A four-phase model of the evolution of clinical decision support architectures. Int J Med Inform. 2008 Mar 18.
- Wang SJ, Fuller CD, Kim JS, Sittig DF, Thomas CR Jr, Ravdin PM. Prediction Model for Estimating the Survival Benefit of Adjuvant Radiotherapy for Gallbladder Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2008 Mar 31.