Kevin O. Hwang, MD, MPH
6410 Fannin, UPB 1100
Houston, Texas 77030-3006
Academic office: 713-500-6441
Administrative assistant: 713-500-6712 (Elizabeth Moreno)
Appointment in general internal medicine clinic: 832-325-7100
Kevin O. Hwang, MD, MPH, is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston. He joined the faculty in 2007 after completing the medical school's Joint Primary Care Fellowship. He obtained his M.P.H. from the University of Texas School of Public Health. His research on Internet health communities and obesity has been funded by the Center for Clinical Research & Evidence Based Medicine as well as the Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston.
- Hwang KO, Etchegaray JM, Sciamanna CN, Bernstam EV, Thomas EJ. Structural social support predicts functional social support in an online weight loss program. Health Expectations. (In Press).
- Hwang KO, Stuckey HL, Chen MC, Kraschnewski JL, Forjuoh SN, Poger JM, McTigue KM, Sciamanna CN. Primary care providersâ€™ perspectives on online weight loss programs: A big wish list. J Med Internet Res. (In Press).
- Sciamanna CN, Kiernan M, Boan J, Miller CK, Rolls BJ, Jensen G, Hartmann TJ, Loken E, Hwang KO, Williams RJ, Clark MA, Schubart JR, Nezu AM, Lehman E, Dellasega C. Practices associated with weight loss versus weight-loss maintenance: Results of a national survey. Am J Prev Med. 2011; 41:159-66. pubmed
- Hwang KO Ottenbacher AJ, Lucke JF, Etchegaray JM, Graham AL, Thomas EJ, Bernstam EV. Measuring social support for weight loss in an Internet weight loss community. Journal of Health Communication. 2011 Feb;16(2):198-211. pubmed
- Hwang KO, Ottenbacher AJ, Green AP, Cannon-Diehl MR, Richardson O, Bernstam EV, Thomas EJ. Social support in an Internet weight loss community. International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2010;79:5-13.
- Hwang KO, Hamadah AM, Johnson CW, Thomas EJ, Goodrick GK, Bernstam EV. Screening for obstructive sleep apnea on the Internet: Randomized trial. American Journal of Medicine. 2009;122: 961.e1-961.e6.
- Nelson S, Hwang KO, Bernstam EV. Comparing clinician knowledge and online information regarding Alli (Orlistat). Int J Med Inf. 2009;78:772-7. Epub 2009 Aug 28.
- Hwang KO, Childs JH, Goodrick GK, Aboughali WA, Thomas EJ, Johnson CW, Yu SC, Bernstam EV. Explanations for Unsuccessful Weight Loss Among Bariatric Surgery Candidates. Obesity Surgery. 2009;19:1377-83. Epub 2008 Jun 10.
- Hwang KO, Farheen K, Johnson CW, Thomas EJ, Barnes AS, Bernstam EV. Quality of weight loss advice on Internet forums. American Journal of Medicine. 2007;120:604-609. pubmed
- Hwang KO, Kolarov S, Cheng L, Griffith RA. Stress ulcer prophylaxis for non-critically ill patients on a teaching service. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. 2007;13:716-721. pubmed
- Litvak DA, Hwang KO, Evers BM, Townsend, Jr CM. Induction of apoptosis in human gastric cancer by sodium butyrate. Anticancer Research. 2000;20:779-784. pubmed
- Litvak DA, Papaconstantinou HT, Hwang KO, Kim M, Evers BM, Townsend, Jr. CM. Inhibition of gastric cancer by camptothecin involves apoptosis and multiple cellular pathways. Surgery. 1999;126:223-230. pubmed
- Litvak DA, Evers BM, Hwang KO, Hellmich MR, Ko TC, Townsend, Jr. CM. Butyrate-induced Differentiation of Caco-2 Cells is Associated with Apoptosis and Early Induction of p21 and p27. Surgery. 1998;124:161-169. pubmed
- Papaconstantinou HT, Hwang KO, Rajaraman S, Hellmich MR, Townsend, Jr. CM, Ko TC. Glutamine Deprivation Induces Apoptosis in Intestinal Epithelial Cells. Surgery. 1998;124:152-159. pubmed