Hazim J. Safi, MD, FACS
- Professor and Founding Chair, Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery Department
- Chief, Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgery, Memorial Hermann Heart & Vascular Institute
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Aortic Surgery
- Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysms
- Vascular Surgery
Dr. Hazim J. Safi earned his medical degree at the University of Baghdad College of Medicine and completed his general surgery internship at Medical City Teaching Hospital in Baghdad and St. James Hospital in London, England. He completed his general surgical followed by his cardiothoracic residency at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, studying under Dr. Michael DeBakey.
Board certified in surgery, vascular surgery and thoracic surgery, Dr. Safi specializes in cardiothoracic surgery, aortic surgery, thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms and vascular surgery. His clinical interests include abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, acute aortic dissection, aneurysms, aortic root, aortic valve preservation, aortic valve surgery, ascending and arch aneurysm, coronary artery bypass, marfan syndrome and thoracoabdominal aneurysm repair.
Dr. Safi serves as professor and founding chair of the department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery at McGovern Medical School at UTHealth in Houston and chief of cardiothoracic and vascular surgery at Memorial Hermann Heart & Vascular Institute.
Listed as a Top Doctor by Houstonia magazine, Dr. Safi has authored or co-authored 30 book chapters and over 200 scientific articles in medical journals. His studies have helped improve surgical techniques that greatly improve outcomes. He lectures and gives workshops internationally to provide training for surgeons.
- Masters Degree
- Baghdad University College of Medicine, 1970
- General Surgery, Medical City Teaching Hospital, Baghdad, 1975
- General Surgery, St. James Hospital, London, English, 1977
- General Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, 1981
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, 1983
Dr. Safi has authored or co-authored 30 book chapters and over 200 scientific publications in medical journals. His studies have helped improve surgical techniques that greatly improve outcomes.
He lectures and gives workshops internationally to provide training for surgeons.
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- American Board of Surgery – Special Qualifications in General Vascular Surgery
- American Board of Surgery
Fellow, American College of Surgeons
Fellow, Royal College of Surgery (England)
Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
Fellow, American College of Cardiology
European Society of Vascular Surgery
Fellow, International Society for Heart Transplantation
Michael E. DeBakey International Cardiovascular Society
Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery
Society for Critical Care
Society for Vascular Surgery
Fellow, Society of Thoracic Surgery