Endowments serve as valuable incentive to attract the best and the brightest faculty and students to The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. An endowment is a permanent fund designated for a specific purpose by the donor. Earned income from the endowment account is used for that specified purpose (for example, to provide an annual scholarship), while the principal is never used, thus, the endowment is held in perpetuity.
There are several categories of endowments:
- Distinguished University Chair
- Distinguished Chair
- Distinguished Professorship
- Lecture Series
- Awards and Special Funds
Endowed Faculty Positions
Distinguished University Chair:
The Distinguished University Chair is the highest endowed position available and is bestowed to best of the best at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. A mark of great achievement, this honor signifies the valuable contribution made by the leading minds of the health science center. A $3 million gift is required to establish a Distinguished University Chair endowment.
A Distinguished Chair position is a high honor often bestowed to deans and division directors of special merit. This is a prestigious honor that serves as a great incentive when attracting high caliber educators and researchers for leadership positions at the university. A $2 million gift is required to establish a Distinguished Chair endowment.
An endowed Chair position is a distinction given to high-performing department leaders and senior faculty members. This honor is a valuable retention and recruitment tool that allows the university to recognize the efforts of current educators and researchers, as well as attract leaders in the health science community. A $1 million gift is required to establish a Chair endowment.
Distinguished Professorship funds support faculty as their skills are honed and their reputations as teachers and scientists grow. Designed to honor outstanding faculty members for their accomplishments, these position are another key factor in recruiting and retaining exceptional scholars. A $500,000 gift is required to establish a Distinguished Professorship endowment.
An endowed professorship recognizes rising stars and supports outstanding faculty. Funds from this type of endowment are typically used to help further research and teaching in areas of critical importance in the school. Endowed professorships help The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston encourage and retain the most talented faculty in the country. A $250,000 gift is required to establish a Professorship endowment.
Endowed fellowships are an excellent means of attracting high-performing graduate students. These students, in turn, make major contributions to the university’s research efforts. Fund income from this type of endowment is used to help support these research projects and, in many cases, to provide a small stipend to support the graduate student. As graduate students, these individuals have already matriculated well into their academic careers and many have already incurred substantial debt in financing their education. Without available endowments, a number of schools within our institution are finding it increasingly difficult to attract top students to these important research positions. A $25,000 gift is required to establish a fellowship endowment.
Creating an endowed scholarship allows our institution to attract the finest students, many of whom might not otherwise be able to afford to nurture their talents without the benefit of financial assistance. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit, but also may consider financial need and other factors, if the donor chooses. For example, one may wish to establish a scholarship specifically for students in a particular field of study. Scholarships may be structured as a one-time award or designed to assist students over the entire course of a multi-year degree plan, provided the students meet certain eligibility and academic standards. Scholarships may be named for the donor or to honor any individual the donor chooses.
Providing an endowment for a lecture series allows faculty and students to meet and learn from distinguished scholars. Funds from this type of endowment also may be used to finance travel expenses to bring such noted speakers to campus.
Awards and Special Funds:
Endowed awards and special funds are another important tool in recognizing and rewarding achievement with the university. These types of endowments may be designated for specific purposes, such as support of research of special interest to the donor. These endowments also may be used to establish awards for outstanding professors or students, scholarship or student loans or funds may be designated to support laboratories and research facilities. The amount necessary to establish an endowment for an award or special fund varies, depending upon the specific wishes of the donor and the design of the endowment.
* Deferred endowments are accounts that have not yet grown or generated enough interest to fund the intent of the endowment.
K. Lance Gould, M.D.
Richard S. Ruiz, M.D.
Robert M. Feldman, M.D.
John F. Hancock, M.D., Ph.D.
Richard J. Andrassy, M.D.
- Distinguished Chair in Molecular Pathology
Robert L. Hunter, Jr., M.D., Ph.D.
- Distinguished Chair in Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Gustavo Ayala, M.D.
- John S. Dunn Distinguished Chair in Radiology
Susan John, M.D.
- C.R. Bard Inc./Edward J. McGuire Distinguished Chair in Urology
Steven Canfield, M.D.
- Roy M. and Phyllis Gough Huffington Distinguished Chair
James C. Grotta, M.D.
- Nancy, Clive and Pierce Runnells Distinguished Chair of the Vivian L. Smith Center for Neurologic Research
- Robert A. Welch Distinguished Chair in Chemistry
John L. Spudich, Ph.D.
- C.R. Bard, Inc./Edward J. McGuire, M.D. Distinguished Chair in Urology
Ouida Westney, M.D.
- Marvin E. Chernosky, M.D. Distinguished Chair in Dermatology
Ronald Rapini, M.D.
- Frederic B. Asche Chair in Ophthalmology
John O’Brien, Ph.D.
- Elizabeth Bidgood Chair in Rheumatology
Maureen D. Mayes, M.D.
- Adriana Blood Chair in Neurology
Mya C. Schiess, M.D.
- President George Bush Chair in Cardiovascular Medicine
Dianna M. Milewicz, M.D., Ph.D.
- Denton A. Cooley, M.D., Chair in Surgery
Richard J. Andrassy, M.D.
- Cecil M. Crigler, M.D., Chair in Urology
Run Wang, M.D.
- Dr. Thomas D. Cronin Chair in Plastic Surgery
- John S. Dunn, Sr., Chair in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
William Dowhan, Ph.D.
- Fondren Chair in Cellular Signaling
Edgar T. Walters, Ph.D.
- Joseph C. Gabel, M.D., Chair in Anesthesiology
Carin Hagberg, M.D.
- Joe M. Green, Jr. Chair in Ophthalmology
Richard W. Yee, M.D.
- Roy M. and Phyllis Gough Huffington Chair in Gerontology
Carmel Dyer, M.D.
- Roy M. and Phyllis Gough Huffington Chair in Neurology
Jaroslaw Aronowski, M.D., Ph.D.
- Jesse H. Jones Chair in Molecular Biology
Ann-Bin Shyu, Ph.D.
- A. G. McNeese Chair in Pediatric Surgery
Kevin P. Lally, M.D.
- Elizabeth Morford Chair in Ophthalmology
Stephen C. Massey, Ph.D.
- Edward Randall, III Chair in Internal Medicine
James T. Willerson, M.D.
- Harvey S. Rosenberg, M.D., Chair in Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Robert E. Brown, M.D.
- Pat R. Rutherford, Jr. Chair in Psychiatry
Jair Soares, M.D.
- Edward T. Smith, M.D., Chair in Orthopaedic Surgery
Walter R. Lowe, M.D.
- June and Virgil Waggoner Chair
John H. Byrne, Ph.D.
- Bernice Weingarten Chair in Ophthalmology
Charles A. Garcia, M.D.
- Robert A. Welch Chair in Chemistry
John L. Spudich, M.D.
- James T. and Nancy B. Willerson Chair
David McPherson, M.D.
- Chair in Childhood Reading and Learning
- Linda K. Finger Chair in Autoimmune and Connective Tissue Diseases
Filemon K. Tan, M.D., Ph.D.
- Jack H. Mayfield, M.D. Chair in Surgery
John Holcomb, M.D.
- John P. McGovern, M.D. Chair in Medical Humanities
Thomas R. Cole, Ph.D.
- C. Frank Webber, M.D. Chair in Family Medicine
Carlos A. Moreno, M.D.
- Michelle Bain Distinguished Professorship in Medicine and Public Health
Jon E. Tyson, M.D., M.P.H.
- The Children’s Fund, Inc. Professorship in Pediatric Surgery Trauma
Charles S. Cox, M.D.
- H. Wayne Hightower Distinguished Professorship in the Medical Sciences David R. Park Professorship in Pediatric Medicine
Giuseppe Colasurdo, M.D.
- Roy M. and Phyllis Gough Huffington Distinguished Professorship in Anesthesiology
Jeffrey Katz, M.D.
- John P. McGovern, M.D., Distinguished Professorship in Ophthalmology
Stephen Mills, Ph.D.
- John Edward Tyson Distinguished Professorship in Cardiology
S. Ward Casscells, III, M.D.
- Richard Andrassy, M.D. Endowed Distinguished Professorship
Kevin P. Lally, M.D.
- James H. “Red” Duke, Jr., M.D. Distinguished Professorship in Surgery
Rosemary Kozar, M.D., Ph.D.
- Jack H. Mayfield, M.D. Distinguished Professorship in Surgery
Tien Ko, M.D.
- Vale Asche Russell Distinguished Professorship in Ophthalmology
- Dr. John T. Armstrong Professorship in Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences
- Bartels Family Professorship in Neurology
Jerry S. Wolinsky, M.D.
- Adriana Blood Professorship in Neurology
Mya C. Schiess, M.D.
- George S. Bruce, Jr. Professorship in Arthritis and Other Rheumatic Diseases
John D. Reveille, M.D.
- Robert K. Creasy, M.D., Professorship in Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences
Allan R. Katz, M.D.
- Herbert L. and Margaret W. DuPont Professorship in Biomedical Science
Theresa Koehler, Ph.D.
- Kraft W. Eidman Professorship in the Medical Sciences
James A. Ferrendelli, M.D.
- Gibson and Martha Gayle Professorship in Ophthalmology
Alice Chuang, M.D.
- Robert Greer Professorship in the Biomedical Sciences
Steve Norris, Ph.D.
- The Berel Held, M.D., Professorship in Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences
- Emma Sue Hightower Professorship in Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences
Sean C. Blackwell, M.D.
- Theodore R. and Maureen O’Driscoll Levy Endowed Professorship in Cardiology Research
Francisco Fuentes, M.D.
- Endowed Professorship in Forensic Pathology
Luis Sanchez, M.D.
- John B. Holmes Professorship in the Clinical Sciences
James H. Duke, Jr., M.D.
- Josey Professorship in Dermatology
Ronald Rapini, M.D.
- Mary W. Kelsey Professorship in the Medical Sciences
Herbert L. DuPont, M.D.
- The Michael Matthew Knight Memorial Professorship in Pediatrics
Susan Landry, Ph.D.
- Ernest L. Kurth, Jr. Professorship in Ophthalmology
- Alfred W. Lasher, III Professorship in Ophthalmology
Helen A. Mintz-Hitner, M.D.
- Stephen A. Lasher Professorship in Ophthalmology
Judianne Kellaway, M.D.
- Levit Family Professorship in the Neurosciences
Jack C. Waymire, Ph.D.
- John P. McGovern, M.D., Professorship in Oslerian Medicine
Bryant Boutwell, Dr.P.H.
- A. G. McNeese, Jr. Professorship in Ophthalmology
Nicholas P. Bell, M.D.
- J. Ralph Meadows Professorship in Internal Medicine
Barbara Murray, M.D.
- Richard Warren Mithoff Professorship in Neonatal/Perinatal Medicine
Kathleen Kennedy, M.D.
- David R. Park Professorship in Pediatric Medicine
- Opal C. Rankin Professorship in Neurology
Jerry S. Wolinsky, M.D.
- Griff T. Ross Professorship in Humanities and Technology in Health Care
Eric Thomas, M.D.
- Patti Jayne Ross Professorship in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Patti J. Ross, M.D.
- Dan and Lillie Sterling Professorship in Clinical Gastroenterology
Michael B. Fallon, M.D.
- Jay Brent Sterling Professorship in Cardiovascular Medicine
Richard W. Smalling, M.D., Ph.D.
- Walter and Ruth Sterling Professorship in Ophthalmology
Charles Ericsson, M.D.
- Dr. Carl V. Vartian Professorship in Infectious Diseases
To Be Appointed
- William M. Wheless, III Professorship in Biomedical Sciences
M. Neal Waxham, Ph.D.
- Mr. and Mrs. George T. Abell Lectureship in Neurology
- Harold Cooper Lectureship for the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Louis Faillace, M.D., Lecture Series
- William S. Fields Lectureship in Neurology
- Robert Gross Lectureship in Pediatric Surgery
- John H. Harris, Jr., M.D., D. Sc. Endowed Lecture Series
- Phyllis Gough Huffington Endowed Lecture Series
- Phyllis Gough Huffington Endowed Lecture Series II
- Sam and Elizabeth Nixon Visiting Lectureship in Family Practice
- Grant Taylor Lectureship Endowment Fund
- James J. and Una T. Truitt Medical Education Endowment
- Dr. Henry W. Withers Lectureship in Family Practice
- Walter Kirkendall, M.D., Endowed Lecture Series
- James T. Willerson, M.D. Endowed Lecture Series