Jonathan Rogg, MD, MBA
- Associate Professor
- Vice-Chair of Strategy and Operations
Dr. Jonathan Rogg MD MBA is Vice-Chair of Strategy and Operations in the Department of Emergency Medicine. His academic research focuses on enhancing Emergency Department care delivery, improving patient satisfaction, optimizing patient throughput times, and decreasing cost of care. Dr. Rogg has authored a number of related peer-reviewed articles and his work has also been published in the Harvard Business Review.
Dr. Rogg is an expert on physician leadership and regularly lectures in the Healthcare Management Certificate program offered to McGovern trainees in conjunction with the University of Houston Clear-Lake. He also helped develop and teaches the McGovern Medical School integrated Financial Wellness curriculum.
Prior to working at UTHealth, Dr. Rogg served as the Assistant Director of Emergency Department Operations at Massachusetts General Hospital and Instructor of Emergency Medicine at Harvard Medical School. He received two undergraduate degrees from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, in Biology and in Management from the Sloan School of Management. He earned an MD with research honors from Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston and trained in Emergency Medicine at the Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency at Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Hospital. He completed a fellowship in Emergency Department Administration at Massachusetts General Hospital and also holds an MBA from Harvard Business School.
- Medical School
- Tufts University School of Medicine
- Harvard Affiliated Emergency Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Fellowship (Emergency Department Administration)
- Massachusetts General Hospital\
- Harvard Business School
Areas of Interests
Cardiac Emergencies, Care Optimization
ED Operations, Cost of Care, Patient Satisfaction, Patient Wait Times
- Rogg, J.G., De Neve, J., Huang, C., Brown, D., Jang, I., Chang, Y., Marill, K., Parry, B., Hoffmann U., Nagurney J. The Triple Workup for Emergency Department Patients with Acute Chest Pain: How Often Does it Occur? Journal of Emergency Medicine.;40(2):128-34. 2011 Feb
- Rogg. J.G, White, B, Biddinger, P, Chang, Y, Brown, D.F.M. A Long Term Analysis of Physician Triage Screening in the Emergency Department. Academic Emergency Medicine.:20(4):374-380. 2013 April
- Rogg, J.G. Rubin, J. Tyler, Hansen, Paul, Liu, Shan W. The Frequency and Cost of Redundant Laboratory Testing for Transferred ED patients. American Journal of Emergency Medicine.;31(7):1121-3. 2013 Jul
- Rogg, J.G. Hoffmann, Udo, Truong, Quynh, Brown, David, Parry, Blair, Nagurney, John T. The Evaluation of Renal Function Tests by Age and Sex to Determine Emergency Department Patients’ Eligibility for Cardiac CT. Journal of Emergency Medicine. 45(2):220-7. 2013 Aug
- Rogg, J.G. Huckman, R. Lev, M. Raja, A. Chang, Y. White, B.A. Describing wait time bottlenecks for ED patients undergoing head CT. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2017 May.
- Pelsue B, Rogg, JG. A Case of Status-Epilepticus-Associated Transient Hyperammonemia in the Emergency department. Case Reports in Emergency Medicine. Epub 24 Dec 2017
- Chambers, Kimberly, Rogg, Jonathan, Sharma, Kunal, Vierling, Alan. How Hurricane Harvey Spurred a Houston Hospital to Rethink Emergency Care. Harvard Business Review (HBR.org). 2018 May 07
- Chu, Jamie Robin, Rogg Jonathan G. Case Report: acute Supraglottitis. Journal of Education & Teaching in Emergency Medicine. Epub 15 Jan 2020
- Chambers KA, Husain, I, Chathampally Y, Vierling A, Cardenas-Turanzas M, Cardenas F, Sharma K, Prater S, Rogg J. Impact of Hurricane Harvey on Health Care Utilization and Emergency Department Operations. West J of Emerg Med, 2020;21(3)586-594