The Purpose of the Faculty Review
- Help each faculty member set individual career goals that are realistic and concrete, and consistent with the missions of the department, school and institution.
- Provide a basis for reviewing/assessing past performance, career development and faculty goals vis a vis the expectations of the department chair and the institution.
- Supplement and, in some cases, quantify information provided in the faculty member’s curriculum vitae for administrative decisions which impact salary, promotion, and other faculty benefits.
NEW FOR SEPTEMBER 2015:
Your CV should contain all relevant activities, accomplishments and scholarly output covered in the review period.
Please provide context, explanation, or additional detail to add depth to the line-items in the CV, without restating these items. Note impediments encountered in achieving goals during the review period and, if appropriate, identify where departmental or institutional assistance may promote future success.
Instructions for the Faculty Member
- Complete sections of this form relevant to your accomplishments and responsibilities.
- Request each course/program director to provide a summary of your student/trainee evaluations.
- Your department chair (or a designated division head, section chief) will solicit peer input, discuss with you all of the information and provide written comments regarding your progress and career goals.
- Retain a copy of the completed review record (you will need it for the Six-Year Faculty Review).
Instructions for the Departmental Peer Committee
- Review the materials provided, including the summaries of the student/trainee evaluations.
- Identify level of performance (category 1, 2, 3, or 4) and comment as appropriate.
Instructions for the Department Chair/Division Director
- Assure objective evaluation by the Department Peer Committee.
- Set up a meeting to review and discuss information provided on this form (including the summaries of the student/trainee evaluations, peer evaluations and curriculum vitae) with the faculty member.
- Provide guidance concerning his/her career goals.
- Complete the evaluation by providing written comments about the faculty member’s progress and next year’s assignments/expectations.
- The Annual Faculty Review will be used by the Department and School Faculty Review Committees as part of the documentation for the Six-Year Faculty Review.