Message from Vice Chair
Dear faculty, staff, and trainees. It is my pleasure to serve as the Department’s Vice Chair of Diversity and Inclusion. I hope to help the Department continue to uphold the medical school’s mission of fostering a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment where all individuals, regardless of background, can thrive. I hope this commitment will not simply be something we say, but an intentional practice we incorporate into our respective work and our interactions with patients and each other. I believe we all have something to contribute.
About Me: After residency training in Internal Medicine and Global Health at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, followed by a detour to work in rural Malawi, I joined the Department in 2015. I have since had wonderful opportunities to explore numerous interests, including leading the Global Health Scholarly concentration for medical students, co-creating the Leadership in Medicine track for our IM residents, and conducting TB research based in Peru and Ukraine. I have also participated extensively in efforts to integrate holistic review in the GME recruitment process to enhance diversity.
Goals: In this role, my ultimate goal is to help build an inclusive department where everybody, regardless of background, feels a sense of belonging and has equitable access to opportunities for growth and career development. Some specific objectives and planned/ongoing activities include:
- Create a strategic plan for diversity and inclusion for the department
- Implement relevant diversity, equity and inclusion curricula for faculty, staff and trainees
- Expand use of holistic review in the selection process for residents and fellows
- Implement tools and systems to minimize bias and enhance recruitment/retention of diverse faculty and trainees
- Develop a mentoring program for junior faculty
- Provide ample opportunities for everyone to participate in the dialogue
- Collaborate with Division Directors and Fellowship Directors for the common purpose of improving diversity and inclusion
I welcome your suggestions and input. I also invite your participation in the department’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council, which convenes biweekly and provides an open forum for everyone to discuss ways to enhance diversity and promote equity and inclusion.