Resmi Gupta, PhD
- Assistant Professor, Clinical & Translational Sciences
Dr. Gupta joined UTHealth in August, 2020 as an Assistant Professor of Biostatistics in the Division of Clinical and Translational Sciences, in the Department of Internal Medicine. She also is an Assistant Professor in the Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Research Design (BERD) component of the Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences (CCTS) at UTHealth. Prior to joining UTHealth, she was a senior biostatistician in the Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center. Dr. Gupta received her PhD degree in Biostatistics from University of Cincinnati in 2019. Dr. Gupta has more than 12 years of experience collaborating with clinicians of various specialties. She has actively participated in publications and grant writing with biomedical investigators that involve the application of advanced statistical analysis methods. Specifically, she has successfully collaborated with clinicians and scientist in obtaining grant funding for clinical research projects focused on transgenerational effect of type 1 diabetes, bariatric surgery, sports medicine, voluntary parental consent on treatment decision making, and, cardiovascular disease. Currently, Dr. Gupta is engaged in collaboration with faculty in the Institute for Stroke and Cerebrovascular disease at UTHealth. She also serves as a faculty biostatistician of a statistical methodologic R03 grant with applications in Stroke, as well as other disorders. Dr. Gupta’s research interests focus on developing and applying innovative statistical methods motivated by complex biomedical and public health applications. In particular, her work focuses on developing predictive algorithms to analyze biomedical data, and translation of prediction models into point of care. An innovative contribution of her work includes developing statistical methods to analyze and reducing sampling bias for unbalanced irregularly sampled medical monitoring data, making way for new paradigms to link risk in real-time to disease-specific markers. Her area of research interests include univariate and multivariate joint modelling approach, longitudinal data analysis, functional data analysis and semiparametric regression. Dr. Gupta is an active reviewer of several statistical and clinical journals, and member of American Statistical Association, and International Biometric Society.
- Doctoral Degree
- Biostatistics, University of Cincinnati, Ohio
- Master Degree
- Biostatistics, State University of New York at Buffalo, New York
- Applied Economics, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- Economics, University of Calcutta, India
Areas of Interest
Univariate and multivariate joint modeling, Individual dynamic prediction modeling, Longitudinal data analysis, Functional regression, Semiparametric regression, Zero-inflated modeling techniques, Survival analysis.
- Gupta R, Khoury J, Altaye M, Jandarov R, Szczesniak R. Flexible Multivariate Joint Model of Longitudinal Intensity and Binary Process for Medical Monitoring of Frequently Collected Data. Statistics in Medicine, 1-14, 2021.
- Gupta R, Khoury J, Altaye M, Jandarov R, Szczesniak R. Assessing the Relationship between Gestational Glycemic Control and Risk of Preterm Birth in Women with Type 1 Diabetes: A Joint Modeling Approach. Journal of diabetes research, 3074532. doi:10.1155/2020/3074532, 2020.
- Gupta R, Khoury J, Jenkins TM, Ehrlich S, Boles R, Michalsky MP, Inge TH, Szczesniak R. A Bivariate Mixed Model Approach in Characterizing the Evolution of Longitudinal Body Mass Index and Quality of Life Processes in Adolescents with Severe Obesity Following Bariatric Surgery: A 5-Year Follow-Up of the Teen labs Cohort. Annals of Biometrics and Biostatistics, 5(1), 1033-1040, 2020.
- Khoury JC, Altaye M, Ehrlich S, Summer S, Ollberding NJ, Szczesniak R, Gupta R, Catalano P, Bowers K. Does Birth Weight Represent Imprinting for Life? Preliminary Findings from the Level and Timing of Diabetic Hyperglycemia in Utero: Transgenerational Effect on Adult Morbidity (TEAM) Study. Reports, 3(4):36, 2020.
- Bout-Tabaku S, Gupta R, Jenkins TM, Ryder J, Baughcum A. et al. Musculoskeletal Pain, Physical Function and Quality of Life Improve after Teen Bariatric Surgery. Pediatrics, 144(6):e20191399. doi:10.1542/peds.2019-1399, 2020.
- Dewberry LC, Jalivand A, Gupta R, Jenkins TM, et al. Weight Loss and Health Status 5 Years after Adjustable Gastric Banding in Adolescents. Obesity Surgery, 30(6):2388-2394. doi: 10.1007/s11695-020-04504-5 , 2020 .
- Gubanich PJ, Gupta R, Slattery E, Logan K. Performance Times for the King-Devick Test in Children and Adolescents. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, 29(5):374-378. doi:10.1097/JSM.0000000000000670, 2019.
- Quatman-Yates C, Bonnette S, Gupta R, Jason A. et al. Spatial and temporal analysis center of pressure displacement during adolescence: Clinical implications of developmental changes. Human Movement Science, 58, 148-154, 2018.
- Gupta R, Khoury J, Altaye M, Dolan L, Szczesniak R. Glycemic excursions in type 1 diabetes in pregnancy: A semiparametric statistical approach to identify sensitive time points during gestation. Journal of diabetes research, Article ID 2852913, dx.doi.org/10.1155/2017/2852913, 2017.
- Horowitz-Kraus T, Buck C, Gutpa R, Brown R. Comparison of the Orton-Gillingham and a Web-based Program in Children with Reading Difficulties. Journal of Childhood and Development Disorders, 3:3, 2017.
- Feng A, O’hara S, Gupta R, Fei L, Lin TK. Nomograms for the extrahepatic bile duct diameter in children. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition, 64(3):e61-e64. doi: 10.1097/MPG.0000000000001372, 2017.
- Hutton JS, Gupta R, Gruber R, Berndsen J, Dewitt T, Ollberding NJ, Van Ginkel, Ammerman RT. A randomized controlled trial of children’s book versus brochures for safe sleep knowledge and adherence in a high-risk population. Academic Pediatrics, 17(8): 879-886, 2017.
- Ryder JR, Edwards NM, Gupta R, Khoury J et al. Changes in Functional Mobility and Musculoskeletal Pain After Bariatric Surgery in Teens With Severe Obesity: Teen-Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery (LABS) Study. JAMA –Pediatrics, 170(9):871-877, 2016.
- Hugentobler JA, Gupta R, Slater R, Paterno MV, Riley MA, Quatman-Yates C. Influence of age on postural control measures and future implications of assessment. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, 26(6). doi: 10.1097/JSM.0000000000000286, 2016.
- Gupta R, Szczesniak R, Macaluso M. Modeling repeated count measures with excess zeros in an epidemiological study. Annals of Epidemiology, 25(8): 583- 589, 2015.
- Hor KN, Kissoon N, Mazur W, Gupta R, Ittenbach, RF, Al-Khalidi HR, Cripe LH et al. Regional circumferential strain is a biomarker for disease severity in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy heart disease. Pediatric Cardiology, 35(6), 2014.
- Myer G, Barber-Foss K, Gupta R, Hewett T, Ittenbach RF. Analysis of Patient Reported Anterior Knee Pain Scale: Implications for Scale Development in Children and Adolescents. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, 24(3):653-660. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-014-3004-7, 2014.
- Gupta R, Marino BS, Cnota JF, Ittenbach RF. Finding the Right Distribution for Highly Skewed Zero-Inflated Clinical Data. Epidemiology Biostatistics & Public Health, 10(1): 8715-8732, 2013.
- Drotar D, Ittenbach RF, Rohan JM, Gupta R, Pendley JS, Delamater A. Diabetes management and glycemic control in youth with type 1 diabetes: test of a predictive model. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 36:234-245, 2013.
- Quatman-Yates C, Gupta R, Paterno MV, Schmitt LC, Quatman CE, Ittenbach RF. Internal consistency and validity of the Quick Dash instrument for upper extremity injuries in older children. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics,33(8):838-842, 2013.
- Zussman M, Woodrow B, Gupta R, Hirsch R. Pulmonary Vascular Resistance in Repaired Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia vs. Age Matched Controls. Pediatrics Research, 71(6):697-700, 2012.
- Kindel SJ, Miller EM, Gupta R, Linda C, Hinton RB, Spicer RL, Towbin JA, Ware SM. Pediatric cardiomyopathy: importance of genetic and metabolic evaluation. Journal of Cardiac Failure,18(5): 396-403, 2012.
- Cnota JF, Gupta R, Michelfelder EC, Ittenbach RF. Congenital heart disease infant death rates decrease as gestational age advances from 34 to 40 weeks. The Journal of Pediatrics, 159(5): 761-765, 2011.
- Manning PB, Rutter MJ, Lisec A, Gupta R, Marino BS. One Slide Fits All: The versatility of slide tracheoplasty utilizing cardiopulmonary bypass support for airway reconstruction in children. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 141(1): 155-161, 2011.
- Van Wyck DB, Alcorn H, Gupta R. Analytical and Biological Variation in Measures of Anemia and Iron Status in Patients Treated With Maintenance Hemodialysis. American Journal of Kidney Disease, 56(3): 540-546, 2010.
- Brooks MB, MacNguyen R, Hall R, Gupta R, Booth JR. Indirect Carrier detection of Canine Hemophilia A using factor VIII Microsatellite Markers. Animal Genetics, 39: 306-309, 2008.
- Houck HR, Wilding GE, Gupta R, De Haven, Malony KE, Duncan A. Analysis of EMG patterns of control subjects and subjects with ACL deficiency during an unanticipated walking cut task. Gait and Posture, 25(4): 628-638, 2006.