Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship
Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship Match Application
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) and McGovern Medical School Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship program is currently accepting applications through the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE) Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship (AEF) Match program.
All applicants are reviewed by the UTHealth Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship Interview Selection Committee. Invitations for interviews are sent according to the ASGE AEF recommended timeline.
Candidates for the UTHealth AEF program must have an M.D. degree and have completed an accredited ABIM-certified Gastroenterology Fellowship before the start of the advanced fellowship. In addition, applicants must be United States citizens or permanent residents.
Online application packet consists of: ASGE Application, Post-Undergraduate Education, USMLE Scores (if necessary), Certificate of Completion of Residency, Personal Statement, Curriculum Vitae, and (3) Letters of Reference.
The selected candidate will serve in a one-year Instructor position between July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022.
UTHealth, in collaboration with Memorial Hermann – Texas Medical Center, utilizes state-of-the art endoscopic technology and facilities. Its advanced endoscopy team is nationally recognized as leaders in the field and provide a complete range of advanced endoscopic procedures.
The candidate will master all aspects of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures during the 1 year training program. The Center offers a variety of state-of-the-art advanced therapeutic endoscopic services, including:
Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Spyglass cholangioscopy & pancreatoscopy with biopsy, laser and electro-hydraulic lithotripsy
- Minor duct cannulation & stenting
- ERCP in altered surgical anatomy
- Radiofrequency ablation for malignant biliary strictures
Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)
- Diagnosis and staging of gastrointestinal malignancies
- Celiac Plexus Block: Pain management for patients with pancreas cancer and chronic pancreatitis
- EUS guided cyst-gastrostomy and enterostomy
- EUS guided gold fiducial placement: Guiding cyberknife radiation therapy
- EUS guided ERCP: For failed biliary/pancreatic cannulation
- EUS guided radio frequency ablation for pancreatic cyst and pancreatic tumors
- Volumetric laser endomicroscopy (NinePoint Medical) for Barrett’s esophagus
- Radiofrequency and cryoablation for Barrett’s esophagus
- Endoscopic mucosal resection for complex polyps and early cancer
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection of neoplasms
- Single and double balloon assisted enteroscopy
- Endoscopic stent placement
Endoscopic Bariatric Procedures
- Endoscopic gastric balloon placement
- Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty
- Endoscopic transoral outlet reduction (TORe) for gastric bypass revision
Endoscopic Antireflux Procedures
- Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication
- Stretta Procedure for GERD
The advanced endoscopy fellow will be expected to participate in the numerous research activities performed at the center with the advanced endoscopy attending including new endoscopy device clinical trials, clinical outcome research, pancreatico-biliary translational research, artificial intelligence utility in GI, medical trainee education, and quality improvement analysis. Our prior trainees have been highly successful in presenting their work at local and national conferences as well as publishing in peer-reviewed journals.
In the role of Instructor, the advanced endoscopy fellow will participate in the medical education of medical students, residents, and GI fellows during GI rounds and through didactics.
Bariatric Endoscopy and Minimally Invasive Surgery Rotation
As the year progresses, the advanced endoscopy fellow will have an opportunity to rotate and learn from the minimally invasive surgery group at UTHealth. The nationally renowned MIST faculty perform a high volume of bariatric surgical and endoscopic procedures including endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty.
Interventional Gastroenterology Faculty
Nirav Thosani, MD, MHA (Chief, Interventional Gastroenterology)
Sushovan Guha, MD, MA, PhD, FASGE, AGAF
R. Tomas DaVee, MD, MSCI
Ricardo Badillo, MD (Program Director)
Srinivas Ramireddy, MD
Marc F. Catalano, MD, FACP, FACG, FASGE, AGAF
For any questions, please contact the Program Coordinator:
Kimberly A. Bibbs