McGovern Medical School at UTHealth Program – American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE)
The McGovern Medical School GI Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship annual application access is November 1, 2017 and the deadline is March 2, 2018. All applicants are completely reviewed by the UT GI Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship Interview Selection Committee. Invitations for interviews are sent beginning March 16, 2018.
Candidates for the gastroenterology fellowship-training program must have a M.D. degree, and have completed an accredited US Gastroenterology Fellowship. The ideal candidate must also demonstrate an interest in research and preference for an academic career. In addition, applicants must be United States citizens or permanent residents.
ASGE: The McGovern Medical School at UTHealth Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship participates in the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE). For details on how to apply, please visit: https://www.asge.org/home/education-meetings/training-trainees/advanced-endoscopy-fellowship-(aef). Online application packet consists of: ASGE Application, Post-Undergraduate Education, USMLE Scores (if necessary), Certificate of Completion of Residency, Personal Statement, Curriculum Vitae, and (3) Letters of Reference.
The selected candidate will serve in a one-year Instructor position.
**This will be one-year position from July 1, 2019-June 30, 2020**
UTHealth, in collaboration with Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, utilize state-of-the art endoscopic technology and facilities. Its advanced endoscopy team is nationally recognized as leaders in the field and provide a complete range of advanced procedures.
Goals & Objectives:
The candidate will master all aspects of diagnostic and therapeutic ERCP, Cholangio-Pancreatoscopy, Endoscopic Ultrasound, Endoscopic Suturing, Endoluminal Stenting, Endoscopic Mucosal Resection/Dissection, RFA, Double/Single Balloon Enteroscopy, and Transesophageal Incisionless Fundoplication.
The Center offers a variety of state-of-the-art advanced therapeutic endoscopic services, including:
Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Spyglass cholangioscopy & pancreatoscopy with biopsy, laser and electro-hydraulic lithotripsy
- Minor duct cannulation & stenting
- ERCP in altered surgical anatomy
- Radiofrequency ablation for malignant biliary strictures
Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)
- Diagnosis and staging of gastrointestinal malignancies
- Celiac Plexus Block: Pain management for patients with pancreas cancer and chronic pancreatitis
- EUS guided cyst-gastrostomy
- EUS guided gold fiducial placement: Guiding cyberknife radiation therapy
- EUS guided ERCP: For failed biliary / pancreatic cannulation
- EUS guided radio frequency ablation for pancreatic cyst and pancreatic tumors
- Volumetric laser endomicroscopy (NinePoint Medical) for Barrett’s esophagus
- Radiofrequency and cryoablation for Barrett’s esophagus
- Endoscopic mucosal resection for complex polyps and early cancer
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection of neoplasms
- Single and double balloon enteroscopies
- Endoscopic stent placement
Endoscopic Bariatric Procedures
- Endoscopic gastric balloon placement
- Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty
- Endoscopic transoral outlet reduction (TORe) for gastric bypass revision
Endoscopic Antireflux Procedures
- Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication
- Stretta Procedure for GERD