This process is only for the department of Internal Medicine at UT Health. If you would like to apply for a visiting position in a different department, you will need to contact that department.
- The first step in obtaining an observership with the UT Health’s Internal Medicine department is to secure faculty sponsorship. The department does not have a list of faculty that regularly accept observers. It is the responsibility of the applicant to research Internal Medicine faculty and reach out, either by email or by phone, the physician and explain that he/she is looking for that particular physician to sponsor them. Faculty from other specialties cannot be the sponsor for and Internal Medicine observership/professional trainee/pre-baccalaureate trainee/visiting student trainee/visiting scientist.
- Once the applicant has obtained a faculty sponsor, the applicant must review the application instructions to determine which category is appropriate for the applicant to apply under. This needs to be discussed with the faculty sponsor before completing the application. Beginning with the first page of the application (not including the directions), the applicant must complete pages 1-4 TYPED and attach all supporting documentation, as outlined by the application.
- Once the applicant has completed his/her portion, the entire application must be forwarded to the faculty sponsor for completion of the faculty sponsor portion (pages 5-6; if applicable, the Pre-Baccalaureate/Professional Trainee Plan).
- Upon completion of the application by the applicant and faculty sponsor, the entire application, with the appropriate fees, should be forwarded by the Administrative Contact of the Faculty Sponsor for signature by the Vice Chair for Education.
- Once the application has been signed by the Vice Chair, it will be returned to the Faculty Sponsor for further processing.
***** Applications submitted less than 4 weeks in advance of the desired start date will be returned without review.