This extracurricular course will expose students to various religions of Houston and greater Harris County and their associated prayer environment, religious leaders in the community, and congregation members. By visiting places of worship and interacting with faith members, we will address topics of faith, its impacts on health and even health’s impacts on faith. The major religions covered in this course include but are Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, and Zoroastrian.
- Expose students to the teachings and both physical and emotional environment of diverse places of worship.
- Present an intersection of faith, spirituality, health, and disease in the context of several major religions in Houston.
- Engage students in reflective thinking of their role in acknowledging and addressing a patient’s religion and spirituality.
To receive course credit, students must do the following:
- Attend an information session February 5th (MSB B.603 from 12:00-1:00 pm),
- Attend 5 of the 6 sites,
- Complete a pre- and post-elective survey, and
- Produce a short reflection piece at the end of the course.
This elective is coordinated by Nicholas King (MS2), Sam Joseph (MS3) and Lawrence Lin, and is advised and sponsored by Dr. Nathan Carlin, Dr. Thomas Cole, Mr. Stuart Nelson, and by the John P. McGovern Center for Humanities and Ethics, and the Institute for Spirituality and Health.
All sessions are scheduled for 11:00 am – 1:00 pm at the locations noted unless otherwise specified. Specific dates (Saturday vs. Sunday) are subject to change but the weekend specified is set.
Schedule for Spring 2018
|Hinduism||BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir
1150 Brand Ln
Stafford, TX 77477
|Islam||Islamic Society of Greater Houston – Masjid
3110 Eastside St
Houston, TX 77098
|Christianity||Fountain of Praise Church
13950 Hillcroft St
Houston, TX 77085
|Buddhism||Jade Buddha Temple
6969 Westbranch Dr
Houston, TX 77072
|Judaism||Jewish Family Services
4131 S Braeswood Blvd
Houston, Tx 77025
8787 W Airport Blvd
Houston, TX 77071
For more information about this course, or registration for this class, or any other questions, please contact Nicholas King at Nicholas.E.King@uth.tmc.edu.