UTH Share – Enabling Two-Factor Authentication
This page will provide instructions on how a current UTHealth employee can enable their UTH Share account to use Google’s two-factor authentication system.
To store PHI data on such an account, the following items are required:
- A valid, active UTHealth network account. Contact your department LAN Manager for assistance if you don’t currently have a network account.
- A valid, active UTH Share account. If you do not currently have an active UTH Share account, go to the UTH Share Sign Up Page to open a UTH Share account. Once this account is set up, you will have a non-PHI enabled UTH Share account, and can now go to to the Procedure section that follows.
- You must have already enabled PHI access on your UTH Share account.
Use the following procedure to enable access to Google’s two factor authentication system.
- Sign into UTH Share click on the grid in the top right and select My Account.
- Click Sign-In and Security on the My account screen.
- Click 2-Step Verification (Google’s term for two-factor authentication) under the password and sign in method category.
- Click Start Setup.
- Enter the phone number of the device that you want to use for 2-Step Verification.
- You will receive a verification code via text messaging on the phone you have designated for 2-Step Verification. Enter the code at the next screen.
- Check the checkbox marked Trust This Computer, and then click Next.
- At the next screen, click Confirm.
- Download Duo Mobile if you do not already have it from the App Store for the type of mobile phone you will be using: iPhones | Android Phones
- Next, click on Switch to App on the verification code screen.
- Select your device type at the next screen.
- Open the Duo Mobile app on your phone and click the “+” button in the top right.
- Scan the QR code displayed on the screen with your smart phone’s camera.
- Next, you will then see the follow screen displayed.
Procedure has been completed. You are now set up on two-factor authentication.