Dr. Vahidy worked as an emergency and field medicine physician for about 15 years in various demanding healthcare environments after completing his medical training. During this time he also obtained a Masters in Public Health. His terminal research degree is a PhD in epidemiology and biostatistics from UTHealth School of Public Health. He has further completed a year-long Stroke Research fellowship of the NIH Stroke Net, and is a clinical research fellowship scholar at Harvard Medical School. He is currently appointed as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Neurology, with additional cross faculty appointments at the Center for Clinical Research and Evidence Based Medicine, and the Biostatistics / Epidemiology Research Design Core at UTHealth.
Over the last decade, he has devoted his time to stroke research at UTHealth. He played an instrumental role in planning, design, operationalization, analysis, and reporting for one of the first clinical trials in the United States exploring the use of cellular therapy for stroke patients. This work became the focus of his doctoral dissertation. He has led several projects, resulting in over 60 presentations at international conferences and multiple manuscripts for prevention, acute management, and rehabilitation for stroke patients in top tier journals such as Stroke, Neurology, JAMA Neurology, and Annals of Neurology. He is a peer reviewer for several journals, for the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and for the American Heart and Stroke Association. Dr. Vahidy also serves as the Director of the Data Management & Analysis Core of the Institute for Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease at UTHealth. He leads a team of programmers, data quality managers, and analysts who provide data infrastructure for stroke research at UTHealth and integrate data with the Memorial Hermann Hospital for its system-wide certification as a comprehensive stroke center.
Dr. Vahidy is independently funded through the state of Texas to study health services impact on long term outcomes among patients with intracerebral hemorrhage. His research interests are primary and secondary stroke prevention, impact of health systems and healthcare delivery on stroke patients’ outcomes, development and validation of patient-centered outcomes, national disparities and trends in stroke treatment, and application of big data analytics to understand and improve outcomes among stroke patients.
A full list of Dr. Vahidy’s publications is available here.
- Quaid-e-Asam University, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Masters in Public Health
- University of Health Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan
- University of Texas, School of Public Health
Areas of Interests
Primary and Secondary prevention of Stroke, Epidemiology of Stroke, Quality of Stroke Care and Stroke Outcomes, and Stroke Recovery research
1. Paciaroni M, Balucani C, Agnelli G, Caso V, Silvestrelli G, Grotta JC, Demchuk AM, Sohn SI, Orlandi G, Leys D, Pezzini A, Alexandrov AV, Silvestrini M, Fofi L, Barlinn K, Inzitari D, Ferrarese C, Tassi R, Tsivgoulis G, Consoli D, Baldi A, Bovi P, Luda E, Galletti G, Invernizzi P, DeLodovici ML, Corea F, Del Sette M, Monaco S, Marcheselli S, Alberti A, Venti M, Acciarresi M, D’Amore C, Macellari F, Lanari A, Previdi P, Gonzales NR, Pandurengan RK, Vahidy FS, Sline M, Bal SS, Chiti A, Gialdini G, Dumont F, Cordonnier C, Debette S, Padovani A, Cerqua R, Bodechtel U, Kepplinger J, Nesi M, Nencini P, Beretta S, Trentini C, Martini G, Piperidou C, Heliopoulos I, D’Anna S, Cappellari M, Donati E, Bono G, Traverso E, Toni D. Systemic thrombolysis in patients with acute ischemic stroke and Internal Carotid ARtery Occlusion: the ICARO study. Stroke 2012 Jan; 43(1):125-30.
2. Vahidy FS, Alderman S, Savitz SI. Challenges enrolling patients with acute ischemic stroke into cell therapy trials. Stem Cells Dev. 2013 Jan; 22(1):27-30.
3. Vahidy FS, Rahbar MH, Lal AP, Grotta JC, Savitz SI. Patient refusal of thrombolytic therapy for suspected acute ischemic stroke. Int J Stroke. 2012 Dec. PMID 23227830
4. Sahota P*, Vahidy F*, Nguyen C, Bui TT, Yang B, Parsha K, Garrett J, Bambhroliya A, Barreto A, Grotta JC, Savitz SI. Changes in spleen size in patients with acute ischemic stroke: a pilot observational study. Int J Stroke. 2013;8:60-7. *Contributed equally as first author
5. Sarraj A, Medrek S, Albright K, Martin-Schild S, Bibars W, Vahidy F, Grotta JC, Savitz SI. Posterior circulation stroke is associated with prolonged door-to-needle time. Int J Stroke. 2013 Mar. PMID: 23521891 [Epub ahead of print]
6. Rahbar MH, Gonzales NR, Ardjomand-Hessabi M, Tahanan A, Sline MR, Peng H,
Pandurengan R, Vahidy FS, Tanksley JD, Delano AA, Malazarte RM, Choi EE, Savitz SI, Grotta JC. The University of Texas Houston Stroke Registry (UTHSR): implementation of enhanced data quality assurance procedures improves data quality. BMC Neurol. 2013 Jun; 13:61.
7. Sarraj A, Albright K, Barreto AD, Boehme AK, Sitton CW, Choi J, Lutzker SL, Sun CH, Bibars W, Nguyen CB, Mir O, Vahidy F, Wu TC, Lopez GA, Gonzales NR, Edgell R, Martin-Schild S, Hallevi H, Chen PR, Dannenbaum M, Saver JL, Liebeskind DS, Nogueira RG, Gupta R, Grotta JC, Savitz SI. Optimizing prediction scores for poor outcome after intra-arterial therapy in anterior circulation acute ischemic stroke. Stroke. 2013 Dec; 44:3324-30.
8. Alderazi YJ, Barot NV, Peng H, Vahidy FS, Navalkele D, Sangha N, Misra V, Savitz SI. Clotting Factors to Treat Thrombolysis-Related Symptomatic Intracranial Hemorrhage in Acute Ischemic Stroke. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2014 Mar; 23(3):e207-14.
9. Savitz SI, Cramer SC, Wechsler L, et al. Stem cells as an emerging paradigm in stroke 3: enhancing the development of clinical trials. Stroke. 2014 Feb; 45:634-9.
10. Hanley PJ, Durett AG, da Graca Cabreira-Harrison M, Klis M, Li W, Zhao Y, Yang B, Parsha K, Mir O, Vahidy F, Bloom D, Rice RB, Hematti P, Savitz SI, Gee AP. Efficient manufacturing of therapeutic mesenchymal stromal cells with the use of the Quantum Cell Expansion System. Cytotherapy. 2014 April 10. Doi: 10.1016/j.cyt.2014.01.417 [Epub ahead of print]
11. Wu TC, Nguyen C, Ankrom C, Yang J, Persse D, Vahidy F, Grotta JC, Savitz SI. Prehospital Utility of Rapid Stroke Evaluation Using In-Ambulance Telemedicine: A Pilot Feasibility Study. Stroke. 2014 Jun 17. PMID 24938842 [Epub ahead of print]
12. Vahidy FS, Hick WJ, Acosta I, Hallevi H, Peng H, Pandurengan R, Gonzales NR, Barreto AD, Martin-Schild S, Wu TC, Rahbar MH, Bambhroliya AB, Grotta JC, Savitz SI . Neurofluctuation in Patients with Subcortical Ischemic Stroke. Neurology. 2014 Jun 25. PMID 24966405 [Epub ahead of print]
13. Sangha N, Albright KC, Peng H, Vahidy F, Boehme A, Chen Z, Savitz SI. Misdiagnosis of Cerebellar Infarctions. Can J Neurol Sci. 2014 Sep; 41(5):568-71. Doi: 10.1017/cjn.2014.4. PMID 25373805 [PubMed – in process]