Dr. Haris Kamal graduated medical school with honors at Yerevan State Medical University in Armenia. Subsequently, he completed an year of medical internship at a state hospital in New Delhi, India. He developed an interest in cerebrovascular disease while doing an away rotation at the Gates Hospital in Buffalo, NY. After completing residency in Neurology where he served as the Chief Resident at the State University of New York at Buffalo, Dr. Kamal pursued a Vascular Neurology fellowship at UT Houston.
Dr. Kamal has been awarded the Micheal E. Cohen resident research award for best research project two years in a row at SUNY Buffalo. He has also been awarded the Edward Fogan resident award for the highest standards of neurological practice and compassionate care, American Academy of Neurology Fellow travel award, American Society of Neuroimaging Resident Travel award and the UT Houston Fellowship teaching award. He was also inducted to the Gold Honor Humanism Society during residency.
Besides being involved in teaching residents, students and fellows in clinics and on service, Dr. Kamal enjoys clinical research in cerebrovascular disease and has authored multiple abstracts, publications and book chapters which have been presented at national and international conferences.
- Medical Degree
- Yerevan State Medical University - Yerevan, Armenia
- Neurology, State University of New Yourk at Buffalo - Buffalo, New York
- Vascular Neurology, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth - Houston, TX
Areas of Interests
Ischemic Stroke, Intracranial Hemorrhage, Endovascular treatments for stroke, Advanced Vascular Neuroimaging in acute stroke, Cerebral Ultrasonography in acute stroke, Hypothermia for malignant infarcts
Perfusion imaging in acute stroke, Predictors of stroke intervention outcomes, Pathophysiology of ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes, Factors affecting integrity of blood brain barrier, Safety of thrombolysis in acute stroke, Endothelial dysfunction after recanalization using stent retrievers
Acute stroke management and treatments have developed by leaps and bounds in the past 2 decades. The quest for selecting the appropriate patients for the right therapy is greater than ever now. Dr.Kamal’s research interests are to develop pathways based on clinical and imaging factors which can help delineate the best treatment and care plan for each patient individually presenting to the hospital.
- Ashkan Mowla, Haris Kamal, Navdeep S Lail, Caila Vaughn, Peyman Shirani, Sandhya Mehla, Hamidreza Rajabzadeh-Oghaz, Christopher Deline, Marilou Ching, Annemarie Crumlish, Robert N Sawyer: Intravenous Thrombolysis for Acute Ischemic Stroke in Patients with Thrombocytopenia : Published in Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease April 2017.
- Haris Kamal, Sunil A Sheth : Intravenous and Arterial Treatments for Acute Ischemic Stroke: Indications and the Role of Imaging. Published in Topics in Magnetic Resonance Imaging March 2017.
- Haris Kamal, Aaron McMurtray, Mohammed Shafie, Ping Li, Bijal Mehta: Effect of heparin on recanalization in acute stroke patients with intra-arterial thrombi Published in Neurology International 2015;volume 7:5807.
- Haris Kamal,MD, Peyman Shirani,MD, Ashkan Mowla,MD : Recurrent stroke may occur very early after IV tPA : Published in Journal of Neurological Sciences, September 2015.
- Haris Kamal,MD, Ashkan Mowla, MD, S.Ali Nabavizadeh, MD Appendicular ataxia without position sense loss in a patient with parietal lobe infarct Published in Journal of Neurological Sciences, March 2015.
- Haris Kamal, MD, Ashkan Mowla, MD, S.Ali Nabavizadeh,MD ,Peyman Shirani, MD Early False-Negative Diffusion Weighted Imaging in Pontine Medical Longitudinal Fasciculus Infarction : Published in Journal of Neurological Disorders and Stroke , March 2015.
- Ping Li, Haris Kamal, Melissa Baxter, Bijal Mehta : Omega-3 fatty acid ethyl esters do not improve clopidogrel associated P2Y12 inhibition in stroke patients Published in Neurology International, April 2015.
- Karanbir Singh, Haris Kamal, Nicholas Silvestri : Diagnostic Clue from Brain MRI in a 91 year old with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Published in Open Journal of Medical and Clinical Case reports, April 2015.
- Mowla A, Singh K, Mehla S, Ahmed MK, Shirani P, Kamal Haris, Krishna C, Sawyer RN, Ching M, Siddiqui AH, Levy EL, Snyder KV, Crumlish A, Hopkins LN : Is acute reperfusion therapy safe in acute ischemic stroke patients who harbor unruptured intracranial aneurysms : Published in International Journal of Stroke, September 2015.
- AbdelRazek MA, Mowla A, Hojnacki D, Zimmer W, Elsadek R, Abdelhamid N, Elsadek L, Farooq S, Kamal Haris , Crumlish A, Shirani P, Ching M, Sawyer R : Prior Asymptomatic Parenchymal Hemorrhage does not increase the risk for intracranial hemorrhage after intravenous thrombolysis: Published in Cerebro-vascular Diseases, September 2015.
- Karanbir Singh, MBBS; Ashkan Mowla, MD; Sandhya Mehla, MBBS; Mohammad K. Ahmed, MBBS; Peyman Shirani, MD; Robert N. Sawyer, MD; Haris Kamal, MD; Annemarie Crumlish, CCRC; Marilou Ching, MD,MPH,FACP Safety of Intravenous Thrombolysis for Acute Ischemic Stroke in Patients with Pre-Existing Intracranial Neoplasms; A Case Series; Published in International Journal of Stroke , April 2015.
- Karanbir Singh, MD, Rajesh Gupta, MD, Haris Kamal, MD, Nicholas Silvestri, MD, Gil Wolfe, MD; Posterior Reversible Encephalopathy Syndrome Secondary to Blood Transfusion Published in Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, March 2014.
- Ghulam Mustafa, Max Mokim, Haris Kamal, Abdel Rehman Beltagy, Omar Kass hout, Bijal Mehta:Whole Brain CT Perfusion Deficits Using 320-Detector Row CT in TIA patients are associated with ABCD2 score: The International Journal of Neuroscience, January 2014.
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology