- University of Shanda, China
Areas of Interests
Ischemic stroke and hemorrhagic stroke
One of the principal goals of my research is to investigate and develop novel therapies for hemorrhagic and ischemic strokes. Using ischemic stroke models and intracerebral hemorrhagic stroke model in rodent (mouse and rat), we explore the pathophysiological changes in the brain, and study the neurological deficits using a battery of behavioral measurement after stroke.
Besides the in vivo animal models, we have set up also the in vitro cell injury models in primary brain cell culture system, which serve as complementary approaches, helping to understand each brain cell type’ specificity in response to stroke injury, the cross-talk between neurons and other glial cells, or the interaction between the inflammatory leukocytes (neutrophil, microglia and macrophages) and the brain cells (neurons, astrocytes and oligodendrocytes) in the injured brain. We measure the impact of these cell-cell interactions on inflammation development, hematoma reabsorption, brain cell damage and recovery.
In our laboratory, we have set up a living time-lapse imaging system that allows us to observe and study the cell-cell interaction in the living cells.
- Zhao, X., H. Wang, G. Sun, J. Zhang, N. J. Edwards and J. Aronowski (2015). Neuronal Interleukin-4 as a Modulator of Microglial Pathways and Ischemic Brain Damage. J Neurosci 35(32): 11281-11291.
- Zhao, X., G. Sun, S. M. Ting, S. Song, J. Zhang, N. J. Edwards and J. Aronowski (2015). Cleaning up after ICH: the role of Nrf2 in modulating microglia function and hematoma clearance. J Neurochem 133(1): 144-152.
- Zhao, X. R., N. Gonzales and J. Aronowski (2015). Pleiotropic role of PPARgamma in intracerebral hemorrhage: an intricate system involving Nrf2, RXR, and NF-kappaB. CNS Neurosci Ther 21(4): 357-366.
- Zhao, X., G. Sun, J. Zhang, S. M. Ting, N. Gonzales and J. Aronowski (2015). Dimethyl Fumarate Protects Brain From Damage Produced by Intracerebral Hemorrhage by Mechanism Involving Nrf2. Stroke 46(7): 1923-1928.
- Zhao, X., G. Sun, H. Zhang, S. M. Ting, S. Song, N. Gonzales and J. Aronowski (2014). Polymorphonuclear Neutrophil in Brain Parenchyma After Experimental Intracerebral Hemorrhage. Transl Stroke Res. 5(5):554-61.
- Zhao, X. and J. Aronowski (2013). Nrf2 to pre-condition the brain against injury caused by products of hemolysis after ICH. Transl Stroke Res 4(1): 71-75.
- X. Zhao, R. Strong, J. Zhang, G-H. Sun, J.Z. Tsien, Z.Z. Cui, J.C. Grotta, J. Aronowski. Neuronal PPARg Deficiency Increases Susceptibility to Neuronal Damage after Cerebral Ischemia. J Neurosci. 2009 13;29(19):6186-95.
- 8. X Zhao, S Song, G Sun, R Strong, J Zhang, CS. Wilder, JC. Grotta, and J Aronowski. Neuroprotective role of haptoglobin after intracerebral hemorrhage. J Neurosci. 29(50):15819-15827, 2009.
- X. Zhao, Y. Zhang, R. Strong, J. Zhang, J. C. Grotta, J. Aronowski. Distinct patterns of intracerebral hemorrhage-induced alterations in NF-kappaB subunit, iNOS, and COX-2 expression. J Neurochem. May 2007;101(3):652-663.
- X. Zhao, G. Sun, J. Zhang, R. Strong, W. Song, N. Gonzales, J.C. Grotta, J. Aronowski. Hematoma resolution as a target for intracerebral hemorrhage treatment: Role for peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma in microglia/macrophages. Annals of Neurology. Apr 2007;61(4):352-362.