Associate Professor, The Vivian L. Smith Department of Neurosurgery
Education & Training
- Graduate School
- State University of New York, Stony Brook, New York
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
- CHU de Grenoble, Grenoble, France
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
Dr. Albert Fenoy is an Associate Professor of Neurosurgery at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) Medical School. Dr. Fenoy received his medical degree at the State University of New York at Stony Brook. He completed his residency in neurosurgery at the University of Iowa and completed a fellowship in functional neurosurgery at the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Grenoble, France.
Prior to joining the Mischer Neuroscience Institute and McGovern Medical School, he was a neurosurgery fellow associate in the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. He is a member of Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, the Congress of Neurological Surgeons and the American Academy of Neurological Surgeons.
Dr. Fenoy has presented research at several national conferences that has subsequently been published in several journals such as Journal of Neurosurgery, Brain Research, Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine,and Neuromodulation. His current research focuses on the electrophysiology and clinical manifestations of basal ganglia disease, as well as investigating clinical outcomes and biochemical mediators of deep brain stimulation for both movement disorders and psychiatric disease.
- Deep Brain Stimulation: Movement Disorders and Psychiatric diseases
- Spinal Cord Stimulation
- Chronic Pain Management
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Complex Spine Surgery
Diplomat, American Board of Neurological Surgery
Please visit the Fenoy Laboratory page.
1. Cobbs CS, Fenoy A, Bredt DS, Noble LJ. Expression of nitric oxide synthase in the cerebral microvasculature after traumatic brain injury in the rat. Brain Research. 751(2): 336-8, 1997.
2. Menezes A, Gantz B, Fenoy A, Donovan K, Kralik S. Surgery at the Crossroads: Craniocervical Neoplasms. Clinical Neurosurgery. 52: 218-28, 2004.
3. Fenoy AJ, Greenlee JDW, Menezes AH, Donovan KA, Sato Y, Hitchon PC, Chaloupka JC. Primary Bony Tumors of the Spine in Children. J Neurosurg (4 Suppl Ped). 105: 252-260, 2006.
4. Fenoy AJ, Severson MA, Volkov IO, Brugge JF, Howard MA. Hearing suppression induced by electrical stimulation of human auditory cortex. Brain Research. 1118 (1): 75-83, 2006.
5. Greenlee JDW, Fenoy AJ, Donovan KA, Menezes AH. Eosinophilic Granuloma in the Pediatric Spine. Pediatric Neurosurgery. 43 (4): 285-292, 2007.
6. Fenoy AJ, Menezes AH, Donovan K, Kralik SF. Calcium Pyrophosphate Dihydrate Crystal Deposition in the Craniovertebral Junction. J Neurosurg Spine. 8 (1): 22-9, 2008.
7. Brugge JF, Volkov IO, Oya H, Kawasaki H, Reale RA, Fenoy A, Steinschneider M, Howard MA 3rd. Functional localization of auditory cortical fields of human: Click-train stimulation. Hearing Research, 238 (1-2): 12-24, 2008.
8. Fenoy AJ, Menezes AM, Fenoy KA. Craniocervical Junction Fusions in Patients with Hindbrain Herniation and Syringohydromyelia. J Neurosurg Spine. 9 (1): 1-9, 2008.
9. Piallat B, Polosan M, Fraix V, Goetz L, David O, Fenoy A, et al. Subthalamic Neuronal Firing in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Parkinson Disease. Ann Neurol. 69: 793-802, 2011.
10. Fenoy AJ, Simpson RK Jr. Management of device-related wound complications in deep brain stimulation surgery. J Neurosurg, 116(6):1324-32, 2012.
11. Copeland BJ, Fenoy A, Ellmore TM, Liang Q, Ephron V, Schiess M. Deep Brain Stimulation of the Internal Globus Pallidus for Generalized Dystonia Associated with Spinocerebellar Ataxia Type 1: A Case Report. Neuromodulation. 2013 Jul 1. doi: 10.1111/ner.12081.
12. Fenoy AJ, Simpson RK Jr. Risks of common complications in deep brain stimulation surgery: management and avoidance. J Neurosurg, 120(1):132-9, 2014.
13. Fenoy AJ, Goetz L, Chabardès S, Xia Y. Deep Brain Stimulation: Are Astrocytes a Key Driver Behind the Scene? CNS Neurosci Ther 20(3):191-201, 2014
14. Gálvez JF, Keser Z, Mwangi B, Ghouse AA, Fenoy AJ, Schulz PE, Sanches M, Quevedo J, Selvaraj S, Gajwani P, Zunta-Soares G, Hasan KM, Soares JC. The medial forebrain bundle as a deep brain stimulation target for treatment resistant depression: A review of published data. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 58C:59-70, 2014.
15. Xu Y, Wei X, Liu X, Liao J, Lin J, Zhu C, Meng X, Xie D, Chao D, Fenoy AJ, Cheng M, Tang B, Zhang Z, Xia Y, Wang Q. Low Cerebral Glucose Metabolism: A Potential Predictor for the Severity of Vascular Parkinsonism and Parkinson’s Disease. Aging Dis. 6(6):426-36, 2015
16. Aisenberg GM, Lincoln JA, Lincoln CM, Fenoy AJ, Benjamin-Garner RA. Brain Lesions: To Biopsy or Not to Biopsy: A Single Institution Retrospective Cohort. J Neurosci Clin Res 1:1-8, 2016
17. Asakawa T, Fang H, Sugiyama K, Nozaki T, Hong Z, Yang Y, Hua F, Ding G, Chao D, Fenoy AJ, Villarreal SJ, Onoe H, Suzuki K, Mori N, Namba H, Xia Y. Animal behavioral assessments in current research of Parkinson’s disease. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 65:63-94, 2016
18. Fenoy AJ, Schulz P, Selvaraj S, Burrows C, Spiker D, Cao B, Zunta-Soares G, Gajwani P, Quevedo J, Soares J. Deep brain stimulation of the medial forebrain bundle: Distinctive responses in resistant depression. J Affect Disord. 203:143- 151, 2016
19. Fenoy AJ, McHenry MA, Schiess MC. Speech changes induced by deep brain stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson disease: involvement of the dentatorubrothalamic tract. J Neurosurg. Accepted May 27, 2016.
DOI : 10.3171/2016.5.JNS16243.
20. Fenoy AJ, McHenry MA, Schiess MC. Speech changes induced by deep brain stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson disease: involvement of the dentatorubrothalamic tract. J Neurosurg. 2016 Sep 9:1-11. PMID: 27611200
21. Fenoy AJ, Schiess MC. Deep Brain Stimulation of the Dentato-Rubro-Thalamic tract: Outcomes of Direct Targeting for Tremor. Neuromodulation. 2017. DOI: 10.1111/ner.12585. PMID: 28256785
22. Fenoy AJ, Villarreal S, Schiess MC. Acute and sub-acute presentations of cerebral edema following Deep Brain Stimulation lead implantation. Stereo Funct Neurosurg. 2017. DOI: 10.1159/000454892. PMID: 28208150
23. Dandekar MP, Luse D, Hoffmann C, Cotton P, Peery T, Ruiz C, Hussey C, Giridharan VV, Soares JC, Quevedo J, Fenoy AJ. Increased dopamine receptor expression and anti-depressant response following deep brain stimulation of the medial forebrain bundle. J Affect Disord. 2017 Apr 5;217:80-88. DOI: 10.1016/j.jad.2017.03.074. PMID: 28395208
1. Fenoy AJ, Menezes AH: Pediatric Craniocervical Trauma. In Kim DH, Ludwig SC, Vaccaro A (eds): Spine Trauma: Adult & Pediatric. Elsevier, Philadelphia. 2006.
2. Fenoy AJ, Howard III MA: Hearing. In Yoshor D, Mizrahi E (eds): Clinical Brain Mapping. McGraw-Hill, New York. 2012.
3. Villarreal SJ, Fenoy AJ: Deep Brain Stimulation from the Neurosurgical Standpoint. In Mehanna R (ed): Deep Brain Stimulation. Nova, New York. 2015.
4. Fenoy AJ, Xia Y: Are delta-opioid receptors involved in Deep Brain Stimulation? In Xia Y (ed): Neural Functions of the Delta-Opiod Receptor. Springer, Switzerland (in press).