Angel I. Blanco, MD
- Director, Radiation Oncology and Stereotactic Radiosurgery
- Clinical Associate Professor, Vivian L. Smith Department of Neurosurgery, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth
Dr. Blanco is a Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Neurosurgery at UT McGovern Medical School, where he has been a faculty member since 2015.
Dr. Blanco completed his M.D. at Baylor College of Medicine and his residency at Washington University in St. Louis. He has held faculty appointments at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and subsequently at Houston Methodist Hospital / Weill Cornell School of Medicine. Since 2012, he has worked full-time at Memorial Hermann TMC, where he established close clinical collaboration with multiple faculty members at UT-Mischer.
At present, his clinical interests include treatment of central nervous systems, head and neck, thoracic, gynecologic, genitourinary, gastrointestinal, and breast malignancies. He currently serves as Medical Director for the outpatient Radiation Oncology and Gamma Knife departments at Memorial Hermann-TMC. He is board certified in Radiation Oncology (2005, 2013), in addition to the American Board of Medical Quality (2016).
Current research interests include optimization of stereotactic radiosurgery approaches for brain tumors and extracranial malignancies.
Dr. Blanco, a native Puerto Rican, is fluent in Spanish and conversational in French. He enjoys Houston and water sports.
If you are interested in learning more about Dr. Blanco’s clinical practice, please click below.
- Graduate School
- Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Transitional Year Program, Forest Park Hospital, St. Louis, MO
- Radiation Oncology, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO
A. Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Rios A, Hsu SH, Blanco A, Buryanek J, Day AL, McGuire MF, Brown RE. Durable response of glioblastoma to adjuvant therapy consisting of temozolomide and a weekly dose of AMD3100 (plerixafor), a CXCR4 inhibitor, together with lapatinib, metformin and niacinamide. Oncoscience 3:5-6:2016.
- Blanco AI, Meyer LA, George V, Teh BS, Rios A, Ferachi K, Rodriguez M, Gonzalez A, Dalrymple J. The use of modern imaging technologies in radiation therapy of cervical cancer. J Radiat Oncol 4:1:1-10, 2015.
- Ishiyama H, Blanco AI, Lo SS, Butler EB, Teh BS. Stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT)/stereotactic ablative body radiotherapy (SABR) for “radioresistant” renal cell carcinoma (RCC). J Radiat Oncol 3:339-346, 2014.
- Kessel IL and Blanco A. Update in radiation therapy for oral and maxillofacial tumors and dose mapping. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 26(2):223-229, 2014.
- Ishiyama H, Teh BS, Blanco AI, Paulino AC, Mai WY, Caillouet J, Xu B, Butler EB. Salvage intensity modulated radiotherapy using endorectal balloon after radical prostatectomy: clinical outcomes. Int J Urol. 20:1178-1183, 2013.
- Blanco AI, Teh BS, Dawson LA, Pino R, Paulino AC, Butler EB. External radiation treatment of malignant liver disease: a critical review. J Radiat Oncol 2:249-262, 2013.
- Ansari M, Guo S, Fakhri S, Citardi MJ, Blanco A, Patino M, Buryanek J, Amato R, Karni R, Brown RE. Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma (SNUC): morphoproteomic-guided treatment paradigm with clinical efficacy. Ann Clin Lab Sci Winter 43:45-53, 2013.
- Eldaya RW, Paulino AC, Blanco AI, Chiang S, South M, Lehane D, Teh BS. Preservation of Adrenal Function after Successful Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) of Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Involving the Remaining Contralateral Adrenal Gland. Practical Radiation Oncology 2:270-273, 2012.
- Eldaya RW, Lo SS, Paulino AC, Blanco AI, Butler EB, Teh BS. Diagnosis and treatment options including stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) for adrenal metastases. J Rad Oncol 1(1):43-48, 2012
- Ren H, Blanco AI, Blackmon S, Paulino AC, Chiang S, Butler EB, Teh BS. Clinical outcomes of patients with malignant lung lesions treated with stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) in five fractions. J Rad Oncol 1(1):57-63, 2012
- Jhaveri PM, Teh BS, Paulino AC, Blanco AI, Lo SS, Butler EB, Amato RJ. A dose-response relationship for time to bone pain resolution after stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) for renal cell carcinoma (RCC) bony metastases. Acta Oncol 51(5):584-588, 2012
- Ishiyama H, Teh BS, Ren H, Chiang S, Tann A, Blanco AI, Paulino AC, Amato R. Spontaneous regression of thoracic metastases while progression of brain metastases after stereotactic radiosurgery and stereotactic body radiotherapy for metastatic renal cell carcinoma: Abscopal effect prevented by the blood-brain barrier? Clin Genirourin Cancer 2012 Mar 10.
- Ishiyama H, Teh BS, Lo SS, Mathews T, Blanco AI, Amato R, Ellis RJ, Mayr NA, Paulino AC, Xu B, Butler B. Stereotactic body radiation therapy for prostate cancer. Future Oncol 2011; 7(9):1077-1086
- Blanco AI, Teh BS, Amato RJ. Role of radiation therapy in the management of renal cell cancer. Cancers (Basel) 2011; 3:4010-4023
- Teh BS, Ishiyama H, Mathews T, Xu B, Butler EB, Mayr NA, Lo SS, Lu JJ, Blanco AI, Paulino AC, Timmerman RD. Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) for genitourinary malignancies. Discov Med 2010 Sept; 10(52):255-62.
- O’Daniel JC, Rosenthal DI, Garden AS, Barker JL, Ahamad A, Ang KK, Asper JA, Blanco AI, de Crevoisier R, Holsinger FC, Patel CB, Schwartz DL, Wang H, Dong L. The effect of dental artifacts, contrast media, and experience on interobserver contouring variations in head and neck anatomy. Am J Clin Oncol. 2007 Apr;30(2):191-8.
- Lee N, Puri DR, Blanco AI, Chao KS. Intensity-modulated radiation therapy in head and neck cancers: An update. Head Neck. 2007 Apr;29(4):387-400.
- El Naqa I, Bradley J, Blanco AI, Lindsay PE, Vicic M, Hope A, Deasy JO. Multivariable modeling of radiotherapy outcomes, including dose-volume and clinical factors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006 Mar 15;64(4):1275-86.
- Blanco AI, Chao C. Management of radiation-induced head and neck injury. Cancer Treat Res. 2006;128:23-41.
- Rosenthal DI, Blanco AI. Head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: optimizing the therapeutic index. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2005 Jun;5(3):501-14.
- Blanco AI, Chao KS, El Naqa I, Franklin GE, Zakarian K, Vicic M, Deasy JO. Dose-volume modeling of salivary function in patients with head-and-neck cancer receiving radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2005 Jul 15;62(4):1055-69.
- Chambers MS, Garden AS, Rosenthal D, Ahamad A, Schwartz DL, Blanco AI, Chao KS, Morrison WH, Ang KK, Weber RS. Intensity-modulated Radiotherapy: Is Xerostomia Still Prevalent? Curr Oncol Rep. 2005 Mar;7(2):131-6.
- Blanco AI, Chao KS, Ozyigit G, Adli M, Thorstad WL, Simpson JR, Spector GJ, Haughey B, Perez CA. Carcinoma of paranasal sinuses: long-term outcomes with radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2004 May 1;59(1):51-8.
- Chao KS, Ozyigit G, Blanco AI, Thorstad WL, Deasy JO, Haughey BH, Spector GJ, Sessions DG. Intensity-modulated radiation therapy for oropharyngeal carcinoma: impact of tumor volume. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2004 May 1;59(1):43-50.
- Chao KS, Blanco AI, Dempsey JF. A conceptual model integrating spatial information to assess target volume coverage for IMRT treatment planning. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2003 Aug 1;56(5):1438-49.
- Deasy JO, Blanco AI, Clark VH. CERR: a computational environment for radiotherapy research. Med Phys 2003 May;30(5):979-85.
- Blanco AI, Michalski JM. Dose escalation in locally advanced carcinoma of the prostate. Semin Radiat Oncol. 2003 Apr;13(2):87-97. Review.
- Ha CS, Tucker SL, Blanco AI, Wilder RB, McLaughlin P, Cabanillas F, Cox JD. Hematologic recovery after central lymphatic irradiation for patients with stage I-III follicular lymphoma. Cancer. 2001 Sep 1;92(5):1074-9.
- Ha CS, Tucker SL, Blanco AI, Cabanillas F, Cox JD. Salvage central lymphatic irradiation in follicular lymphomas following failure of chemotherapy: a feasibility study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1999 Dec 1;45(5):1207-12.
- Teh BS, Ishiyama H, Xu B, Ayala G, Wheeler T, Kadmon D, Paulino AC, Blanco AI, Thompson T, Butler E. Long-term outcome of a phase II trial combining in situ gene therapy and intensity-modulated radiotherapy with or without hormonal therapy for prostate cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2011; 81(S2):S400
- Paulino AC, Margolin J, Dreyer Z, Teh BS, Butler E, Kandar K, Blanco AI, Chiang S. PET-CT findings before, during, and after chemotherapy: Implications on radiotherapy (RT) planning for pediatric Hodgkin lymphoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2011; 81(S2):S115.
- Blanco AI, Jones J, Hua R, Pino R, Nitsch P, Paulino AC, Butler EB, Bass BL, Teh BS. Is multi-lumen balloon (MLB) superior to single-lumen balloon (SLB) brachytherapy catheter for accelerated partial breast irradiation (APBI)? Intl J Rad Oncol Biol Phys 2010; 78(3):S253
- Spiegel AJ, Eldor L, Blanco AI, Teh BS. Effect of Adjuvant Radiation on Partial Breast Reconstruction in Patients Undergoing Mini-Abdominal Free Flaps. Intl J Rad Oncol Biol Phys 2010; 78(3):S246
- Mai W, Blanco AI, Smiedala M, Paulino AC, Ishiyama H, Xu B, Butler EB, Teh BS. Long-term outcome of a moderate-hypofractionated intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) approach utilizing immobilization rectal balloon for localized prostate cancer. Intl J Rad Oncol Biol Phys 2010; 78(3):S59.
- Butler EB, Hayman A, Paulino AC, Blanco AI, Teh BS. Integrating Serial Pathways in Radiotherapy Treatment Planning – Impact on the Decision Making in Delivering Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) versus Fractionated Stereotactic Radiotherapy (FSRT). Intl J Rad Oncol Biol Phys 2010; 78(3):S796
- Zakarian C, Deasy JO, Blanco AI, et al. Dosimetric validation of CERR Version 2. AAPM 2003.
- Blanco AI, Chao CK, Deasy JO, Low DA. Recovery kinetics of salivary function in patients with head and neck cancers receiving radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2002; 54:S166
- Blanco AI, Dempsey JF, Chao KS. A scoring function for target coverage in intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) planning based on the probability of microscopic tumor extension and lymph node metastasis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2001; 51:S73
- Ha CS, Tucker SL, Blanco AI, Wilder RB, Cabanillas F, Cox JD. Hematological recovery after central lymphatic irradiation (CLI) for stage I-III follicular lymphoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2000; 48:S330-331
C. Book Chapters
- Blanco AI and Chao KS. Management of radiation-induced head and neck injury. In Small W and Woloschak GE eds., Radiation Toxicity – A Practical Guide, Springer 2006.
- Blanco AI. Paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity. In Chao KS, Apisarnthanarax S, and Ozyigit G eds., Practical Essentials of Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy 2nd edition, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins 2004.
- Blanco AI and Chao KS. Intensity modulated radiation therapy and protection of normal tissue function in Head and Neck cancer. Principles and Practice of Radiation Oncology Updates, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins 2002.
a. American Board of Radiology, Radiation Oncology (certified 2005, recertified 2013)
b. American Board of Medical Quality (certified 2016)