Bangxing Hong, PhD
- Assistant Professor, Vivian L. Smith Department of Neurosurgery, McGovern Medical School at UTHealth
Dr. Hong earned his Ph.D. in Microbiology and Immunology at Sun Yat-sen University and completed his postdoctoral training in both University of Southern California and the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. He developed dendritic cell vaccine and T cell therapy for both solid tumor and hematologic malignancy.
Dr. Hong joined the Department of Neurosurgery at McGovern Medical School at UTHealth. Dr. Hong’s research interest is to develop novel oncolytic HSV for glioblastoma therapy and in combination with immunotherapy such as dendritic cell and T cell therapy.
Dr. Hong has published more than 30 research articles in scientific journals including Journal of Clinical Investigation, Cancer Research, Clinical Cancer Research, Nature Communications, and book chapters pertaining to oncolytic virus and tumor immunotherapy.
- Medical Degree, Clinical Medicine
- Anhui Medical University, China
- Masters of Science, Microbiology and Immunology
- Sun Yat-sen University, China
- Doctorate, Microbiology and Immunology
- Sun Yat-sen University, China
1. Current Applications for Overcoming Resistance to Targeted Therapies. Springer, Cham. ISBN: 978-3-030-21476-0.
SELECTED PUBLISHED JOURNAL ARTICLES
1. Hong B, Jiang LF, Hu YS，et al. Application of oligonucleotide array technology for the rapid detection of pathogenic bacteria of foodborne infections. Journal of Microbiological Methods, 2004, 58(3):403-411.
2. Hong B, Ren W, Song XT, Kabler KE, Chen SY, Huang XF. Human SOCS1 Controls Immunostimulatory Activity of Monocyte-derived Dendritic Cells. Cancer Research, 2009, 69 (20): 8076-8084.
3. Lee SH, Hong B, Sharabi A, Huang XF, Chen SY. Embryonic Stem Cells and Mammary Luminal Progenitors Directly Sense and Respond to Microbial Products. Stem Cells, 2009 27(7):1604-1615.
4. Song XT, Turnis ME, Zhou X, Zhu W, Hong B, Rollins L, Rabinovich B, Chen SY, Rooney CM, Gottschalk S. A Th1-inducing Adenoviral Vaccine for Boosting Adoptively Transferred T Cells. Molecular Therapy, 2011, 19(1):211-217.
5. Hong B, Song XT, Rollins L, Berry L, Huang XF, Chen SY. Mucosal and Systemic Anti-HIV Immunity Controlled by A20 in Dendritic Cells. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2011, 121(2): 739-751.
6. Hong B, Lee SH, Song XT, Jones L, Machida K, Huang XF, Chen SY. A super TLR agonist to improve efficacy of dendritic cell vaccine in induction of anti-HCV immunity. PLoS One. 2012, 7(11):e48614.
7. Hong B, Peng G, Berry L, Gottschalk S, Jung JU, Chen SY and Huang XF. Generating CTLs against the subdominant EBV LMP antigens by transient expression of an A20 inhibitor with EBV LMP proteins in human DCs. Gene Therapy, 2012, 19(8):818-827.
8. Wang L, Hong B, Jiang X, Jones L, Chen SY, Huang XF. A20 controls macrophage to elicit potent cytotoxic CD4(+) T cell response. PLoS One. 2012; 7(11):e48930.
9. Lu Y, Hong S, Li H, Park J, Hong B, Wang L, Zheng Y, Liu Z, Xu J, He J, Yang J, Qian J, Yi Q. Th9 cells promote antitumor immune responses in vivo. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2012, 122(11):4160-4171.
10. He J, Liu Z, Zheng Y, Qian J, Li H, Lu Y, Xu J, Hong B, Zhang M, Lin P, Cai Z, Orlowski RZ, Kwak LW, Yi Q, Yang J. p38 MAPK in Myeloma Cells Regulates Osteoclast and Osteoblast Activity and Induces Bone Destruction. Cancer Research, 2012, 72(24):6393-6402.
11. Liu Z, Xu J, Li H, Zheng Y, He J, Liu H, Zhong Y, Lu Y, Hong B, Zhang M, Lin P, Du J, Hou J, Qian J, Kwak LW, Yi Q, Yang J. Bone marrow stromal cells derived MCP-1 reverses the inhibitory effects of multiple myeloma cells on osteoclastogenesis by upregulating the RANK expression. PLoS One,2013;8(12):e82453
12. Lu Y, Hong B, Li H, Zheng, Y, Zhang M, Wang S, Qian J, Yi Q. Tumor-specific CD8+ Tc9 cells are superior effector than Tc1 cells for adoptive immunotherapy of cancers. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2014, 111: 2265-2270.
13. Zhang M, Qian J, Lan Y, Lu Y, Li H, Hong B, Zheng Y, He J, Yang J, Yi Q. Anti-β2M monoclonal antibodies kill myeloma cells via cell-and complement-mediated cytotoxicity. Int J Cancer, 2014, 135(5):1132-1141.
14. Park J, Li H, Zhang M, Lu Y, Hong B, Zheng Y, He J, Yang J, Yi Q. Murine Th9 cells promote the survival of myeloid dendritic cells in cancer immunotherapy. Cancer
Immunol Immunother, 2014, 63(8): 835-845.
15. Lu Y, Zhang M, Wang S, Hong B, Wang Z, Li H, Zheng Y, Yang J, Davis R, Qian J, Hou J, Yi Q.p38 MAPK-inhibited dendritic cells induce superior anti-tumor immune responses and overcome regulatory T cell-mediated immunosuppression. Nature Communications, 2014, 5: 4229.
16. Hong B, Li H, Lu Y, Zhang M, Zheng Y, Qian J, Yi Q. USP18 is crucial for IFN-γ-mediated inhibition of B16 melanoma tumorigenesis and antitumor immunity. Molecular Cancer, 2014, 13: 132.
17. Hong B, Li H, Zhang M, Xu J, Lu Y, Zheng Y, Yang J, Qian J, Yi Q.p38 MAPK inhibits breast cancer metastasis through regulating stromal expansion. Int J Cancer, 2015, 136(1):34-43.
18. Dang RJ, Yang YM, Zhang L, Cui DC, Hong B, Li P, Lin Q, Wang Y, Wang QY, Xiao F, Mao N, Wang C, Jiang XX, Wen N. A20 plays a critical role in the immunoregulatory function of mesenchymal stem cells. J Cell Mol Med, 2016, 20(8): 1550-1560.
19. Huang XF, Nandakumar V, Tumurkhuu G, Wang T, Jiang XX, Hong B, Jones L, Yoshii H, Ozato K, Masumi A, Chen SY. Mysm1 is required for interferon regulatory factor expression in maintaining HSC quiescence and thymocyte development. Cell Death and Disease, 2016, 7(6):e2260.
20. Wang D, Huang XF, Hong B, Song XT, Hu L, Jiang M, et al. Efficacy of intracellular immune checkpoint-silenced DC vaccine. JCI insight, 2018, 3(3): e98368.
21. Hong B, Muilli K, Bolyard C, Russell L, Lee TJ, Siddegowda BS, Yoo JY, Yan Y, Ballester L, Bockhorst K, Kaur B. Suppression of HMGB1 released in the glioblastoma tumor microenvironment reduces tumoral edema. Molecular Therapy Oncolytics, 2018, 12:93-102. 22. Russell L, Swanner J, Jaime-Ramirez AC, Wang Y, Sprague A, Banasavadi-Siddegowda Y, Yoo JY, Sizemore GM, Kladney R, Zhang J, Lehman NL, Ostrowski MC, Hong B, Caligiuri M, Yu J,
Kaur B. PTEN expression by an oncolytic herpesvirus directs T-cell mediated tumor clearance. Nature Communications, 2018, 9(1):5006.
23. Yoo JY, Swanner J, Otani Y, Nair M, Park F, Banasavadi-Siddegowda Y, Liu J, Jaime-Raimirez AC, Hong B, Geng F, Guo D, Bystry D, Pelphs M, Quadri H, Lee TJ, Kaur B. oHSV therapy increases trametinib access to brain tumors and sensitizes them in vivo. Neuro Oncol, 2019, 21(9):1131-1140.
24. Cao F, Nguyen P, Hong B, DeRenzo C, Rainusso N, Cruz T, Wu M, Liu H, Song X, Suzuki M, Wang L, Yustein J, Gottschalk S. Engineering Oncolytic Vaccinia Virus to redirect Macrophages to Tumor Cells. Advances in Cell and Gene Therapy, 2020, doi: 10.1002.
25. Hong B, Chapa V, Saini U, Modgil P, Cohn D, He G, Siddik Z, Sood A, Yan Y, Karuppaiyah S, Pei G, Zhao Z, Yoo JY, Kaur B . Oncolytic HSV Therapy Modulates Vesicular Trafficking Inducing Cisplatin Sensitivity and Anti-tumor Immunity. Clinical Cancer Research, 2021, 27(2):542-553.