Laura Smith Callahan, PhD
- Assistant Professor, The Vivian L. Smith Department of Neurosurgery
- Graduate School
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan (Master of Science, Biomedical Engineering)
- Post Graduate School
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan (Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering)
Refereed Original Articles in Journals
- Liu X, Smith L, Wei G, Won Y, Ma PX. Surface Engineering of Nano-Fibrous Poly(L-lactic Acid) Scaffolds via Self-Assembly Technique for Bone Tissue Engineering. Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology 1 (1): 54-60, 2005.
- Chen VJ, Smith LA, Ma PX. Bone regeneration on computer-designed nano-fibrous scaffolds. Biomaterials 27 (21): 3973-3979, 2006.
- Liu X, Smith LA, Hu J, Ma PX. Biomimetic Nanofibrous Gelatin/Apatite Composite Scaffolds for Bone Tissue Engineering. Biomaterials 30 (12): 2252-2258, 2009.
- Smith LA, Liu X, Hu J, Ma PX. The Influence of Three-Dimensional Nanofibrous Scaffolds on the Osteogenic Differentiation of Embryonic Stem Cells. Biomaterials 30 (13): 2516-2522, 2009.
- Smith LA, Liu X, Hu J, Wang P, Ma PX. Enhancing the Osteogenic Differentiation of Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells by Nanofibers. Tissue Engineering Part A 15 (7): 1855-1864, 2009.
- Smith LA, Liu X, Hu J, Ma PX. The Enhancement of Human Embryonic Stem Cell Osteogenic Differentiation with Nano-fibrous Scaffolding. Biomaterials 31(21): 5526-5539, 2010.
- Hu J, Smith LA, Feng K, Liu X, Sun H, Ma PX. (2010) Response of Human Embryonic Stem Cells Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells to Osteogenic Factors and Architectures of Materials during in vitro Osteogenesis. Tissue Engineering Part A. 16(11):3507-3514, 2010.
- Smith Callahan LA, Ganios AM, McBurney DL, Dilisio MF, Weiner, SD, Horton Jr WE, Becker ML. ECM Production of Primary Human and Bovine Chondrocyte in Hybrid PEG Hydrogels Containing Type I Collagen and Hyaluronic Acid. Biomacromolecules. 13(5): 1625-1631, 2012.
- Zheng J, Smith Callahan LA, Hao J, Guo K, Wesdemiotis C, Weiss RA, Becker ML. (2012) Strain-Promoted Cross-Linking of PEG-Based Hydrogels via Copper-Free Cycloaddition. ACS Macro Letters. 1:1071-1073, 2012.
- Stakleff KS, Lin F, Smith Callahan LA, Wade MB, Esterle A, Miller J, Graham M, Becker ML. Resorbable, Amino acid-based Poly(ester urea)s Crosslinked with Osteogenic Growth Peptide (OGP) with Enhanced Mechanical Properties and Bioactivity. Acta Biomaterialia. 9 (2): 5132–5142, 2013.
- Smith Callahan LA, Ganios AM, Childers EP, Weiner, SD, Becker ML. Primary Human Chondrocyte Extracellular Matrix Formation and Phenotype Maintenance using RGD derivatized PEGDM Hydrogels Possessing a Continuous Gradient in Modulus. Acta Biomaterialia. 9 (4): 6095–6104, 2013.
- Smith Callahan LA §, Ma Y §, Stafford CM, Becker ML. Concentration Dependent Neural Differentiation and Neurite Extension of mouse ESC on Primary Amine-derivatized Surfaces. Biomaterials Science. 1(5):537-544, 2013. § both authors contributed equally to the work.
- Smith Callahan LA, Childers EP, Benard, SL, Weiner, SD, Becker ML. Maximizing Phenotype Constraint and ECM Production in Primary Human Chondrocytes Using RGD Concentration Gradient Hydrogels. Acta Biomaterialia. 9 (7): 7420-7428, 2013.
- Smith Callahan LA, Policastro GM, Benard SL, Childers EP, Boettcher RM, Becker ML. Influence of Discrete and Continuous Culture Conditions on Human Mesenchymal Stem Cell Lineage Choice in RGD Concentration Gradient Hydrogels. Biomacromolecules. 14(9): 3047-3054, 2013.
- Smith Callahan LA, Xie S, Barker IA, Zheng J, Dove AP, Becker ML. Directed Differentiation and Neurite Extension of mouse Embryonic Stem Cell on Aligned Poly(lactide) Nanofibers Functionalized with YIGSR Peptide. Biomaterials. 34(36): 9089-9095, 2013.
- Policastro GM, Lin F, Smith Callahan LA, Esterle A, Graham M, Sloan Stakleff K, Becker ML. OGP Functionalized Phenylalanine-based Poly(ester urea) for Enhancing Osteoinductive Potential of human Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Biomacromolecules. 16 (4): 1358–1371, 2015.
- Yang Y-H, Kahn Z, Ma C, Lim HJ, Smith Callahan LA. Optimization of adhesive conditions for neural differentiation of murine embryonic stem cells using hydrogels functionalized with continuous Ile-Lys-Val-Ala-Val concentration gradients. Acta Biomaterialia. 21: 55-62, 2015.
- Lim HJ, Perera TH, Wilems T, Ghosh S, Zheng YY, Azhdarinia A, Cao Q, Smith Callahan LA. Response to Di-functionalized Hyaluronic Acid with Orthogonal Chemistry Grafting at Independent Modification Sites in rodent models of neural differentiation and spinal cord injury. Journal of Materials Chemistry B. In press
Invited Articles in Journals
- Smith LA, Ma PX. Nano-fibrous scaffolds for tissue engineering. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 39 (3): 125-131, 2004.
- Smith LA, Liu X, Ma PX. Tissue Engineering with Nano-fibrous Scaffolds. Soft Matter 4 (11): 2144-2149, 2008. (Selected for publication in Chemical Biology 2008 Issue 12.)
- Smith IO, Liu XH, Smith LA, Ma PX. Nanostructured polymer scaffolds for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews-Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology 1 (2): 226-236, 2009.
- Smith Callahan LA. The Concentration Game: Differential Effects of Bioactive Signaling in 2D and 3D Culture. Neural Regeneration Research. 11 (1): 66-68, 2016.
- Smith Callahan LA. Guiding Stem Cell Differentiation through Matrix Optimization. Cell, Stem cells and Regenerative Medicine. 2(1) 2016.
- Smith Callahan LA. Combinatorial Method/High throughput strategies for hydrogel optimization in tissue engineering applications. Gels. 2: 18, 2016.
- Smith LA, Beck JA, Ma PX. Fabrication and Tissue Formation with Nano-Fibrous Scaffolds. Kumar. Weinheim (Ed). Nanotechnologies for Tissue, Cell and Organ Engineering. pp. 188-215. Germany. Wiley-VCH.
- Smith LA, Ma PX. Effect of nanofibrous scaffolding on stem cell differentiation and tissue formation. S. Prakash & D. Shum-Tim (Eds.) Stem Cell Bioengineering and Tissue Microenvironment. pp. 205-217. Hackensack, New Jersey. World Scientific Publishing Company.
- Smith LA, Ma PX. Computer-designed nano-fibrous scaffolds. M Liebschner & D. Kim (Eds.) Computer Aided Tissue Engineering. pp. 125-134. New York, New York. Springer.
American Chemical Society, 2016-present
Society for Biomaterials, 2010–present
International Society for Stem Cell Research, 2008–present
Tissue Engineering International and Regenemtive Medicine Society, 2007
Biomedical Engineering Society 1998–2003
Tau Beta Pi