Please pay close attention to the Application Process below. If you apply only through VSAS or the Medical School your application processing will be delayed.
Welcome! Thank you for your interest in our program.
NSUR 4001 is our visiting student elective and is open monthly from July-June and runs from the 1st Monday of the month, end on the Friday 4 weeks later (i.e. Monday, Sept 5, 2016 – Friday, Sept. 30, 2016).
**If you are a serious applicant for our Neurosurgery Residency Program, we HIGHLY recommend that you rotate with us during July-October.
Part 1: Email Gina Collier, Education Program Coordinator, beginning NOW with the following information:
- Your Name
- Medical school
- Expected date of graduation
- Three choices of dates for your rotation, listed in the order you prefer
- Contact telephone number
- Any questions you may have
- **Attach a copy of your CV and USMLE score
Part 2: Apply through VSAS as soon as this opens through UTHSC School of Medicine Student Affairs – May 1st. More information regarding the elective application process at our institution can be found at the VSAS website.
To be eligible for the elective you must have completed the 4 core rotations (Medicine, Surgery, OB/GYN, Pediatrics) & have taken the USMLE Step I.
NSUR 4001 rotation details:
– Month long blocks (i.e. 1st to last weekday of each calendar month) from July – January
– 16 eight-hour shifts (days, evenings, nights, weekends)
– weekly Friday Medical Student sessions, including a suture skills labs (1/month)
– Required weekly Thursday residency conferences
– Presentation at our departmental Grand Rounds during the last week of the elective
Our sites –
Memorial Hermann Hospital TMC – This is the referral hub of the Memorial Hermann System (largest healthcare provider in the state of Texas) and one of the busiest Level I trauma centers in the country and the busiest Level I in Houston, TX.