If you are a McGovern Medical School at UTHealth first-year medical student, you can gain hands-on laboratory experience under the supervision of a faculty sponsor during the summer between your first and second year of medical school. As part of our program, you will receive special training in laboratory and radiation safety, laboratory animal methodology, research technology, and biomedical ethics. Also, as part of the program you will attend weekly seminars by guest speakers focusing on cutting-edge research and career development. As a summer research program student you will be guided by your faculty mentor on a research project over a 10-week period. Students are expected to work 40 hours per week on their research in their selected faculty mentor’s laboratory. At the conclusion of the program you will submit an abstract of your research. Your mentor will also help you develop a poster that must be presented at the annual Research Forum held in the fall.
McGovern Medical School Student On-line Application period is February 1 – March 15, 2019. Supporting documents must be received by this date.
Application – Instructions
Judges Evaluation Form
There are potentially two sources of funding for the Summer Research Program. Limited financial support is provided by the Dean’s Office of Educational Programs matching funds. All students should apply to the Program to receive support. Students who do not receive funding are encouraged to negotiate a stipend with their faculty mentor. Students are also permitted to work as laboratory volunteers while still receiving full credit for the program.
Finding a Faculty Mentor
Students are encouraged to identify a faculty mentor early in their MS-1 spring semester. Review of past abstracts is recommended as well as speaking with students who participated in the program in the past. The SRP website contains a list of departments and faculty previous mentors who have agreed to serve as student research mentors. This list does not represent a compilation of all faculty who are interested in accepting students. Students are free to identify any McGovern Medical School faculty member for collaboration. If you need help finding a faculty mentor, attend the Summer Research “Job Fair” in January (MSB 5th floor gallery). Departments/faculty will be available to talk with you about their research projects.
All students will have the opportunity for the following:
- Participation in the C. Frank Webber Prizes for Student Research Competition at the Summer Research Program Research Forum.
- Student abstracts will be published on the Summer Research Program website.
- Upon successful completion of the program, a letter will be sent to the student’s blue book.
- Mandatory attendance at orientation.
- Attendance at weekly seminar-series lectures (written assignment required for missed lectures – no more than one absence allowed).
- Completion of 10-week program (encompasses 40-hour work week; no vacation is to be scheduled during the program with exception of May 27 and July 4th holiday).
- Completion of lecturer and program evaluations.
- Abstract submission.
- Mandatory attendance at closing program.
- Mandatory poster at Research Forum.
Summer Research Program
6431 Fannin JJL 315
Houston TX 77030