Allen Deutsch, MD
- Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopedic Surgery
Dr. Allen Deutsch is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at McGovern Medical School at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth).
Dr. Deutsch specializes in Shoulder and Elbow surgery. He has more than 17 years of clinical experience in the Greater Houston region treating all shoulder conditions including rotator cuff tears, shoulder arthritis, shoulder instability, the overhead athlete, shoulder fractures and frozen shoulder syndrome. Prior to joining the faculty at UTHealth, Dr. Deutsch was a Clinical Assistant Professor with the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine and University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston.
Dr. Deutsch has a particular interest in the diagnosis and management of the rotator cuff tendon. He has performed more than 3500 arthroscopic rotator cuff repair surgeries. He personally performs in-office ultrasound of the shoulder to diagnosis rotator cuff tears and monitor healing following surgery. He is very active in clinical and basic science research. He has authored 19 publications and 23 presentations related to the rotator cuff, the use of ultrasound, allografts, shoulder replacement and shoulder instability. He has extensive clinical experience with surgical and non-surgical management of all shoulder conditions related to sports, overuse, impingement syndrome, work injuries, arthritis and trauma in high school, college-level overhead athletes, middle-aged weekend warriors and older patients who want to return to their active lifestyle.
Dr. Deutsch received a B.A. from the City University of New York in Brooklyn, New York. He received his M.D. from Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx, New York. He completed his Orthopedic Surgery residency at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio and his fellowship in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery at University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Dr. Deutsch is certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery.
Dr. Deutsch is a member of several professional organizations including the prestigious American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, Arthroscopy Association of North America, Texas Orthopedic Association, and Houston Shoulder Society. Dr. Deutsch is a Consultant Reviewer for the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery and Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery.
- Undergraduate Degree
- City University of New York, Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, New York
- Undergraduate Degree
- Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel
- Medical Degree
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York
- Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- Orthopaedic Surgery, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Areas of Interests
Rotator cuff tears
The overhead athlete
Frozen shoulder syndrome
Active in Clinical and Basic Science Research
– authored or co-authored 11 publications related to the rotator cuff and presented 16 papers related to the rotator cuff at the AAOS, ASES, AOSSM, AANA Meetings.
– authored several publications regarding the use of ultrasound for diagnosis and management of the shoulder
– authored and presented publications related to the use of allografts to repair the rotator cuff
– authored, co-authored or presented several publications related to shoulder replacement and shoulder instability
- Raiss P, Edwards B, Deutsch A, Shah A, Bruckner T, Loew M, Boileau P, Walch G. Radiographic Changes Around Humeral Components in Shoulder Arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surgery 96:e54(1-9), 2014.
- Iannotti JP, Deutsch A, Green A, Rudicel S, Christensen J, Marraffino SJ, Rodeo SA. Time to Failure after Rotator Cuff Repair: A Prospective Imaging Study. J Bone Joint Surgery 95(11):965-71, 2013.
- Review Panel. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons:Appropriate Use Criteria on Optimizing the Management of Full-Thickness Rotator Cuff Tears. Rosemont, IL, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, September
- Barber FA, Burns JP, Deutsch A, Labbe MR. A Prospective, Randomized Evaluation of Acellular Human Dermal Matrix Augmentation for Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair. 28:8-15, 2012.
- Shah A, Milos S, Deutsch A. The Strength and Effects of Humeral Rotation on Single- versus Double-Row Repair Techniques in Small Rotator Cuff Tears. 33: 22, 2010.
- Shah, A, Deutsch A. Rotator Cuff Repair in the Athelte. Minerva Ortop Traumatol. 60:275-84, 2009.
- Shah, A, Deutsch A, Kroll D. Radiofrequency and its Effect on Suture Strength. Orthopedics. 32: 894, 2009.
- Deutsch, A, Kroll D, Hasapes J, Staewen RS, Pham C, Tait C. Repair Integrity and Clinical Outcome Following Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair Using Single-Row Anchor Fixation: A Prospective Study of Single Tendon and Two-Tendon Tears. J Shoulder Elbow Surg.17:845-52, 2008.
- Deutsch, A, Kroll D. Arthroscopic Remplissage Procedure Causing Loss of External Rotation: A Case Report. 31:492, 2008.
- Deutsch Abboud JA, Kelly J, Milan M; Norris T, Ramsey ML, Iannotti JP, MD, Williams GR. Clinical Results of Revison Shoulder Arthroplasty for glenoid component loosening. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 16:706-716, 2007.
- Deutsch A. Arthroscopic Repair of Partial Thickness Tears of the Rotator Cuff. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 16: 193-201, 2007.
- Deutsch A, Ramsey M, Williams GR, Jr. Loss of Passive External Rotation at 90o Abduction Is Predictive of a Medially Healed Bankart Lesion 22(7):710-715, 2006.
- Deutsch A, Spaulding J, Marcus RE. Preoperative Epoetin Alfa Versus Autologous Blood Donation in Primary Total Knee Arthoplasty. J Arthroplasty. 21(5):628-635, 2006.
- Victoroff BN, Ma Felix, Lie S, Deutsch A. The Effect of Weightbearing on Radiographic Indices of Patellofemoral Alignment. Case Orthopedic Journal. 2(1):62-74, 2005.
- Victoroff BN, Deutsch A, Protomastro P, Barber JE, Davy DT. The effect of radiofrequency thermal capsulorrhaphy on glenohumeral translation, rotation, and volume. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 13(2):138-145, 2004.
- Deutsch A, Barber E, Davy D, Victoroff BN. Anterior Capsular Shift: A Biomechanical Comparison of Glenoid- vs. Humeral-Based Shift Strategies. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 10(4):340-352, 2001.
- Deutsch A, Iannotti JP. Pitfalls in Humeral Stem Insertion and Humeral Head Sizing in Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. Tech Shoulder Elbow Surg. Jan-Feb, 2001.
- Deutsch A, Wyzykowski RJ, Victoroff BN. Evaluation of the Anatomy of the Common Peroneal Nerve: Defining Nerve-at-Risk in Arthroscopic Lateral Meniscus Repair. Am J Sports Med 27(1):10-15, 1999.
- Deutsch A, Altchek DW, Veltri DM, Potter HG, Warren RF. Traumatic Tears of the Subscapularis Tendon. Clinical Diagnosis, Magnetic Resonance Imaging Findings, and Operative Treatment. Am J Sports Med 25(1): 13-22,
- Runner up for Hughston Award from Am J Sports Med
- Paletta GA, Warner JJP, Warren RF, Deutsch A, Altchek DW.Shoulder Kinematics with Two-Plane X-Ray Evaluation in Patients with Anterior Instability or Rotator Cuff Tearing. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 6(6): 516-527, 1997.
- Deutsch A, Altchek DW, Schwartz E, Otis JC, Warren RF. Radiologic Measurement of Superior Migration of the Humeral Head in the Impingement Syndrome. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 5(3): 186-193, 1996.
- Victoroff BN, Marcus RE, Deutsch A. Arthroscopic Bone Peg Fixation in the Treatment of Osteochondritis Dissecans in the Knee. Arthroscopy 12(4): 506-509,
- Deutsch A, Veltri DM, Altchek DW, Potter HG, Warren RF, Wickiewicz TL. Symptomatic Intra-articular Ganglia of the Cruciate Ligaments of the Knee. Arthroscopy 10(2): 219-223,
- Laurencin CT, Deutsch A, O’Brien SJ, Altchek DW. The Superolateral Portal for Arthroscopy of the Shoulder. Arthroscopy10(3): 255-258,
- Haramati N, Deutsch A. Proximal Wrist Imaging. Clin Imaging 18(1): 79-84,
- Deutsch A, Haramati N. Injuries of the Carpus. The Einstein Quart J Biol Med 11(2): 66-72,