Ryan Taylor, M.D.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopedic Surgery
Dr. Ryan Taylor is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at McGovern Medical School at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth).
He is American Board of Orthopedic Surgery certified and specializes in Orthopedic Trauma, with an emphasis on periarticular fractures and dislocations, fractures of the pelvis and acetabulum, periprosthetic fractures, nonunions, malunions, and infections.
Dr. Taylor received his undergraduate degree at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire. He attended medical school at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School and subsequently completed a five year Orthopedic Surgery residency at the University of Pennsylvania. He went on to complete an Orthopedic Trauma Fellowship at the University of Texas Health Science center at Houston.
He is a member of several professional societies including the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, AO Trauma North America, and a candidate member in the Orthopedic Trauma Association.
Areas of Interests
Orthopedic trauma Periarticular fractures and dislocations Fractures of the pelvis and acetabulum Periprosthetic fractures Nonunions
Research Publications, peer reviewed:
1. Donegan DJ, Akinleye S, Taylor RM, Baldwin K, Mehta S. IM nailing of tibial shaft fractures: Size matters. J Orthop Trauma 30:377-380, 2016.
2. Scolaro JA, Taylor RM, Wigner NA. Venous thromboembolism in orthopedic trauma. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 23:1-6, 2015.
3. Courtney PM, Taylor R, Scolaro J, Donegan D, Mehta S. Displaced inferior ramus fractures as a marker of posterior pelvic injury. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 134:935-939, 2014.
4. Cannada L, Taylor R, Reddix R, Mullis B, Moghadamian E, Erickson M, Southeastern Fracture Consortium. The Jones-Powell Classification of open pelvic fractures: A multicenter study evaluating mortality rates. J Trauma and Acute Care Surgery 74:901-906, 2013.
5. Banerjee R, Chao J, Taylor R, Siddiqui A. Management of calcaneal tuberosity fractures. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 20:253-258, 2012.
6. Taylor RM, Sullivan MP, Mehta S. Acute compartment syndrome: obtaining diagnosis, providing treatment, and minimizing medicolegal risk. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med, 2012.
7. Banerjee R, Chao J, Sadeghi C, Taylor R, Nickisch F. Fractures of the calcaneal tuberosity treated with suture fixation through bone tunnels. J Orthop Trauma 25:685-90, 2011.
Research Publications, non-peer reviewed:
1. Taylor RM, Yoon R, Liporace FA, Donegan DJ. Circumferential negative pressure wound therapy for lower extremity fractures: A new technique. University of Pennsylvania Orthopedic Journal 25:21-22, 2015.
2. Taylor RM, Sullivan MP, Donegan DJ, Ahn J, Mehta S. Strategies and application of ankle-spanning multiplanar external fixators. University of Pennsylvania Orthopedic Journal 24:26-30, 2014.
3. Sullivan MP, Taylor RM, Donegan DJ, Mehta S, Ahn J. Length, alignment, and rotation: Operative techniques for intramedullary nailing of the comminuted, diaphyseal femur fracture. University of Pennsylvania Orthopedic Journal 24:31-35, 2014.
4. Courtney PM, Taylor RM, Scolaro J, Donegan DJ, Mehta S. Displaced inferior ramus fractures as a marker for pelvic instability. University of Pennsylvania Orthopedic Journal 24:65-67, 2014.
1. Taylor R, Roberts O, Schenker M, Milby A, Ahn J, Donegan D, Mehta S. Operative fixation of distal femur fractures: What factors have the greatest impact on fracture healing? AAOS Annual Meeting 2015.
1. Cannada L.K. Taylor R, Reddix R.N., Mullis B.H., Moghadamian E.S., Erickson M.M. Morbidity and Mortality of Open Pelvic Fractures using the Jones-Powell Classification. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeon’s Meeting, February 2009.
2. Cannada L.K. Taylor R, Reddix R.N., Mullis B.H., Moghadamian E.S., Erickson M.M. Morbidity and Mortality of Open Pelvic Fractures using the Jones-Powell Classification. Orthopedic Trauma Association Annual Meeting, UTSW Medical Student Research Forum, January 2009.
3. Cannada L.K. Taylor R, Reddix R.N., Mullis B.H., Moghadamian E.S., Erickson M.M. Morbidity and Mortality of Open Pelvic Fractures using the Jones-Powell Classification. Orthopedic Trauma Association Annual Meeting, October 2008.
4. Loeffler BL, Bosse MJ, Kellam JF, Sims SH, Obremskey WT, Cannada LK,Taylor R Short to Intermediate Term Outcomes after Treatment of Femoral Head Fractures Associated with Acetabular Fractures, Orthopedic Trauma Association Annual Meeting, October 2007.
1. Taylor R, Scolaro J. Trauma. Orthopedic Secrets: 4th edition (2014). Editors: Namdari S, Pill SG, Mehta S.
2. Sullivan MP, Taylor RM, Mehta S. The Surgical Review: An Integrated Basic and Clinical Science Study Guide 4th edition (2015). Editors: Porrett PM, Drebin JA.
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
AO Trauma North America
Orthopedic Trauma Association (Candidate member)