Md A. Wahed, MD
- Associate Professor, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
- Associate Program Director, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
(713) 500 - 5330 Office
- Hematopathology, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The University of Texas, Medical School at Houston, 2004
- Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The University of Texas, Medical School at Houston, 2003
- Post Graduate Training
- Diploma in Internal Medicine, Royal Post-Graduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital, London, England, 1993
- Senior House Officer
- Institute of Post-Graduate Medicine& Research (IPGMR), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1992
- Rotating Intern
- Institute of Post-Graduate Medicine& Research (IPGMR), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1989
- M.B, B.S
- Institute of Post-Graduate Medicine & Research, (IPGMR), University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1988
Areas of Interests
Hematopathology, Clinical Immunology and Clinical Pathology Consultative Service
Clinical Immunology, Hematopathology and Medical Education
Dr Wahed is actively engaged in translational research in the areas of his clinical interests, hematopathology, coagulation and immunology. Special areas of interest of his include serum protein electrophoresis and hemoglobin analysis.
1. Wahed A, Dasgupta A. Positive and Negative in Vitro Interference of Chinese Medicine Danshen in serum Digoxin Measurement: Elimination of Interference by Monitoring Free Digoxin Concentration; American J of Clin Pathol; 116(3):403-8., September 2001
2. Dasgupta A, Wahed A, Wells A:Rapid spot tests for detecting the presence of adulterants in urine specimens submitted for drug testing; Am J of Clin Pathol; February; vol 117, No 2:325-9, 2002
3. Dasgupta A, Wahed A, Culton L,Olsen M, Wells A, Actor JK. Activated charcoal is more effective than equilibrium dialysis in removing Chinese medicines Chan Su and Danshen from serum and activated charcoal also prevents further absorption of these agents from GIT in mice: monitoring the effect in clinical laboratory by measuring digoxin activity in serum: Clin Chim Acta, Oct, 324(1-2): 51-9, 2002
4. Saffer H, Wahed A, Medeiros JL. Clusterin expression in malignant lymphomas: a survey of 266 cases; Mod Pathol, Nov 15(11):1221-6, 2002.
5. Wahed A, Connelly J, Reese T. E-Cadherin expression in pleomorphic lobular carcinoma; an aid to differentiation from ductal carcinoma: Ann Diagn Pathol, Dec; 6(6): 349-51, 2002
6. Wahed A, Pollard J, Wells A, Dasgupta A. Impaired Protein Binding of Chinese Medicine Dan Shen in Uremic Sera and Sera with Hyperbilirubinemia: Rapid Assessment of Total And Free Dan Shen Concentrations Using the Flouresence Polarization Immunoassay for Digoxin. J Clin Lab Anal; 17(5):179-83, 2003
7. Scurlock D, Nguyen A, Wahed A. Pathologic quiz case: twin neonates with thrombocytopenia. May-Hegglin anomaly. Arch Pathol Lab Med, Apr;129 (4):e111-2, 2005
8. Scurlock D, Ostler D, Nguyen A, Wahed A. Ellis-van Creveld syndrome and dyserythropoiesis, Arch Pathol Lab . Med, May;129 (5):680-2, 2005
9. Dasgupta A, Johnson M, Wahed A.The new LOCI digoxin assay on the Vista 1500 analyzer is virtually free from interferences of herbal supplements Hawthorn and Ashwagandha (Indian Ginseng). J Clin Lab Anal 26:227-231,2012
10. Huang, R. S.P., Tholpady, A., Wahed, A., Chang, B. and Bai, Y. (2012), Therapeutic plasmapheresis and red blood cell exchange in a sickle cell trait patient with rhabdomyolysis. J. Clin. Apheresis, 27: 342–345. doi: 10.1002/jca.21247, 2012
11. Bond M, Elguea C, Yan JS, Pawlowski M, Williams J, Wahed A, Oden M, Tkaczyk TS, Richards-Kortum R. Chromatography paper as a low-cost medium for accurate spectrophotometric assessment of blood hemoglobin concentration. Lab Chip,13, 2381-2388, 2013
12. A Al-Ibraheemi A, Pham T, Chen L, Syklawer E, Quesada A, Wahed A, Nedelcu E, Nguyen AN. Comparison between 1-needle technique versus 2-needle technique for bone marrow aspiration and biopsy procedures. Arch Pathol Lab Med. Jul;137(7):974-8, 2013
13. Huang R, Oleske D, Tholpady A, Chang B, Dasgupta A, Nguyen A, Wahed A. High False Positive Rate For Monoclonal Gammopathy Using Capillary Electrophoresis (CAPILLARYS 2) Alone. J Clin Lab Anal,Jan;28(1):42-6, 2014
14. Huang R, Nedelcu E, Bai Y, Wahed A, Klein K, Gregoric I, Patel M, Kar B, Loyalka P, Nathan S, Loubser P, Weeks P, Radovancevic R, Nguyen A. Mobile Computing Platform with Decision-support Modules for Hemotherapy. Accepted for publication: American J of Clin Pathol,Jun;141 (6):834-40, 2014
15. Welsh KJ, Nedelcu E, Bai Y, Wahed A, Klein K, Tint H, Gregoric I, Patel M, Kar B, Loyolka P, Nathan S, Loubser P, Weeks PA, Radovancevic R, Nguyen AN. How do we manage cardiopulmonary bypass coagulopathy? Transfusion, Sep;54 (9):2158-66, 2014.
16. Oleske DA, Huang RS, Dasgupta A, Ngyen A, Wahed A. Higher sensitivity of capillary electrophoresis in detecting hemoglobin A2’ compared to traditional gel electrophoresis. Ann Clin Lab Sci;summer:44 (3):291-293,2014
17. Huang RS, Dasgupta A, Nguyen AN, Wahed A. Inability to measure M protein with capillary zone electrophoresis (Cappillarys 2) in tracings with nondiscernable peaks. J Clin Lab Anal;Aug 17.doi:10.1002/jcla.21776, 2014
18. Welsh KJ, Padilla A, Dasgupta A, Nguyen ND, and Wahed A. Thromboelastography is a suboptimal test for determination of the underlying cause of bleeding associated with cardiopulmonary bypass and may not predict a hypercoagulable state. American J of Clin Pathol, Oct;142 (4):492-7, 2014.
19. Quesada AE, Jabcuga CE, Nguyen A, Wahed A, Nedelcu E, Nguyen AN. Interpretation of coagulation results using a web based reporting system. Lab Med Fall;45(4):347-60, 2014
20. Nguyen TP, Biliciler S, Wahed A, Sheikh K. Occurrence of hemolytic anemia in patients with GBS treated with high dose IVIg. Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm Dec11;1(4), 2014
21. Chang B, Nguyen A, Dasgupta A, Wahed A, “Prevalence of Howell-Jolly Body Like Inclusions in HIV Patients and Their Correlation with CD4 Counts and HIV RNA Viral Load”; Ann Clin Lab Sci, Winter, 45 (1):23-6, 2015
22. Huang RS, Nedelcu E, Bai Y, Wahed A, Klein K, Tint H, Gregoric I, Patel M, Kar B, Loyalka P, Nathan S, Radovancevic R, Nguyen AN. Post-operative bleeding risk stratification in cardiac pulmonary bypass patients using artificial neural network. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2015 Spring;45(2):181-6.
23. Risin SA, Chang BN, Welsh KJ, Kidd LR, Moreno V, Chen L, Tholpady A, Wahed A, Nguyen N, Kott M, Hunter RL. Exploring New Ways to Deliver Value to Healthcare Organizations: Algorithmic Testing, Data Integration, and Diagnostic E-consult Service. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2015 May;45(3):239-47
24. Everett JM, Kojima YA, Davis B, Wahed A, Dasgupta A. The iDigoxin Assay is More Sensitive than LOCI Digoxin Assay for Rapid Detection of Convallatoxin, the Active Cardiac Glycoside of Lily of The Valley. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2015 May;45(3):323-6
25. Kerry J. Welsh, Amitava Dasgupta, Andy N. D. Nguyen, and Amer Wahed. Utility of VerifyNow for Point-of-Care Identification of an Aspirin Effect Prior to Emergency Cardiac Surgery. Ann Clin Lab Sci, vol 45, no4, 2015
26. Castillo B, Chang B, Wahed A, Tholpady A. A rare case of acquired Fanconi syndrome with monoclonal gammopathy in an infant. Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis, Accepted for publication.
Nguyen, A. Wahed. Chapter 19, 305-313.Sources of errors in hematology and coagulation testing. In: Accurate Results in the Clinical Laboratory-A Guide to Error Detection and Correction, Editors: A. Dasgupta, J. Sepulveda. Elsevier, New York,2013
A Al-Ibraheemi, A Dasgupta, AWahed. Chapter 12, 177-191. Pitfalls in tumor markers testing. In: Accurate Results in the Clinical Laboratory-A Guide to Error Detection and Correction, Editors: A. Dasgupta, J. Sepulveda. Elsevier, New York, 2013
A Wahed, S Risin. Issues with Immunology and Serology testing. Chapter 18.295-303 In: Accurate Results in the Clinical Laboratory-A Guide to Error Detection and Correction, Editors: A. Dasgupta, J. Sepulveda. Elsevier, New York, 2013
A Dasgupta and A Wahed. Clinical Chemistry, Immunology and Laboratory Quality Control Primer: A comprehensive Review for Board Preparation, Certification and Clinical Practice. Elsevier, New York, 2014
A Wahed and A Dasgupta. Hematology and Coagulation: A comprehensive Review for Board Preparation, Certification and Clinical Practice. Elsevier, New York, 2015
Licenses and Certificates
Diploma in Internal Medicine from the Royal Post-Graduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital, London, England, July 1993
American Board of Pathology (AP and CP), 2003
Current Professional Affiliations
American Society of Clinical Pathologists
College of American Pathologists
American Association of Clinical Chemistry
Honors and Awards
Placed first in the Final Professional exams, Faculty of Medicine, University of Dhaka, 1988
Chancellors Gold medal, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1988
Paul E. Strandjord Young Investigator Award from the Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists, USA, July 2001
Helen Chu Wagner Award, for outstanding performance in the field of Pathology, Department of Pathology, University of Texas-Houston, 2003
Clinical Pathology, Clinical Pathology Faculty of the year, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, 2014-2015,2013-14, 2012-2013, 2011-2012.
Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award, 2014-2015, 2013-14, 2012-2013, 2011-2012.