Zhihong Hu, MD
- Assistant Professor of Pathology-Clinical, Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, LBJ
- Bethune University of Medical Sciences (BUMS, Ghangchun, Jilin Province, P.R. China)
- Loyola University Medical Center (LUMC)
- Hematopathology Fellow
- Department of Hematopathology, The University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Surgical Pathology Fellow
- Department of Pathology, Loyola University Medical Center
- Department of Pathology, Loyola University Medical Center
Papers and Publications:
1.Sun Y, Tang G, Hu Z, et al. Comparison of Karyotyping, TCL1
Fluorescence in situ Hybridization and TCL1 Immunohistochemistry in Tcell
Prolymphocytic Leukemia. Accepted by The Journal of Clinical
2. Hu Z, Medeiros LJ et al. 3q26.2/EVI1 rearrangements are associated
with poor prognosis in Philadelphia chromosome-negative
myeloproliferative neoplasms. Mod Pathol. 2017 Mar 24. doi:
3. Hu Z, Medeiros LJ et al. Prognostic significance of cytogenetic
abnormalities in T-Cell Prolymphocytic Leukemia. Am J Hematol. 2017
Feb 14. doi: 10.1002/ajh.24679
4. Hu Z, Sun T. Blastic plasmacytoid dendritic cell neoplasm associated
with chronic myelomonocytic leukemia. Blood 2016 128:1664
5. Hu Z, Sun Y et al. Refractory Hairy Cell Leukemia-Variant. Am J
Hematol. 2016 Oct 11. doi: 10.1002/ajh.24580.
6. Wang W, Chen Z, Hu Z et al. Clinical significance of trisomy 8 that
emerges during therapy in chronic myeloid leukemia. Blood Cancer
J. 2016 Nov 4;6(11):e490.
7. Hu Z, Wang W et al. Mantle Cell Lymphoma with MYC Rearrangement:
A Report of 17 Patients. Am J Surg Pathol. 2017 Feb;41(2):216-224.
8. Hu Z, Li S et al. TCL-1 positive hematogones in a patient with T-cell
prolymphocytic leukemia after therapy. Hum Pathol. 2017 Feb 20. pii:
S0046-8177(17)30044-8. doi: 10.1016/j.humpath.2016.12.030.
9. McCroskey, Bahar B, Hu Z et al. Journal of the American Society of
Cytopathology, Volume 4, Issue 4, 2014:183-189
10. Hu Z, Mudaliar K, Paner G. et al. Measuring dimension of tumor invasion
of urothelial carcinoma in transurethral resection predicts time of
recurrence. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2014 Apr;18(2):49-52.
11. Hu Z, Chou PM, et al. Infantile fibrosarcoma- a clinical and histologic
mimicker of vascular malformations: case report and review of literature.
Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2013 Sep-Oct;16(5):357-63.
12. Pallikkuth S, Blackwell D, Hu Z et al. Phosphorylated Phospholamban
Stabilizes a Compact Conformation of the Cardiac Calcium-ATPase.
Biophys J. 2013 Oct 15;105(8):1812-21.
13. Bahar B, Hu Z, et al. Fatal case of luteinized thecoma with sclerosing
peritonitis in a 40-year-old woman. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2014
14. Hou Z, Hu Z, et al. 2-Color calcium pump reveals closure of the
cytoplasmic headpiece with calcium binding. PLoS One.
15. Webber, C.L., Jr., Hu Z, Akar J. (2011). Unstable Cardiac
Singularities May Lead to Atrial Fibrillation. Int. J. Bifurcation Chaos 21:
16. Hu Z, Wang Y, Graham WV, Su L, Musch MW, Turner JR. MAPKAPK-2
is a critical signaling intermediate in NHE3 activation following Na+-
glucose cotransport. J Biol Chem. 2006. 281: 24247-53.
17. Hu Z, Sayeed MM. Activation of PI-3 kinase/Akt and NF-B signaling
contributes to delay in neutrophil apoptosis after burn injury. Am J
Physiol Cell Physiol. 2005 May; 288(5):C1171-8.
18. Hu Z, Sayeed MM (2004). Suppression of mitochondria-dependent
neutrophil apoptosis with thermal injury. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol.
19. Zbilut JP, Hu Z, and Webber CL Jr. (2000). Singularities of the heart
beat as demonstrated by recurrence quantification analysis. Proc Eng
Med Biol Soc. CD ROM.
1. Hu Z, Sun Y et al. CD200 Expression in Mantle Cell lymphoma
Correlates with Absence of SOX11 Expression and a Leukemic
Presentation. 2017 USCAP Annual Meeting in San Antonia
2. Hu Z, Wang W, et al. 3q26.2/EVI1 rearrangements are associated with
poor prognosis in Philadelphia chromosome-negative myeloproliferative
neoplasms. 2017 USCAP Annual Meeting in San Antonia
3. Hu Z, Medeiros LJ, Tang G et al. Complex Karyotypes Predict a Poorer
Prognosis in T-cell Prolymphocytic Leukemia. 2016 USCAP Annual
Meeting in Seattle
4. Hu Z, Wang W, Chen Z et al. Mantle Cell Lymphoma with MYC
Rearrangement: Best Considered as a Form of Double Hit Lymphoma?
2016 USCAP Annual Meeting in Seattle
5. Hu Z, Guo T, Sharr M et al. Depth of Invasion: A Reliable Predictor of
Lymphadenectomy in FIGO Grade II Endometrial Carcinoma Patients.
2015 USCAP Annual Meeting in Boston
6. Hu Z, Omman R, Velankar M et al. Myeloid Antigen Expression In
Lymphoid Blasts Does Not Impact Prognosis of Acute Lymphoblastic
Leukemia (ALL). 2015 USCAP Annual Meeting in Boston
7. Alikhan M, Hu Z, Moroch J, et al. Follicular T cell lymphomas
frequently display an aberrant CD3-/CD4+ population by flow cytometry:
an important clue to the diagnosis of a Hodgkin lymphoma mimic, 2013
USCAP Annual Meeting in San Diego
8. Hu Z, Godambe A, Sanchez B, Kapur U and Yong S. Morphologic
Features Predict Prognosis in Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma. 2012
USCAP Annual Meeting in Vancouver.
9. Hu Z, Ibragimova Z, Kapur U, Wafai R and Mehrotra S. Incidence of
Thyrioid Malignancy in Completion Thyroidectomy – A Single Institution
Experience over Ten Years. 2012 USCAP Annual Meeting in
10. Mudaliar K, Mehta V, Hu Z, Picken M. The effect of general versus subspecialty
sign-out on the the reporting of lung transplant biopsy
rejection. 2012 USCAP Annual Meeting in Vancouver.
11. Sojitra P, Hu Z, Li Y, Parthasarathy M, Kini AR, Stiff PJ, Venkataraman
G. Marrow Hematogones as a Percent of B-Lymphocytes Correlates
with Event-Free Survival (EFS) after Allogeneic Bone Marrow
Transplant. 2012 USCAP Annual Meeting in Vancouver.
12. Hu Z, Y Li, J Gagermeier, R Love, C Alex and M Picken. Comparison of
infectious pathogen detection in pre- and postmortem specimens from
lung transplant patients. 2011 USCAP annual meeting in San Antonio,
13. Li Y, Hu Z, Gagermeier J, Alex C, Love R and Picken M. Transbronchial
Lung Biopsy is not an Optimal Method for Evaluating Chronic Rejection
in Lung Transplant Patients. 2011 USCAP annual meeting in San
14. Hu Z, Paner G, Mudaliar K, and Barkan G. Measuring dimension of
tumor invasion of urothelial carcinoma (UCa) in transurethral resection
(TUR) predicts time of recurrence. 2011 USCAP annual meeting in San
15. Hu Z, Y Li, J Gagermeier, R Love, C Alex and M Picken. Medical
complications in lung transplant patients – autopsy data from a single
center. 2010 USCAP annual meeting in Washington DC.
16. Li Y, Hu Z, Gagermeier J, Alex C, Love R and Picken M. Retrospective
analysis of lung transplant patients between 1991-2009: improved
survival is related to native lung disease. 2010 USCAP annual meeting
in Washington DC.
17. Hu Z, Y Li, J Gagermeier, R Love, C Alex and M Picken. Increased
length of survival after lung transplantation is not dependent on patient
age at transplantation – analysis of 625 cases from a single center.
2010 USCAP annual meeting in Washington DC.
Certifications and Awards/Honors
- The American Board of Pathology, Hematopathology, 2016
- The American Board of Pathology, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology,
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
May 2017 The Shannon Timmins Fellowship for Leukemia Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Nov 2015 Fellow research grant, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Mar 2011 The best Infectious Disease presentation at the 100th annual meeting of USCAP, Binford-Dammin Society of Infectious Disease Pathologists, San Antonio, Texas
Mar 2010 Second author of abstract of Stowell-Orbison, Surgical Pathology, and/or Autopsy Pathology Award, USCAP, Washington DC
Jun 2004 Travel award, the Shock Society, 27th Annual Shock Conference, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Jun 2003 Young Investigator Award, Shock Society, 26th Annual Shock Conference, Phoenix, Arizona
Jun 2003 Travel award, the Shock Society, 26th Annual Shock Conference, Phoenix, Arizona
1999-2001 Pre-doctoral Fellowship, Loyola University Medical Center