This process is only for the Department of Pediatrics at McGovern Medical School. If you would like to apply for a visiting position in a different department, you will need to contact that department.
- The first step in obtaining an observership with the McGovern Medical School’s Pediatrics department is to secure faculty sponsorship. The department does not have a list of faculty that regularly accept observers. It is the responsibility of the applicant to research Pediatric faculty and reach out, either by email or by phone, the physician and explain that he/she is looking for that particular physician to sponsor them. Faculty from other specialties cannot be the sponsor for and Pediatric observership/professional trainee/pre-baccalaureate trainee/visiting student trainee/visiting scientist.
- Once the applicant has obtained a faculty sponsor, the faculty sponsor must receive the approval of his/her Division Director to sponsor the applicant.
- The applicant must review the application instructions to determine which category is appropriate for the applicant to apply under. This needs to be discussed with the faculty sponsor before completing the application. Beginning with the first page of the application (not including the directions), the applicant must complete pages 1-4 and attach all supporting documentation, as outlined by the application, refer to Application Instructions and Procedure Overview for Visitors.
- The application is located at Application for Observer/Trainee/Visiting Scientist.
- Once the applicant has completed his/her portion, the entire application must be forwarded to the faculty sponsor for completion of the faculty sponsor portion (pages 5-6; if applicable, the Pre-Baccalaureate/Professional Trainee Plan).
- Upon completion of the application by the applicant and faculty sponsor, the entire application, with the appropriate fees, should be forwarded to staff assistant for the division of interest for signature by the Chairman.
- Once the application has been signed by the Chairman, it will be routed to the appropriate departments on campus to complete the application process.
- Once an application is approved, the Faculty Sponsor’s Department/School sends an acceptance notification to the Applicant, detailing the approved dates and scope of work.
- Before the visit can start, the Applicant must have an intake appointment with Human Resources to review the Applicant’s identification and obtain a visitor’s UTHealth badge. In addition, the foreign national Applicant must obtain visa clearance from the Office of International Affairs.
- Letters of Invitation will not be issued.
***** Applications submitted less than 4 weeks in advance of the desired start date will be returned without review.