Can hiring a diverse staff actually help patients from different backgrounds open up more during sessions?

July 24, 2020

Written by: Zeshen Wu, MD

Hello, I’m Zeshen Wu, MD, assistant professor of psychiatry at UTHealth, and I was very fortunate to be invited by a fellow psychiatrist and old colleague of mine, Gregory Brown, MD, to feature in a live chat on Men’s Health Magazine’s social media site.

It was a great opportunity not only to catch up with an old friend and former co-resident, but to also discuss some topics relevant to these unique times. Brown has been vocal about many issues regarding race and health and wanted to talk about my experiences as an Asian American psychiatrist and managing our mental wellness today.

It was a bit anxiety-inducing to go live in front of an audience I’m normally not used to, but in the end it was simply a candid conversation between two psychiatrists. Our chat went on to cover topics including the burden of stress during the pandemic, my personal experiences in cultural competency and diversity, making mental health care more inclusive to minorities, my involvement in art and community, as well as coping with burdens of social media.  

I invite you to read the article in Men’s Health Magazine and listen to the video. I hope you find it insightful, as it was my pleasure to speak. I’m very grateful for the opportunity to share my thoughts on this platform.