We offer 14 ACGME accredited residency positions each year (11 DR and 3 IR/DR).
We participate in the NRMP match and applications are only accepted through ERAS. Don’t forget to also register with the NRMP and obtain an NRMP number.
Each year we receive over 600 applications and interview around 150 applicants for the 14 residency positions.
Applications to our Diagnostic Radiology (DR) and combined UT/MDA Integrated IR Residency (IR/DR) programs:
- The DR program and the IR/DR program each have specific and different ID numbers
- You may apply to the DR program (without applying to the IR/DR program)
- You may apply to the IR/DR program (without applying to the DR program)
- You may apply to both programs. You are not required to apply to both programs, unless you are interested in both.
- Please note that the IR/DR program advertised on this website is the same program you will find advertised on the MDACC IR website, as we are a combined program (UT/MDA Integrated IR Residency).
Interviews are by invitation only. All candidates invited to interview will receive an e-mail offering a selection of dates for interviews.
Interviews are conducted on Fridays between October 12th and February 1st. A limited number of slots are available for each interview date and are provided on a first-come first-serve basis.
A pre-interview dinner is hosted by the residents on Thursday evening.
What to expect on interview day
The interview day begins at 8:00 a.m. and concludes around 3 pm for DR applicants and 5pm for IR applicants. IR and DR applicants will both interview at McGovern Medical School during the morning. IR applicants will interview at MD Anderson in the afternoon.
Sample Format of Interview Day (exact times will vary each week):
- 8:00 am Continental breakfast.
- 8:30 am Welcome by Program Director, Dr. Emma Ferguson
- 9:00 am – 11:00 am DR Interviews and tours at McGovern Medical School. You will have three short 15 min interviews with faculty and/or one of the chief residents. You will tour UT and Memorial Hermann Hospital with the residents.
- 11:00 am Group meeting with Dr. Susan John (Dept. Chair)
- 12:30 pm Catered Lunch by Fadi’s with the residents
- 1:30 pm Tour of MD Anderson
- 2-5 pm IR interviews and tour at MD Anderson (IR applicants only). You will interview with several IR faculty members for MDA and UT.
The Diagnostic Radiology selection committee includes Dr. Emma Ferguson (Program Director), Dr. Elliott Friedman (Assistant Program Director), the chief residents and several faculty members from McGovern Medical School and MD Anderson who are part of the residency training program committee.
The IR selection committee includes Dr. Josh Kuban (MD Anderson), Dr. Zagum Bhatti (UT IR Assistant Program Director) and several additional IR faculty members.
On your interview day you will check-in at the Radiology Residency Office at 8:00 am.
Radiology Residency Office
McGovern Medical School at UT Health
6431 Fannin Street
Room MSB 2.116 (on the 2nd floor of the medical school)
Houston, TX 77030
- Park in Garage 4 (Entrance 18 on Fannin dr.)
- Walk one block to the Medical school.
- Take the elevator to the 2nd floor, follow the signs to room 2.116.
Two major airports serve the Houston area:
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), located about 25 miles North of the city.
- Houston Hobby Airport, located about 10 miles South of the city.
- Be sure to ask if the hotels offer special rates to candidates who are interviewing at the McGovern Medical School!
- Some hotels offer shuttles to the med center
Marriott Residence Inn
Special Rate Available
2939 Westpark Dr.
Spring Hill Suites by Marriott
1400 Old Spanish Trail
Courtyard by Marriott
Special Rate Available
2929 Westpark Dr.
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites
6800 Main Street
Special assistance and information
If you would like additional information, please contact our Radiology Residency Office at 713-500-7640. You should speak with Ms. Lea Roberts (Program Coordinator), Mrs. Lori Brown (Program Coordinator), or Dr. Emma Ferguson (Program Director).