History and Fun Facts about Houston
- Houston was founded in 1836 & named in honor of General Sam Houston, the president of the Republic of Texas.
- It has since grown into the 4th largest city in the USA.
- Houston has one of the youngest, fastest growing, and most diverse populations in the world.
- The total area of Houston (656.3 square miles) is so large that it could simultaneously contain the cities of New York, Boston, and San Francisco.
- Houston’s Texas Medical Center is the largest medical center in the world. It employs over 120K people and hosts 7.2 million patient visits each year.
- Leading in health care and energy, Houston has the second most Fortune 500 company headquarters in the USA.
- Houston, the Energy Capital of the World, is home to over 5,000 energy related firms.
- The temperate weather ensures that outdoor activities can be enjoyed year-round.
- With more than 11,000 restaurants — featuring outstanding regional American dishes to diverse international cuisine — Houstonians enjoy taking advantage of one of the nation’s hottest food scenes
- Houston Chronicle Top 100
- Houston Press Restaurant Guide
- Houston Restaurant Weeks
- Houston is home to a variety of professional sports teams, including the 2017 World Champions Astros (Major League Baseball), Texans (National Football League), Rockets (National Basketball Association), Dynamo (Major League Soccer) and Dash (National Women’s Soccer League)
- Golf: There are over 165 courses in Houston. The Shell Houston Open is the lead-in tournament for the Masters Golf Tournament.
- HAR is a great resource for residents looking to relocate to Houston.
- Houston has diverse and affordable real estate.
- McGovern Medical School provides a free shuttle service to areas around the medical center.