Associate Professor, Diagnostic and Interventional Imaging
Education & Training
- Medical School
- Stanley Medical College and Hospitals, Madras, India, 1994
- Internal Medicine, Accident & Emergency, General Surgery, Stanley Medical College and Hospitals, Madras, India, 1995
- Accident & Emergency, Orthopaedics & Trauma, General Surgery, Queens Hospital, Burton NHS Trust, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, UK, 1998
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, Freeman Teaching Hospitals, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, 1998
- Accident & Emergency (Including Hand Surgery), Crosshouse Hospital Ayrshire & Arran NHS Trust, Kilmarnock, UK, 1999
- Diagnostic Radiology, University of Aberdeen/Grampian University NHS Hospitals, Aberdeen, UK, 2005
- Emergency & Trauma Radiology, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston (now known as McGovern Medical School at UTHealth), 2006
Areas of Interests
- Clinical Interests
Provide tertiary level interpretation of Musculoskeletal imaging, with subspecialty interest in Sports injuries.
Perform musculoskeletal intervention to diagnose and treat orthopedic and sports pathology. Interventions performed ultrasound, plain radiography and, CT.
- Research Interest
Diffuse tensor imaging of peripheral nerves, Plasma rich platelet therapy, knee impingement and traumatic femur head injuries.
Professional and Linguistic Aptitude Board (PLAB) – General Medical Council, UK. February, 1996.
Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (FRCS) – Board Certification in Surgery in General – January, 1999
Member of Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow (MRCS) – Board Certification in Surgery in General – February, 1999
Fellow of Royal College of Radiologists (FRCR) – Board Certification in Radiology November, 2003
Certification of Completion of Specialist Training – Board certification in Radiology with certification of completion of specialist training- authorized to practice as a specialist in the European Union – 31 countries. July, 2005
Diplomat of the American Board of Radiology –November, 2010
- Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston (now known as McGovern Medical School at UTHealth), 2007-2013
- Indian Academy of Paediatrics Certificate of Merit
- Radiographics award – ‘Get over the ‘Bump!’ RSNA 92nd Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting, McCormick Place, Chicago IL. November 26-December 1, 2006
- Certificate of Merit at RSNA 94th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting, Chicago IL, Nov-Dec 2008. S C Spence, M. Kumaravel. Femoral Head Fractures: A Critical but Frequently Missed Injury.
- Certificate of Merit at RSNA 96th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting, Chicago IL, Nov-Dec 2010. M. Kumaravel, N Beckmann, R Kinglesmith. Chip Fractures Around the Knee: The Tip of an Iceberg!
- Certificate of Merit at RSNA 97th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting, Chicago IL, Nov 27-Dec 2, 2011. M. Kumaravel; C.E. Cook; N.M. Beckmann; S.C. Spence; M. Adickes; W. Lowe. Microfracture Treatment of Cartilage Injuries: All You Ever Wanted to Know.