Under the direction of Program Director Dr. Joseph Love, we evaluate several hundred completed applications each year from graduates of medical schools all across the United States (and elsewhere) to work with our large, dedicated and extremely capable faculty who bring with them national and international reputations for their expertise in most of the areas which constitute general surgery. Resident and faculty work together to help every trainee to design a course of study to best meet their future needs.
Combined with the wealth of optional research opportunities available to our residents, we have been successful at placing our recent graduates into highly competitive specialty fellowships, solo rural practice, and every other conceivable position. Come help us create the next chapter of surgical history at McGovern Medical School.
Check out some recent Destinations of our Program Alumni.
2018-2019 Interview Dates
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
Thursday, September 20th
Thursday, November 15th
Thursday, December 6th
Thursday, January 10th
* The pre-interview social occurs the evening before from 6:30-9:00pm at a location TBD. This gives you the opportunity to meet and mingle with the faculty, residents, and program staff.
** Applications are reviewed daily; please do not call to check the status of your application. Should you be selected to interview, we will notify you by email.
We are currently accepting applications for General Surgery Residency for start date of July 1, 2019.
- Applications are only accepted through ERAS. Please do not mail, fax or e-mail any information unless asked to do so.
- All applicants must meet the minimum requirements for General Surgery Residency as outlined by the ACGME.
- The McGovern Medical School only sponsors J-1 Visas.
- International Medical Graduates
- You must have a valid ECFMG certificate before applying to our program.
- Required Document List: If you are asked to interview, you will need to bring notarized copies of all items on the GME Required Documents list will be reviewed by one of our coordinators on your interview day. Should you match with our program, a copy of the notarized paperwork will be forwarded to our GME Office as part of their documentation in setting up your residency contract and orientation packet.
Joseph D. Love, D.O.
Catherine March, M.B.A.
Residency Program Coordinator II
Senior Residency Program Coordinator
The University of Texas McGovern Medical School at Houston
General Surgery Residency Program
6431 Fannin Street, MSB 4.331
Houston, TX 77030