A graduate of the University of Houston Clear Lake, Dr. Shinil Shah earned his medical degree at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (Stratford, NJ). He completed his residency in general surgery and a fellowship in advanced gastrointestinal minimally invasive and robotic surgery at McGovern Medical School. He also completed a surgical research fellowship at UTHealth/Texas A&M University Michael E DeBakey Institute for Comparative Cardiovascular Science and Biomedical Devices.
Board certified in general surgery and one of only a few surgeons who has undergone formal fellowship training in robotic gastrointestinal surgery, Dr. Shah’s primary clinical interests are benign and malignant conditions of the gastrointestinal tract. His areas of specialty care include surgery of the esophagus and stomach (including surgery for reflux/heartburn, weight loss, achalasia, hiatal hernias, ulcer disease, gastrointestinal stromal tumors, and gastric cancer), surgery of solid organs (spleen, adrenal glands, thyroid, parathyroid, pancreas and liver), surgery of the abdominal wall and hernia surgery, including complex abdominal wall reconstruction, and colon surgery and colon cancer. Whenever possible, he uses advanced minimally invasive techniques including robotic, laparoscopic and endoscopic (incision-less) approaches.
Dr. Shah is a Medical Director of Clinical Research, and assistant professor of surgery at UTHealth as well as on the faculty of the Michael E DeBakey Institute for Comparative Cardiovascular Science and Biomedical Devices at Texas A&M University. He is an author or co-author on over 50 peer reviewed manuscripts and book chapters.
- A.A., General Studies, Wharton County Junior College, 1997-2000
- B.S., Behavioral Sciences, University of Houston Clear Lake, 2000-2001
- D.O., University of Medicine and Dentistry Of New Jersey, School of Osteopathic Medicine, 2002-2006
- General Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center Medical School, 2006-2013
- Michael E. DeBakey Institute for Comparative Cardiovascular Science and Biomedical Devices Surgical Research, Texas A&M University, 2008-2010
- Minimally Invasive/Robotic Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center Medical School, 2013-2014
UT Physicians Minimally Invasive Surgeons of Texas (UTMIST)
6700 West Loop South, Suite 500
Bellaire, TX 77401
UT Physicians at Sienna Village
8810 Highway 6, Suite 100
Missouri City, TX 77459
UT Physicians General Surgery – Sugar Land
17510 W. Grand Parkway South, Suite 190
Sugar Land, TX 77479