Dr. Dean W. Smith is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at McGovern Medical School at UTHealth Houston. Dr. Smith has been a proud Houstonian and Orthopaedic Surgeon in the Texas Medical Center since completing his fellowship in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery in 2001.
He graduated Summa Cum Laude at the University of Missouri-School of Medicine after receiving a B.A. in Education and Exercise Science from the University of Kentucky.
Dr. Smith received his fellowship training in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery at the University of Florida after completing his post-graduate training in Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of New Mexico.
His practice remains committed to education and the advancement of hand surgery through on-going research and peer-reviewed publications. He is also a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha and Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Societies.
· Smith DW: Scaphoid stress fracture in a 65 yo male with decreased bone mineral density: A case report. University of New Mexico Orthopaedic Research Journal. Volume 4: 61-63, 2015
· Smith DW: Distal Radius Fractures. In: Comprehensive Care of the High-Level Athlete: A Master Skills Publication. American Society for Surgery of the Hand. 2014
· Smith DW: Glomus Tumor of the Upper Extremity: An Under Recognized Cause of Pain. University of New Mexico Orthopaedics Research Journal. Volume 2: 52-54, 2013
· Smith DW: Boutonniere and Pulley Rupture in Elite Basketball. Elite Athlete’s Hand and Wrist Injury. Hand Clinics. WB Saunders. Philadelphia, PA. 28(3): 449-450, 2012
· Smith DW: ECU Tendonitis and Subluxation in Elite Basketball. Elite Athlete’s Hand and Wrist Injury. Hand Clinics. WB Saunders. Philadelphia, PA. 28(3): 359-360, 2012
· Smith DW: Breaking the Surface: Ganglion Cysts Don’t Have to Hinder Hand Function or Appearance. Advance for Directors in Rehabilitation, 15(11): 21-22, 2006
· Smith DW, Henry MH: Volar Fixed Angle Plating of the Distal Radius. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 13(1): 28-36, 2005
· Wright TW, Horodyski M, Smith DW: Functional Outcome of Unstable Distal Radius Fractures: ORIF with a Volar Fixed-Angle Tine Plate vs External Fixation. Journal of Hand Surgery, 30(2): 289-299, 2005
· Henry MH., Levaro F, Smith DW: Free Adipofascial Flap Interposition for Posttraumatic Forearm Synostosis with Closed Head Injury. Annals of Plastic Surgery, 53(5):506-509, 2004
· Smith DW, Brou KE, Henry MH: Early Active Rehabilitation for Operatively Stabilized Distal Radius Fractures. Journal of Hand Therapy. 17:43-49, 2004
· Henry MH, Smith DW, Masson MV: Reconstruction of Distal Radio-Ulnar Joint Instability. Journal of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. 4(1): 35-41, 2004
· Smith DW, Henry MH: The 45-degree Pronated Oblique View for Volar Fixed Angle Plating of Distal Radius Fractures. Journal of Hand Surgery. 29(4):703-706, 2004
· Clifton J, Smith DW, Henry MH: Symptomatic Progression of Congenital Ulnar Nerve Hypoplasia with Brachial Plexus Anomaly: Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, 20(6): 447-450, 2004
· Ilfeld BM, Smith DW, Enneking FK. Continuous Regional Analgesia Following Ambulatory Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery. American Journal of Orthopedics. 33(8): 405-408, 2004
· Smith DW, Drennan JR: Arthrogryposis Wrist Deformities: Results of Infantile Serial Casting. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 22(1): 44-47, 2003
· Smith DW, Henry MH: Comprehensive Management of Associated Soft Tissue Injuries in Distal Radius Fractures. Journal of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. 2: 153-164, 2002
· Smith DW, Henry MH, Beaver R: Internal Decompression of Dorsal Wrist Ganglions. Tech in Hand and Upper Extr Surg. 6(3): 145-151, 2002
· Dell PC, Smith DW: Combined Carpal Tunnel and Ulnar Nerve Release. Atlas of the Hand Clinics. WB Saunders. Philadelphia, PA. 7:273-276, 2002
· Hendricks A, Smith DW, Wright TW: Common Instability Patterns of the Wrist. Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Clinics of N. America. WB Saunders. Philadelphia, PA. 10(4): 541-556, 2001
· Miller SJ, Smith DW, Gaines RW: Intra-articular Osteoid Osteoma of the Acetabulum in a Six-Year-Old. Orthopaedics. 20(7): 654-655, 1997
· Childers MK, Smith DW, Rupright J: Post-traumatic Hyperthermia in Acute Brain Injury Rehabilitation. Brain Injury. 8(4): 335-343, 1994
POSTERS AND VIDEO PRESENTATIONS
· Smith DW, Ilfeld B, Enneking FK: Continuous Regional Analgesia in Ambulatory Pediatric Upper
Extremity Surgery. Poster presentation. Presented at the 57th Annual ASSH meeting, Phoenix, AZ, October 2002
· Smith DW, Moneim M: Technique for Late Repair in Chronic Distal Biceps Tendon Ruptures Using
Fascia Lata Autograft Through a Single Anterior Incision. Poster presentation. Presented at the 55th Annual ASSH meeting. Seattle, WA, October 2000
· Smith DW, Moneim M: Chronic Distal Biceps Tendon Ruptures: Technique of Delayed Repair with
Fascia Lata Autograft. Video Presentation. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery. Orlando, FL, March 2000