2023-2024 Applicant Information
A note from our Department Chair:
To our prospective students, residents, and fellows: please trust that our educational and research opportunities are unrivaled across the country. If you choose UT Ortho, you will have the opportunity to work in the Nation’s busiest Level One Trauma Center under internationally renowned surgeons, learning cutting edge Total Joint Arthroplasty techniques from the surgeons who developed them, or standing on the sidelines of our local professional, college and high school teams learning from international leaders in Sports Medicine; your educational experience will set a foundation you will respect and benefit from your entire career. I want to thank you for visiting our site and we hope you choose to provide us the opportunity of being your partner and educator.
Dr. Walter R. Lowe
McGovern Medical School at UTHealth, 1983
Sign up for our Virtual Open House on 10/10/2023 to learn more about our Residency Program Here : Open House Sign Up
We have provided this micro-site to house all the information you will need for this interview season.
For over fifty years we have maintained clinical and academic excellence in the training of outstanding physicians seeking careers in either the academic or private sectors. As Houston’s Health University, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston is the most comprehensive academic health center in the University of Texas system. One of the nation’s largest medical schools, we are proud to educate more health care professionals than any other health-related institute in the state.
Advantages of receiving Orthopaedic Surgery training at UTHealth include:
- Train in the largest medical center in the World with the busiest Level One Trauma Center in the Nation.
- Residency training includes clinical rotations with surgical and non-surgical experience in each major subspecialty within orthopedics. State-of-the-art surgical simulators and arthroscopic simulators allow residents to strengthen their surgical skills and receive immediate feedback.
- Internationally renowned subspecialty fellowship training in Trauma, Sports Medicine, Foot and Ankle, and Adult Reconstruction
- Universal success in board certification, fellowship attainment, and employment.
- Excellent case mix and numbers with over 30,000 surgeries performed in 2018-2019 . Learn more about 2018-2019 case numbers.
- Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center is the primary, private teaching hospital for McGovern Medical School at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) Together we are focused on advancing medicine through teaching, research, and exceptional patient care.
Resident and Fellow Life
Every year the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery hosts and participates in both educational conferences and social events. Some of the annual events include:
- Edward T. Smith Orthopaedic Lectureship
- Houston Ortho Trauma Symposium
- Resident vs. faculty softball tournament
- MS 150 bike ride
- Resident and fellow graduation
- Research Day
- Resident Roast
- Volunteer opportunities including serving our local community and international medical missions.
Life in Houston
Houston, the nation’s fourth-largest city, is bustling with culture and class. Its innovative energy has made it one of the fastest-growing cities and the largest medical city in the world with over 60 medical institutions in 2.1 square miles.
Here are some reasons to call Houston home:
- World-class medical care and innovations. Houston has long been a global leader in medical care, research, and innovation, making it a medical mecca to study and practice medicine. From the world’s largest medical center to its breakthrough medical advancements in cardiology, primary and cancer care — you’ll learn in an environment built on medicine.
- Houston means business. Known as the energy capital of the world, Houston is home to more than 20 Fortune 500 companies, the fourth highest in the nation. This means opportunities abound for your spouse or partner. It’s also been named the 1 city for minority entrepreneurs.
- It’s affordable. Houston’s cost of living is 26% below the top 20 cities in the U.S. With affordable housing and no city or state income tax, Houston won’t break your budget. Learn more about Houston neighborhoods.
- Culture and class. Houston is the most diverse city in the nation, with more than 145 different languages spoken and one-in-four residents born abroad. Its diversity spills into the city’s culture, as it offers a variety of artistic and cultural outlets to explore. The Museum District, alone, is home to almost 20 different arts and cultural institutions and its Theater Districts hosts seven different performing arts groups. Houston is named one of the Top 20 Places to Travel in 2020 excels in a number of categories.
- Good eats. With 10,000 restaurants in the city, Houston has something to suit every palate. From award-winning barbecue to world-class top chefs, it’s no wonder Houston was named the “newest capital of great food” by Food & Wine.
- Entertainment. From professional sports to cultural festivals, concerts to theatrical performances, there is always something happening in the city GQ Magazine called the “New Capital of the Southern Cool”.