Dr. Zandiyeh, Ph.D., directs the UT Health Biomotion Laboratories in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery. The Biomotion Laboratory conducts extensive preclinical and clinical research focusing on comprehensive biomechanical and electrophysiological measurements in-vivo. Studies utilize advanced 3D imaging (CT and MRI), dynamic assessment of joint function (Using a high-speed Dynamic Stereo X-ray (DSX) system), muscle activities (electromyography), and musculoskeletal modeling. The Biomotion Lab is focused on the following main topics: (1) To investigate how bone and joint injuries and their pathologies impact their dynamic movements during muscle-driven functional activities. (2) To improve diagnosis, treatment, and patient care for patients with orthopedic pathologies.
BioMotion Lab Team
- Payam Zandiyeh, Ph.D.
- Alonso Figueroa, MSc
- Jonathan Ross, BS
- Anton Poral, BS
- The impact of surgical treatments on the shoulder biomechanics following Acromioclavicular joint injury.
- In-vivo Biomechanics and Laxity measurements following ACL Reconstruction Surgery
- The role of biological augmentation on rotator cuff healing and shoulder mechanics post-surgery
- Predictive modeling and kinematic outcomes for Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty
- Effect of shoe orthotics on the lower limb biomechanics
- UTE MRI as a tool to evaluate the ligamentization process
- The role of fixation rigidity on fracture healing in lower limb
- The effects of TMJ Disorder treatment on muscle activation and jaw biomechanics
- Kupper, J.; Zandiyeh P., Ronsky J., “Empirical Joint Contact Mechanics: A Comprehensive Review”, Journal of Engineering in Medicine, May 2022, Under-review
- Lacheta L., Bradly A., Rosenberg S., Dekker T.J., Kashyap R., Dornan G.J., Zandiyeh P., Provencher M.T., Millet P.J., “Superior capsule reconstruction partially restores glenohumeral stability in massive posterosuperior rotator cuff deficiency – dynamic robotic shoulder model”, AM J Sports Med 2021
- Warth RJ, Zandiyeh P, Rao M, Gabr R, Tashman S, Kumaravel M, Narayana P, Lowe WR, Harner CD. “Quantitative assessment of in-vivo human ACL autograft remodeling: A three-dimensional UTE-T2* imaging study.” Am J Sports Med 2020;
- Wilson, S.; Dahl, K.; Dunford, K.; Foody, J.; Turnbull, T.; Zandiyeh, P.; Tashman, S. “Ski boot canting adjustments affect kinematic, kinetic, and postural control measures associated with fall and injury, “Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, ISSS Special Issue. May 2020.
- Wilson, S.; Dahl, K.; Foody, J.; Dunford, K.; Zandiyeh, P.; Tashman, S. “The potential effects of ski boot heel lifts on injury risk factors during skiing related tasks”, Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport.
- Zandiyeh P., Fu F.H., Irrgang J., Moore C., Musahl V., West R.V., Tashman S., Knee kinematic differences between anatomic single- vs. double-bundle ACL reconstruction: A randomized clinical trial, Submitted to AJSM
- Zandiyeh P., Kupper J., Goldsmith P., Mohtadi N.G.H., Ronsky J., Effect of stochastic resonance on proprioception and kinesthesia in anterior cruciate ligament reconstructed patients, Journal of Biomechanics, J Biomech. 2018 Dec 16. PII: S0021-9290(18)30908-4. DOI: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2018.12.018. PubMed PMID: 30579577
Refereed Abstracts/Papers in Conference Proceedings
- Zandiyeh P., Parola L.R., Fleming B.C., Beveridge J.E., Muscle activation patterns are chronically altered after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction, ORS 2021, Online
- Zandiyeh P., Warth R., Narayana P., Gabr R., Kumaravel M., Lowe W., Harner C., Tashman S., UTE T2* MRI shows evidence of tissue remodeling in ACL Graft Between 1 and 9 months after surgery, ISB/ASB 2019, Calgary, CA
- Zandiyeh P., Irrgang J. J., Fu F. H., Tashman S., Tibia-femoral kinematic changes following ACL reconstruction: a randomized clinical trial of S.B. vs. D.B., ISB/ASB 2019, Calgary, CA
- Zandiyeh P., Kupper J.C., Mohtadi N.G.H., Goldsmith P., Ronsky J., Effect of mechanical noise vibration on proprioception in anterior cruciate ligament reconstructed patients, ISB/ASB 2019, Calgary, CA
- Kupper J.C., Zandiyeh P., Beveridge J., Ritchie B., Kuntze G., Ronsky J.L., Continuous and interval-based approaches to calculating the weighted centroid of in vivo articular cartilage contact, OARSI 2019, Toronto, CA
- Warth R J., Kerl C., Hall M., Moody D., Bach J.P., Zandiyeh P., Tashman S., Gregory J.M., Reliability of UTE-T2* MRI mapping of the supraspinatus tendon, ORS 2018
- Tashman S., Zandiyeh P., Warth R.J., McDermott J.D., Narayan P., Gabr R., Kumaravel M., Lowe W., Harner C., ACL Graft remodeling revealed by serial UTE T2* MRI, ORS 2018
- Felfeliyan B., Kuntze G., Kupper J., Zandiyeh P., Ritchie B., Ronsky J., “Evaluation of the Reliability and Accuracy of an MRI based Bone Segmentation Algorithm” (CSB), 2018 Canadian Society for Biomechanics
- Felfeliyan B., Zandiyeh P., Kuntze G., Ronsky J.L., “Evaluation of The Reliability and Feasibility of MRI Based Bone Segmentation Algorithm for InVivo Studies” 2018, 5th McCaig MSKI Meeting