According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation, approximately one in two women and one in four men over age 50 will have an osteoporosis related fracture. These fractures can dramatically change the quality of life for patients and their families due to a loss of patient independence, significant disability and even death.
The Bone Health Clinic of UT Ortho provides comprehensive treatment for those with recent fractures that have metabolic bone disorders or bone loss related to osteoporosis. The clinic helps streamline referral and triage processes for patients, by bringing together consulting physicians from endocrinology and orthopedic trauma as well as physical therapy and rehabilitation. In addition to treatment, supportive care is provided by physician assistants and nurse practitioners who counsel in nutrition, physical therapy, vitamin supplementation and the latest uses of osteoporosis medications with the goal and focus of promoting bone health, reducing fracture risks, accelerating healing and preventing falls.
The Bone Health Clinic staffed by Dr. James F. Kellam, MD, Denise Hansen, PA-C and Christina Yazdani, PA-C gives personalized treatment recommendations based on individual bone density and laboratory testing. Our clinic is linked to the Memorial Hermann Fragility Fracture Program and the Texas Medical Center Fragility fracture Liaison Program.
The Bone Health Clinic at UT Ortho provides:
- Recognition and treatment of your fragility fracture can reduce the risk of future fractures by up to 50%.
- Treatment of your fragility fracture can stop the downward spiral in health and quality of life that often follows fractures.
- Diagnosis and treatment following an initial fragility fracture reduces the burden of suffering and further health care costs.
- Assessment of your bone health and appropriate preventative measures for falls and osteoporosis will reduce your chances of a fragility and its consequences
The Bone Health Clinic provides a comprehensive evaluation and treatment of:
- Fragility fractures ( fall from a standing height) prevention
- Osteoporosis evaluation and treatment
- Osteopenia (Low bone mass) evaluation and treatment
- Adult metabolic bone disease initial evaluation and treatment or referral
- Falls assessment and prevention program
The clinic offers increased availability of appointments and same-week consults if necessary.