Medical Student Research
Research productivity has become an increasingly important component of residency applications and general medical education. The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery has many research opportunities suitable for medical student involvement. These opportunities include clinical, laboratory, biomechanics, imaging, database, systematic review, and quality improvement projects. Other types of projects can be discussed on a case-by-case basis. Getting involved in research within the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery will necessitate completion of an online application that requires that following documentation:
- Valid CITI training certificates (total of 2 certificates)
- CITI Good Clinical Practice (GCP) certificate (PDF format)
- CITI Biomedical Personnel certificate (PDF format)
- Photograph (image formats only. Word processing documents will not be accepted)
- Updated CV (PDF format)
|Instructions for Obtaining CITI Training Certificates
(1) Go to citiprogram.org (https://about.citiprogram.org/en/homepage)
(2) Click Register on the top right. Create an account through your institution and log into the website. If you have already registered, click “Log In” and enter your username and password.
(3) Click on the UTHealth at Houston Course list (or applicable institution)
(4) Click “Add a Course” at the bottom.
a. Complete this course: “Group 1: Biomedical Researcher and Key Personnel”
b. Complete this course: “Good Clinical Practice (GCP)”
(5) Download and save a PDF version of each course completion certificate to your computer. These certificates will be uploaded as part of the online application form.
Once you have all your application materials ready to upload, please navigate to the Medical Student Research Application to complete the application. The application should take no longer than 5 minutes to complete if all documents are available.
*It is a requirement to now fill out this application in order to become involved with orthopedic research. This will help our team keep track of what students are interested in research and will allow us to put you on a study that fits your interests best.
What research labs are available to you?
- Biomechanics Lab
- CORIT Lab
- Biomotion Lab
- Clinical Research
Medical Student 1-year Fellowship