Student Mobile Device Support
Email Support for Student Smartphones
Please read this entire page before attempting to provision your smartphone for UTHealth email access – especially the sections regarding supported and unsupported devices.
Connectivity to the UTHSC-H Exchange e-mail system with an approved mobile device is now available to students.
Students are allowed to connect a single supported device to the UTHealth e-mail system. Multiple devices per student are not permitted at this time.
- Currently Supported Devices (as listed on University DCOS website)
- What To Do If Your Device Is Lost Or Stolen
- Provisioning Your Device For Email Access
- Activating A UT Email-Provisioned Apple iPhone, iPad Or iPod Touch
For additional FAQ information about smartphone policies and procedures, read the “iDevice” Policies and FAQ page located at:
Notify your LAN Manager immediately if your device is lost or stolen. UTHealth has the ability to remote wipe your device in this instance, but can only do so while the cellular account is still active.
After you have determined that your smartphone is eligible to connect to UTHealth email, you must next provision your email account for access to the UTHealth email system.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Obtain and activate your UTHealth network and email account (typically done during student orientation).
- Using your UTHealth network account, go to https://med.uth.edu/msit/help
- Log in using your UTHealth network UID and password. (Note: Some browsers, especially older versions of IE and Firefox, may take a minute or so to enter the form; please be patient.)
- When you reach the Help Desk Request form page, make sure your department is marked as LRC; if it is not, click Change Department and select it from the drop down list.
- Type in your telephone number in the Call Back Number field (required).
- Skip the Computer Name, Computer Number and Room Number fields.
- Select 1 (“I”) in the Year field.
- Skip the Choose Any That Apply field.
- In the Request field, type in the following statement (be sure to include your UID, or user ID):Please provision my [iPhone, iPod Touch] for UTHealth Exchange Email access. My UID is [insert your UID here].Example: “Please provision my iPhone for UTHealth Exchange Email access. My UID is jdoe.”
- Click the SUBMIT REQUEST button at the bottom of the form.
- Click the LOGOUT button to exit.
You will automatically receive an message in your UTHealth email account confirming that your request has been submitted.
Once your smartphone and email account have been provisioned for access to the UTHealth email system, you will receive another email confirming this. When you receive this message, you can take the final set of steps (see below) to activate your phone to send and receive email, contacts and calendar information.
If you have problems getting your iPhone to connect properly even after your account as been provisioned for email access, submit another MSIT Help Desk Request ticket to obtain further assistance.
To activate your iPhone or iPod Touch, follow these steps once your UT account has been provisioned for connectivity.
- From the iPhone Home Screen
- Tap Settings
- Tap Mail, Contacts & Calendars
- Tap Add Account
- Tap Microsoft Exchange
- Email Address: Enter UTHSC-H e-mail address
- Domain: uthouston
- Username: Enter UTHSC-H user id
- Password: Enter UTHSC-H password
- Tap Next
- Server: webmail.uth.tmc.edu
- Tap Next
- Select which items you want to sync (Mail, Contacts, Calendar)
- Tap Done
- Tap Continue when prompted for password
- Choose a password for the device (at least four characters)
- Tap Next
- Re-enter password
- Tap Done