Dr. Erin Furr-Stimming joined the Neurology faculty as an Assistant Professor in 2007 after completing her internship, residency and fellowship at McGovern Medical School-UTHealth. Her clinical expertise is evaluating and treating patients with Huntington’s disease (HD), Parkinson’s disease, atypical parkinsonian syndromes, focal and generalized dystonia, essential tremor and spasticity.
From 2011-2017, Dr. Furr-Stimming she served as Chief of Neurology at Lyndon Baines Johnson (LBJ) Hospital. In 2016, she was awarded 1 of 39 designated Level 2 Huntington’s Disease Society of America (HDSA) Centers of Excellence in the country and the only one in Texas. She has focused her clinical efforts on helping those with this devastating neurological disorder and raising awareness through education. She is currently an Associate Professor and is also Director of the Neurology Clerkship Program.
- Medical Degree
- Finch University of Health Sciences, The Chicago Medical School, Chicago, Illinois
- Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, Texas
- Neurology, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, Texas
- Movement Disorder, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, Texas
Areas of Interest
- Huntington’s Disease
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Neurodegenerative Disease
- Progressive Supranuclear Palsy
- Cortical Basal Ganglia Degeneration
- Multiple System Atrophy
- Lewy Body Dementia
- Measuring cerebrospinal fluid – A multi-site, prospective, longitudinal, cohort study measuring cerebrospinal fluid-mutant Huntington protein in patients with Huntington’s disease.
- Evaluating the dextromethorphan – Evaluating the efficacy of dextromethorphan/quinidine (DM/Q) in treating irritability in Huntington’s disease.
- Safety of Intrathecally RO7234 – A randomized, multi-center, double-blind, placebo-controlled, Phase III clinical study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of intrathecally administered RO7234292 (RG6042) in patients with manifest Huntington’s Disease.
HDSA Center of Excellence
We are 1 of 39 Huntington’s Disease Society of America (HDSA) Centers of Excellence and the only one in Texas! Please see our ongoing HD trials listed here.