Adult Neurology Residency Program
Welcome to the UTHealth Houston/McGovern Medical School Neurology Residency website! The UTHealth Houston Neurology program (formerly known at UT Houston) is one of the oldest residency programs in Texas. Located in the Texas Medical Center, we offer exposure to a vast array of practice models, diverse and complex clinical cases, and exciting research opportunities.
About our program
Nearly all subspecialties in neurology are well represented on our campus, and our faculty are comprised of highly accomplished neurologists, many of whom are pioneers and leaders in their fields. With 10 residents per class, there are ample opportunities to diversify clinical experience with electives or pursue other academic endeavors, such as the NIH-funded R25 program while also caring for a large volume of patients.
Residents spend about half their time between outpatient and inpatient rotations. Majority of the inpatient time is spent at the 1082-bed Memorial Hermann Hospital facility within the TMC. At the county level, we also rotate through Lyndon B Johnson Hospital and Smith Clinic, both part of the Harris Health System.
Some of our subspecialty strengths include:
- Vascular Neurology: The Memorial Hermann Hospital (MHH) Stroke Unit has served as a site for important landmark trials such as the NINDS tPA trials and continues to be a place where you can witness the translation of research ideas from bench to bedside. We are also home to the first mobile stroke unit in the country!
- Neuro-Trauma Intensive Care: Our Neuro-Trauma ICU is the largest in the area, with 48 beds and dedicated faculty specialized in Neurocritical Care.
- Epilepsy: Our Level 4 Comprehensive Epilepsy Program is one of the largest of its kind, with a robust surgical program, advanced imaging modalities such as MEG, a 7-bed Epilepsy Monitoring Unit, and a 5-bed Pediatric EMU. A dedicated epilepsy course is available to residents during PGY2 and 4 years.
- Multiple Sclerosis/Neuroimmunology: In addition to being an MS Comprehensive Center, we also house an MRI Analysis Center that participates in a number of phase 2 and phase 3 clinical trials. Our WASOG Multi-disciplinary Sarcoidosis center is the only one in the TMC and brings together neuroimmunology faculty with multiple other specialties to collaboratively work on all forms of granulomatous disease.
- Movement Disorders (UT MOVE): UT MOVE has been designated as a Huntington’s Disease Center of Excellence and is spearheading several clinical trials in this field. We are ranked in the top 10% nationally for Deep Brain Stimulation placements.
- Neuromuscular: We are a tertiary referral center for neuromuscular disease with its independent nerve, muscle, and skin pathology lab and a Center of Excellence for GBS/CIDP.
If you are passionate about neurology, hardworking, and envision yourself contributing to the field, either locally in Houston, nationally, or globally, consider training with us! The strength of our program lies in the deep camaraderie shared by residents and faculty, a strong clinical foundation, and an atmosphere that fosters intellectual curiosity and personal development.
Follow us on social media: Instagram – uthealth_neuro ; Twitter – uthealth_neuro
Suur Biliciler, MD
Melissa Christie, MD
Assistant Program Director
Aidan Azher, MD
Assistant Program Director
Applications to the UTHealth Houston Neurology Residency Program are only accepted through the ERAS (Electronic Residency Application System) . All applicants must register with the NRMP (National Resident Matching Program) for the upcoming year.