Manisha Bawa, MD
- Assistant Professor
- Medical Director, Inpatient Rehabilitation
- Attending Physician, Memorial Hermann Southwest
Manisha Bawa, M.D., an Assistant Professor in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at McGovern Medical School at UTHealth, received her medical degree at the Saint Petersburg State Medical Academy in Saint Petersburg, Russia in 2003. She completed her internship and residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the State University of New York Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn, NY in 2015. She then did her fellowship in Neurorehabilitation at the Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, NC in 2016. She served as a faculty member of the East Carolina University in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation prior to joining UTHealth in Houston.
Dr. Bawa’s primary specialty is in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and her secondary specialty is in Neurorehabilitation. She is currently the Medical Director of the Inpatient Rehabilitation at the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and an Attending Physician at Memorial Hermann Southwest, a part of the Memorial Hermann Rehabilitation Network. Dr. Bawa is a member of the Association of Academic Physiatrists (AAP) and the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPM&R). She is board certified by the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
She offers Inpatient Rehabilitation Consultative Services for persons who have sustained:
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Brain Tumors
- Anoxic Brain Injury
- Spinal Cord Injury and Disorders
- Neurodegenerative Diseases and Disorders
- Multiple Traumas
- Dual Diagnosis Injuries – Brain Injury/Spinal Cord Injury
- Neuromuscular Disorders
Dr. Bawa realizes the importance of getting to know her patients and their goals. She believes in actively listening and acknowledging each trial and triumph during the rehabilitation process and strives for patient education and empowerment. With a clinical interest in neurorehab, Dr. Bawa takes a team approach to optimize her patients’ outcomes.
Away from the office, Dr. Bawa likes spending time with family and travelling.
- Medical School
- Saint Petersburg State Medical Academy, Saint Petersburg, Russia (2003)
- Internship & Residency
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY (2015)
- Neurorehabilitation, Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Winston-Salem, NC (2016)
Areas of Interests
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Spasticity Management
- Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation