Our center welcomes visiting colleagues and students from across the United States and around the world for research, educational collaboration, observation, and study.
- Observer– Individuals who observe university operations for their own educational or training purposes. The duration of the observation period is limited to no more than two months in any one division/department.
- Pre-Baccalaureate Trainee-High school or undergraduate students who seek hands on training and experience in preparation for a health sciences education. Pre-Baccalaureate Trainees receive specific training in research and health education, appropriate to their educational qualifications.
- Professional Trainee-Professionals who hold an undergraduate or higher degree and seek additional hands-on training in the health sciences. Professional Trainees receive specific training in research and health education, appropriate to their educational qualifications.
- Visiting Student Trainee-Students who receive hands on training from UTHealth faculty and staff, but are not registered and enrolled in a course at UTHealth. Hands on training only applies to the aspects of research. To be qualified for this category, the Visiting Student Trainee must be enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate or professional degree program at another institution and the training at UTHealth must fulfill an educational requirement of that program. A letter from your institution is required.
- Visiting Scientist– Scientists who collaborate with UTHealth faculty and staff while being employed and paid by another institution. The Visiting Scientist may not perform patient care but may observe clinical practices, conduct research, perform data collection, and participate in other hands-on activities. An Agreement may be required before the visit can begin.
For information regarding our application requirements and restrictions please visit the Executive Vice President & Chief Academic Officer website.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted 90 days prior to your desired start date. The application process takes 6 to 8 weeks for processing.
- Visitors must have prior approval by requested sponsoring faculty.
- Application must be typed and signed by applicant.
- Pages 1-4 must be completed.
- Sterling Background Check form must be completed and signed.
- VH-1 Health form must be completed.
- Application must be submitted in full with requested documentation.
- Requested visitation category may be changed if all category criteria is not met.
- Additional information may be requested accordingly.
- All fees must be paid prior to submission of your application, if applicable.
An application processing fee ($750.00 USD if paid by money order or $775.00 USD if paid by wire transfer) will be charged to all Foreign Observers and Foreign Professional Trainees.
Note: Applications for the months of May, June, July, and August will be approved in accordance with space availability.
Please contact the Program Coordinator for additional information.