- Case Files: Family Medicine, (4th ed) Toy EC, Briscoe D, Dumas, CA, Briton, Heidelbaugh, McGraw-Hill Education 2016.
- Textbook of Family Medicine, Rakel, RE (9th ed). Elsevier, 2006.
- Essential Family Medicine, Fundamentals and Cases, Rakel, RE. W.B. (3rd ed) Saunders Co. 2006.
- Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Family Medicine, (4th ed).South-Paul J, McGraw-Hill Education 2015.
- Swanson’s Family Medicine Review, Tallia AF, Scherger JE, Dickey NW, (8th ed). Elsevier 2017.
- First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK, Le T, Bhushan V, Skapik J. (9th ed). McGraw-Hill Publishing Co. 2016.
- Crush Step 3: the Ultimate USMLE Step 3 Review, Brochert a. (4th ed). W.B. Saunders Co. 2013.
- Pfenninger & Fowler’s Procedures for Primary Care, Pfenninger, JL, Fowler, GC (3rd eds); Elsevier, 2010.
Online Learning Resources
Family Medicine Organizations
- American Academy of Family Physician (AAFP)
- Texas Academy of Family Physicians (TAFP)
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM)
- Area Health Education Center (AHEC)
The Glenda M. Goodine and Thomas J. Murphy Student Award
This award is to provide an opportunity for the student to develop a better understanding of the value and relevance of Family Medicine as an essential component of health care delivery in
This award was established in 2018, and is funded by Drs. Glenda M. Goodine and Thomas J. Murphy.
• Applicant must have completed their 3rd year of medical school;
• Applicant must be in good standing;
• Applicant must have earned a grade of High Pass or Honors in their 3rd year of the Family
• Participated in other Family Medicine extracurricular activities
• Submit a 2000 word essay on a topic relevant and timely for Family Medicine;
• List of Family Medicine extracurricular activities;
• Current Photo of Applicant
To set up an interview with the Award Committee, interested applicants should contact Norma L. Garcia at 713-500-7604 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All pertinent materials should be submitted before the interview date tentatively set the week of March 1, 2021.
Award Amount: $2,500
Application EXTENDED Deadline Date: March 15, 2021
Notification to Recipient of Award:
Award winners will be notified by April 1, 2021. A check for $2500 will be mailed to the award
recipient following the award notification.
Harris County Academy of Family Physicians
Harold T. Pruessner, MD Medical Student Award
In 1995, the Harris County Academy of Family Physicians, through the TAFP Foundation, established a scholarship in honor of Harold T. Pruessner, MD. From 2000 through 2003, a Shooting Star Gala fundraising event was held annually to support this scholarship fund. Members of the Harris County Academy of Family Physicians continue to support the scholarship fund through membership in the Century Club. Individuals and organizations committed to encouraging the practice of Family Medicine provide additional financial support.
Since July 2001, when the first scholarships were awarded, two scholarships have been awarded annually to deserving medical students, one from Baylor College of Medicine and one from the McGovern Medical School. Beginning in 2008, the amount was increased to $2000 each. The addition of the University of Houston College of Medicine has implemented a new change. Beginning in 2021, one $5000 scholarship will be awarded to a Houston area student once they match into a Family Medicine residency program.
• Applicant must be a third-year medical student in good standing;
• Applicant must have a strong interest in practicing family medicine or have already chosen family medicine as his/her specialty;
• Although it is not a requirement, special consideration may be given to students considering practicing in medically underserved areas.
To set up an interview with a member of the Scholarship Committee, interested students should contact Norma L. Garcia, assistant to Michael Altman, MD, Scholarship Committee Chair, at 713-500-7604, or Norma.L.Garcia@uth.tmc.edu by August 13, 2021.
The student will need to provide
(1) his or her transcript or letter of good standing from the Office of Student Affairs
(2) a letter of recommendation from a professor or clinical observer
(3) a very brief (less than one page) personal statement
(4) a note or letter of recommendation from a family physician (can be equally brief, even hand-written)
will be very helpful.
Notification of Recipients and Presentation of Scholarships:
The scholarship recipient will be notified by the end of October. For this purpose, applicants should provider written contact information at the time of their interviews. At the November 2021 Harris County Academy of Family Physicians meeting, scholarship recipients will be recognized.
Scholarship funds are contingent on matching into a Family Medicine residence program. A check for $5000 will be mailed to the scholarship recipient following the 2022 match results.
If the selected recipient does not enter a Family Medicine residency program, the runner-up who matches in Family Medicine will receive the funds.