- Case Files: Family Medicine, (4th ed) Toy EC, Briscoe D, Dumas, CA, Briton, Heidelbaugh, McGraw-Hill Education 2016.
- Textbook of Family Medicine, Rakel, RE (9th ed). Elsevier, 2006.
- Essential Family Medicine, Fundamentals and Cases, Rakel, RE. W.B. (3rd ed) Saunders Co. 2006.
- Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Family Medicine, (4th ed).South-Paul J, McGraw-Hill Education 2015.
- Swanson’s Family Medicine Review, Tallia AF, Scherger JE, Dickey NW, (8th ed). Elsevier 2017.
- First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK, Le T, Bhushan V, Skapik J. (9th ed). McGraw-Hill Publishing Co. 2016.
- Crush Step 3: the Ultimate USMLE Step 3 Review, Brochert a. (4th ed). W.B. Saunders Co. 2013.
- Pfenninger & Fowler’s Procedures for Primary Care, Pfenninger, JL, Fowler, GC (3rd eds); Elsevier, 2010.
Online Learning Resources
Family Medicine Organizations
- American Academy of Family Physician (AAFP)
- Texas Academy of Family Physicians (TAFP)
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM)
- Area Health Education Center (AHEC)
The Glenda M. Goodine and Thomas J. Murphy Student Award
This award is to provide an opportunity for the student to develop a better understanding of the value and relevance of Family Medicine as an essential component of health care delivery in
This award was established in 2018, and is funded by Drs. Glenda M. Goodine and Thomas J. Murphy.
• Applicant must have completed their 3rd year of medical school;
• Applicant must be in good standing;
• Applicant must have earned a grade of High Pass or Honors in their 3rd year of the Family
• Participated in other Family Medicine extracurricular activities
• Submit a 2000 word essay on a topic relevant and timely for Family Medicine;
• List of Family Medicine extracurricular activities;
• Current Photo of Applicant
To set up an interview with the Award Committee, interested applicants should contact Norma L. Garcia at 713-500-7604 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All pertinent materials should be submitted before the interview date tentatively set the week of March 1, 2021.
Award Amount: $2,500
Application EXTENDED Deadline Date: March 15, 2021
Notification to Recipient of Award:
Award winners will be notified by April 1, 2021. A check for $2500 will be mailed to the award
recipient following the award notification.