Education & Training
- University of Michigan, 1970
Areas of Interests
- Research Interest
- Gastrointestinal Physiology and Medical Education
Gastrointestinal Physiology and Medical Education
The overall goal of my research has been to better understand the biology of gastrointestinal smooth muscle. Gastrointestinal smooth muscle is extremely responsive to neural, hormonal, and local influences. Because of this, alterations of gastric and intestinal motility are common manifestations of many disease processes. Although I still collaborate with other investigators who are studying the effects of injury on gastrointestinal function, my main focus now is on teaching dental, graduate, and medical students. In addition to standard lectures, I am involved in implementing and conducting problem-based learning and team-based learning exercises. Furthermore, I am involved in developing and utilizing computer-based programs for education. In the near future I also will be helping junior faculty develop their teaching skills.
- Williams K, Koyama T, Schulz D, Kaluza GL, Pautler RG, Weisbrodt N, Conner ME. (2011). Use of Fluoroscopy to Study In Vivo Motility in Mouse Pups. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr, 52, 679-685.
- Zhu H, Li JT, Zheng F, Martin E, Kots AY, Krumenacker JS, Choi BK, McCutcheon IE, Weisbrodt N, Bögler O, Murad F, Bian K. (2011). Restoring soluble guanylyl cyclase expression and function blocks the aggressive course of glioma. Mol Pharmacol, 80, 1076-84.
- Ward JL, Adams SD, Delano BA, Clarke C, Radhakrishnan RS, Weisbrodt NW, and Mercer DW. (2010). Ketamine suppresses LPS-induced bile reflux and gastric bleeding in the rat. J Trauma 68, 69-75.
- Radhakrishnan RS, Radhakrishnan HR, Xue H, Moore-Olufemi SD, Mathur AB, Weisbrodt NW, Moore FA, Allen SJ, Laine GA, and Cox CS, Jr. (2007). Hypertonic saline reverses stiffness in a Sprague-Dawley rat model of acute intestinal edema, leading to improved intestinal function. Crit Care Med. 35:538-543.
- Weisbrodt NW. (2007). Regulation: Nerves and Smooth Muscle. Gastro Physio, Seventh Edition (L.R. Johnson, ed.) Mosby, Inc., Philadelphia, pp 13-22.
- Weisbrodt NW. (2007). Swallowing. Gastro Physio Seventh Edition (L.R. Johnson, ed.) Mosby, Inc., Philadelphia, pp 23-30.
- Weisbrodt NW. (2007). Bile Secretion and Gallbladder Function. Gastro Physio Seventh Edition (L.R. Johnson, ed.) Mosby, Inc., Philadelphia, pp 97-106.
- Toy EC, Weisbrodt N, Dubinsky WP, O’Neil RG, Walters ET, and Harms KP. (2006). Case Files: Physiology. Lange Medical Books/McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Weisbrodt NW. (2003). Striated Muscle. Essential Med Physio Third Edition (L.R. Johnson, ed.) Elsevier Academic Press, San Diego, pp 123-136.