Dr. Zhang received her PhD from Medical College of Wisconsin in 2005. In December 2016, Dr. Zhang joined UTHealth as an Associate Professor in the Division of Clinical and Translational Sciences in the Department of Internal Medicine at McGovern Medical School, and in the Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Research Design (BERD) component of Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences (CCTS), at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth). Prior to joining UTHealth, Dr. Zhang worked as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Georgia State University from 2005 to 2012 and an Associate Professor in the Center of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics at University of Mississippi Medical Center from 2013 to 2016. She has experience on different topics in the area of time-to-event data analysis including competing risks, truncation and treatment effect evaluation. Her research interest also includes development of novel statistical methods and tools to solve real-world problems. Since 2006, Dr. Zhang has developed collaborations with Departments of Anesthesiology and Radiology, and the Center for Translational Injury Research (CeTIR) at UTHealth. Currently, Dr. Zhang collaborates with Dr. Rahbar, Director of the regional Data Coordinating Center (RDCC), for a clinical trial as part of Rapid Acceleration of Diagnostics (RADx) initiative for COVID-19 with focus on Underserved Populations (RADx-UP) program. This program focuses on three areas of the state with high infection rates – South Texas, Houston/Harris County, and Northeast Texas. Study partners include The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV), and The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler (UTHSCT).
- Medical College of Wisconsin
Statistical Methods Research
- Zhang X, Zhang MJ (2011). SAS macros for estimation of direct adjusted cumulative incidence curves under proportional subdistribution hazards models. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 101:87-93
- Zhang X, Zhang MJ, Fine JP (2011). A proportional hazards regression model for the subdistribution with right censored and left truncated competing risks data. Statistics in Medicine 30:1933-1951
- Zhang X, Akcin H, Lim HJ (2011). Regression analysis of competing risks data via semi-parametric additive hazards model. Statistical Methods and Applications 20:357-381
- Zhang X, Akcin H (2012). A SAS macro for direct adjusted survival curves based on Aalen’s additive model. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 108:310-317
- Zhang X (2012). Nonparametric inference for inverse probability weighted estimators with a randomly truncated sample. Journal of Data Science 10:673-691
- Zhang X (2015). Nonparametric inference for an inverse-probability-weighted estimator with doubly truncated data. Communications in Statistics – Simulation and Computation 44:489-504
- Wang H and Zhang X (2016). Confidence band for the differences between two direct adjusted survival curves. Journal of Statistical Software 70, doi:10.18637/jss.v070.c02
- Zhang X, Li J and Liu Y (2017). Inference for probability of selection with dependently truncated data using a Cox model. Communications in Statistics – Simulation and Computation 46:1944-57
- Liu Y, Li J, Zhang X (2018). Analysis of dependently truncated data in Cox framework. Communications in Statistics-Simulations and Computation 47: 1677-1695
- Qi L, Zhang X, Wang L, Sun Y, Wang L, Zhao Y (2019). Weighted estimators for additive hazards models with missing covariates. Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics 71:365–387
Collaborative Clinical Research
- Tariq S, Syed M, Martin T, Zhang X, Schmitz M (2018). Rates of perioperative respiratory adverse events among Caucasian and African American children undergoing general anesthesia. Anesthesia & Analgesia 127: 181-187
- Vejpongsa V, Zhang X, Bhise V, Kitkungvan D, Shivan Murthy P, Anderson HV, Balan P, Nguyen TC, Estrera AL, Dougherty AH, Smalling RW, Dhoble A (2018) Risk prediction model for permanent pacemaker implantation after transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Structural Hear: The Journal of the Heart Team 2(4): 328-335
- Chiadika S, Lim-Fung M, Llanos-Chea F, Canache AS, Yang W, Paruthi C, Zhang X, McPherson DD, Idowu M (2018). Echocardiographic parameters to identify sickle cell patients with cardio-pathology. Echocardiography 35(9):1271-1276, 2018
- Cardenas JC, Zhang X, Fox EE, Cotton BA, Hess JR, Wade CE, Holcomb JB (2018). Platelet transfusions improve hemostasis and survival in a substudy of the prospective, randomized PROPPR trial. Blood Advances 2(14):1696-1704, 2018
- Smith AD, Carson JD, Sirous R, Sanyal R, Remer EM, Alllen BC, Cox KL, Shuch B, Elkassem AA, Zhang X (2019). Active Surveillance Versus Nephron-Sparing Surgery for a Bosniak IIF or III Renal Cyst: A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. American Journal of Roentgenology 212:830-838.
- Rowland B, Savarraj J, Karri J, Zhang X, Cardenas J, Choi HA, Holcomb JB, Wade CE (2020). Acute inflammation in Traumatic Brain Injury and Polytrauma patients using network analysis. Shock 53(1):24-34
- Rosenbaum Halevi D, Bursaw AW, Karamchandani RR, Alderman SE, Breier JI, Vahidy FS, Aden JK, Cai C, Zhang X, Savitz SI (2019) Cognitive Deficits in Acute Mild Ischemic Stroke and TIA and Effects of rt‐PA Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology 6(3):466-474
- Haque ME, Gabr RE, George SD, Boren SB, Vahidy FS, Zhang X, Arevalo OD, Alderman S, Narayana PA, Hasan KM, Friedman ER, Sitton CW, Savitz SI (2019). Serial cerebral metabolic changes in patients with ischemic stroke treated with autologous bone marrow derived mononuclear cells. Frontiers in Neurology, doi.org/10.3389/fneur.2019.00141
- Haque ME, Gabr RE, Hasan KM, George SD, Arevalo OD, Zha AM, Alderman S, Jeevarajan J, Mas MF, Zhang X, Satani N, Friedman ER, Sitton CW, Savitz SI (2019). Ongoing Secondary Degeneration of the Limbic System in Patients with Ischemic Stroke: A Longitudinal MRI Study. Frontiers in Neurology, doi: 10.3389/fneur.2019.00154
- Bradley SL, Kwater AP, Cooke JM, Pivalizza CM, Zhang X, Sridhar S, Gumbert SD, Pivalizza EG (2019). Comparison of temporal artery temperature and bladder temperature in the postanesthesia care unit. Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings, doi.org/10.1080/08998280.2019.1624097
- Haque ME, Gabr RE, George S, Zhao X, Boren S, Zhang X, Ting MS, Sun G, Hasan KM, Savitz SI, Aronowski J. (2019). Serial Metabolic Evaluation of Perihematoma Tissues in the Intracerebral Hemorrhage Pig Model. Frontiers in Neuroscience, https://doi.org/10.3389/fnins.2019.00888
- Berekashvili K, Zha A, Abdel-Al M, Zhang, X, Soomro J, Prater, SJ, Grotta JC (2020). Emergency Medicine Physicians Can Accurately Select Acute Stroke Patients for tPA Treatment Using a Checklist. Stroke 51:663-665
- Lee JW, Koeppen M, Seo SW, Bowser JL, Yuan X, Sibilia M, Ambardekar AV, Zhang X, Eckle T, Yoo SH, Eltzschig HK (2019). Transcription-independent induction of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor through hypoxia-inducible factor HIF2A provides cardio-protection during ischemia and reperfusion. Anesthesiology 132:763-780
- Harris AD, Hubbard RM, Sam RM, Zhang X, Salazar J, Gautaum NK (2020). A retrospective analysis of the use of 3-factor prothrombin complex concentrates for refractory bleeding after cardiopulmonary bypass in children undergoing heart surgery: A matched case-control study. Semin Cardiothoracic Vasc Anesth 24(3):227-231
- Kim C, Niekamp A, Pillai AS, Leon R, Soni J, McNutt M, Zhang X, Ghobryal B, Kalva S, Pillai AK (2020). Quality improvement project: Improving interventional radiology response times for level I trauma embolization. Journal of the American College of Radiology 17(6):791-795.
- Fournier LE, Beauchamp JES, Zhang X, Bonojo E, Love M, Cooksey G, Hinojosa E, Okpala MN, Savitz SI, Sharrief AZ (2020). Assessment of the Progression of Poststroke Depression in Ischemic Stroke Patients Using the Patient Health Questionnaire-9. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases 29(4):104561.
- Jones EM, Okpala M, Zhang X, Parsha K, Keser Z, Kim CY, Wang A, Okpala N, Jagolino A, Savitz SI, Sharrief AZ (2020). Racial disparities in post-stroke functional outcomes in young patients with ischemic stroke. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases 29(8):104987. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2020.104987
- Beckmann N, Chinapuvvula NR, Zhang X, West OC (2020). Epidemiology and Imaging Classification of Pediatric Cervical Spine Injuries: Twelve Year Experience at a Level 1 Trauma Center. American Journal of Roentgenology 214(6):1359-1368.
- Jordan RW, Beckmann NM, Johnson JH, Zhang X, Chinapuvvula NR (2020). Characterization of all-terrain vehicle-related thoracolumbar spine injury patterns in children using the AOSpine classification system. Emergency Radiology, DOI : 10.1007/s10140-020-01762-9
- Ganji V, Tangpricha V, Zhang X (2020). Serum Vitamin D Concentration 75 nmol/L Is Related to Decreased Cardiometabolic and Inflammatory Biomarkers, Metabolic Syndrome, and Diabetes; and Increased Cardiorespiratory Fitness in US Adults. Nutrients, doi:10.3390/nu12030730
- Kamali A, Sullivan KC, Rahmani F, Gandhi A, Aein A, Arevalo O, Rabiei P, Choi SJ, Zhang X, Gabr RE, Riascos RF (2020). Indentation and transverse diameter of the Meckel’s caves: Imaging markers to diagnose idiopathic intracranial hypertension. American Journal of Neuroradiology, https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A6682
- Gabr RE, Lincoln JA, Kamali A, Arevalo O, Zhang X, Sun X, Hasan KM, Narayana PA (2020). Sensitive detection of infratentorial and upper cervical cord lesions in multiple sclerosis with combined 3D FLAIR and T2-weighted (FLAIR3) imaging. American Journal of Neuroradiology, DOI: https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A6797
- Khanpara SD, McCarty JL, Schmitt KM, Stark JR, Est OC, Zhang X, Riascos RF (2020). Atlanto-occipital distraction injuries in survivors: craniometrics and associated ligamentous, spinal cord, and blunt cerebrovascular injury. Emerg Radiol (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10140-020-01827-9
- Beckmann NM, Cheekatla SK, Chinapuvvula NR, Zhang X, West OC (2020). Accuracy of Craniocervical Measurements on CT for Identifying Partial or Complete Craniocervical Ligament Injuries in Pediatric Patients. Skeletal Radiology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00256-020-03555-0