John P. Higgins, MD, MBA (Hons), MPHIL, FACC, FACP, FAHA, FACSM, FASNC, FSGC
- Professor, Cardiovascular Medicine
- General Cardiology
Professor of Medicine at The McGovern Medical School at The University of Texas, Chief of Cardiology at Lyndon B. Johnson General Hospital, and Director of Exercise Physiology, Memorial Hermann Institute for Sports Medicine and Human Performance, & a Sports Cardiologist with the Houston Rockets and Rice Athletics.
- M.D.: University of Queensland, Australia;
- M.PHIL. Masters in Philosophy: University of Cambridge, England;
- M.B.A.: George Washington University, Washington, DC – with Honors
Cardiology Fellowship: Brigham and Women’s Hospital-Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts.
Received the prestigious annual Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award 8 times.
- Screening athletes
- Energy drinks
- Smartphone Apps & Activity Trackers
He has appeared 600+ times on local TV & radio including CNN & ABC World News. He is the author of 2 books, 2 book chapters, 55 manuscripts, 250 web-based publications, 3 YouTube, 16 abstracts, and the Houston Chronicle newspaper 9 times.
He believes that “exercise is medicine”: has completed 13 marathons & the 10×10 challenge (running 10 miles/day for 10 consecutive days = total 100 miles).
His favorite quote:
“Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” — Christopher Robin to Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne’s Winnie the Pooh)
- Medical Degree
- University of Queensland, Australia
- Masters Degree
- Philosophy, University of Cambridge, England
- Master Business Administration
- The George Washington University, Washington, DC
- University of Missouri-Columbia
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital & Harvard Medical School