Medical School Student Computer Policies for Entering Class of 2011
In order to fully utilize information resources required by the faculty during your education, the school requires that all incoming medical students have laptop computers that meet the following specific minimal requirements:
The following computer specifications are the minimum requirements:
- Inter Core2 Duo Processor (PC or Mac)
- 2 GB RAM (PC or Mac)
- Monitor screen resolution 1024 x 768 pixels or better (PC or Mac)
- Graphics Card : 512MB available memory (PC or Mac)
- 10/100 Network Interface Card (PC or Mac)
- Wireless Card (802.11 b/g/n) (PC or Mac)
- 3 year warranty (PC or Mac)
- Anti-Virus Software (PC or Mac)
- Windows 7 (32 bit version) (for PC) / OS 10.5 or higher (for Mac)
- Virtual Machine Software (VMWare Fusion 3.0 or Parallels) AND Windows 7 (for Mac)
- Netbooks and MacBook Airs are not acceptable.
The recommended requirements allow for the use of Macs, but please be advised that if you choose to purchase a Mac,¬†it must adhere to all of the minimum specifications including MS Windows 7 and VMWare/Parallels. This information can also be¬†reviewed online.
You are required to attend the computer orientation with your laptop as it will be checked to see if it meets the minimal requirements listed above.
Please be advised that your laptop must meet the minimal specified requirements, in order for you to participate in required classroom activities.
Students will have the option of having their laptops configured with the software needed for their medical education at the UTHSC-H Medical School.
If you have questions about these requirements or need further assistance, please contact:
Systems & Applications Specialist I
Medical School Information Technology
Location: Room MSB G.200
Last modified: March 24, 2016