Biography

Dr. Ganesh received her Ph.D. under the supervision of Dr. Michael Blaut from the German Institute of Human Nutrition-Potsdam Rehbruecke (DIfE), Leibniz institute, Germany from 2010 to 2014. Shortly thereafter, she relocated to Houston, TX for her post-doctoral training where she was trained by Dr. James Versalovic in the Department of Pathology and Immunology at Baylor College of Medicine from 2014 to 2017. She in-between held a visiting scientist position at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge from 2014-2016 where she was trained by Dr. James Fox. After post-doctoral training at Baylor, she joined the department of Neurology (BRAINS lab) led by Dr. Louise McCullough at University of Texas Health Science Center Houston (UTHSC) as a senior postdoctoral fellow, Texas, USA from 2017 to 2018. In 2018, she was promoted as an Assistant Professor in the department of Neurology. Currently, her primary interest lies on investigating signaling mechanisms involved in gut-brain axis interactions in aging-associated cerebrovascular diseases especially, stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Neonatal Hypoxic encephalopathy at UTHSC.

Education

Bachelors Degree
Life Sciences and Bio-Informatics, ADU, India
Masters Degree
Biotechnology, University of Ulster, United Kingdom
Doctorate Degree
Gastrointestinal Microbiology, DlfE-Potsdam, Germany

Areas of Interest

Clinical Interests

Intrinsic connection between vascular diseases and exacerbation of gut inflammation

Research Interests

My research focus mainly on the role of microbiome on stroke, hypertension, cerebral amyloid angiopathy, AD and other aging related diseases. The long-term goal of my research is to elucidate the role of intestinal microbiome in interfering with intestinal epithelial homeostasis causing onset and activation of chronic inflammation with respect to neurodegenerative diseases associated with aging. Throughout my career, my research has been focused on intestinal inflammation with respect to the role of gut microbiota in pathogenesis of inflammatory diseases. Additionally, I am interested in how microbiota can be beneficially manipulated for better health outcomes.

Currently, my research is focused on the “BRAIN-GUT Axis”. We are investigating how the interaction of the microbiome and their secretory products on modulating physiology of brain in diseases of age. I have been involved in the development of novel germ-free rodent models that help us understand the interaction between single or multiple known bacterial species and their secretory products on shaping intestinal epithelium and beyond. I have used germ-free mouse models extensively to investigate the effects of both pathogenic or beneficial (probiotic) bacteria in understanding the role of different bacteria in gut homeostasis. In addition, I am looking at the interactions between the microbiome and its secretory products on modulating goblet cell physiology of mucus synthesis. I hope to identify the changes in mucosal modifications, including the immune response with respect to dysbiotic gut microbiome as possible biomarkers in predicting aging related diseases at an earlier stage.